VT Warranty - unsure what to do!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by rsnissan, Apr 15, 2018.

1. rsnissan

rsnissan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok So i love my Panasonic VT50. I have a couple of other TVs in the house (more modern edge lit LCD etc) and in my mind the VT still outshines for cinematic content. The last couple of years I have noticed the the fairly common (I gather) very faint yellow blobs. I understand the problem is heat related and the VSUS Pot Adjustment fix.

I do however have 8 months of warranty left and am wondering if I should get this looked at. I am not keen of having the set messed about with (I only really notice the yellow blobs on a white background) and having to send the TV away for a third party to look at. However when I bought this TV it was the flagship Panny plasma and I would like it to be perfect really.

I am wondering if this may get worse and If I should just wait until then (if its out of warranty, just make the adjustment myself. Or just bite the bullet and get it looked at now. As I understand it the panel will probably need to be replaced (if its still available) if not then its a replacement TV.

What would you do?

2. IrritatedBadger

IrritatedBadger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,055
    Get it looked at for free inside the warranty period.

3. rsnissan

rsnissan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, i'll get it looked at then Cheers!

4. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,251
    Just to add to this I got mine repaired for this in Jan 2017, the TV being just over 4 years old at the time.

Usually with Panny they have a local authorised agent that will come to your house and assess it and they would be responsible for taking it away and subsequent fix so you don't need to worry about shipping it. They might also ask for photos before hand too.

They tried the VSUS Pot Adjustment fix, I had also tried it too first and it didn't solve the problem. Altered it maybe a bit but it was still visible.

They managed to source a panel for me that they then fitted, whilst the TV was out I had a loan TV and on return all seemed good. I did some tests on the all white backgrounds and variations and could not see any of the previous issues, so I believed that they did swap the panel etc.

However fast forward just over a year and the yellow is back worst than before and my TV is out of warranty. I noticed it again last night watching something.

I notice it on white screens and its mainly the right hand side almost top to bottom a third of the way in to close to the right edge. Then another in the top left.

The apparent cause and I can well believe is that there are some hot circuit boards under that part of the screen and its these that cause the screen damage. As the VT50 has an additional glass screen over the GT50 this buildup requires fans to cool. It appears not enough cooling is being done.

By all means get it repaired, if they can still source a panel then it should resolve it but for how long who knows.

I am now wondering what to do. The TV is five and half years old so just in the 6 years sales of goods act time period so could complain to the retailer. However I have also had five and half years of use from it so that would certainly be deductible from any amount. I don't want to buy a new TV at the moment but don't know whether it is worth pursuing or not.

My old panel was calibrated professionally and this one I have lifted the settings from the old one and it looks very good still apart from this issue. I am not too bothered about 4K at the moment as that would require further upgrade of other kit to support it but am stuck with a yellowing TV :(

5. rsnissan

rsnissan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that, I have booked it in to be collected. If its likely to get worse. Its odd your issue has come back (worse) with a replacement panel after only a year though!

6. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,251
    I am surmising now but I suspect what I have are two failures here. The damage to the panel which is obvious with the yellow pee in the snow effect. The cause of this though would appear to be heat. The second issue is, I suspect the boards in the area of the blobs as they age have become hotter\and or the cooling is not as effective as they do quite dusty. It's this heat issue that would cause a new panel to fail over time too.

Again this is just my hypothesis but incidentally I did test it with a laser temperature gun and the surface of the TV is hotter where the yellow is ...

What size was your TV, mine was a 55" and they did have a panel for it. Other people having issues with 65" ones at around the same time weren't so "lucky" so were offered a replacement LCD set :eek:

7. rsnissan

rsnissan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the feeback. I am assuming they would have cleaned out the dust from the fan apreture. If not I will have to the hoover on that area once its back assuming they do have a pannel available to swap out.

Thats a good idea re: the temperature gun I might have to give that a try later on just to confirm what I already suspect.

Mine is also a 55" I wonder what the replacement would be if they cant get a panel. I would probably put some cash towards an OLED if that wa a viable option.

8. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,251
    I think it was more that the voltage required to run the plasma electronics as it aged increased and so with it an increase in temperature which is causing premature secondary fail of panel.

At the time people were saying a fairly high end LCD but who knows now. Panny didn't have an OLED offering at the time.

Hope you get sorted whichever way.

9. rsnissan

rsnissan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just to update this, the third party had managed to source a new panel (sounds almost unbelievable for a 5 and a half year old TV!). That has been swapped over and the TV is being returned today!