VSX-LX51 sub output Issue

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by pud1804, Feb 10, 2009.

1. pud1804

pud1804

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Hi, here's the problem. On Sunday was watching a film and noticed no sub moments. Was hoping it was just a fuse but after some checking it's looking like the amp output.

Firstly I checked the fuse at the power socket as the ms309 is famous for them blowing even though the power on led was lit up green and when switching from off to on you can hear the internal amp clicking on.

I then removed the sub cable from the amp switched the sub on and tapped my thumb on the amp end of the cable and you can hear the sub thumping slightly thus telling me the mark grant sub cable and the sub are working ok.

Now because its a mordaunt short sub and they have previous for sub issue's I then removed the back from the sub and checked the two internal fuse's and both check out ok. I then connected a phono feed from my pc to the L+R line in on the sub and played music which the sub did output even though it sounded terrible it worked.

So I am now thinking that the sub and the cable have been tested and are both working. I then look to the amp which was only purchased in January played a source through the amp with sub moments and on the display the LFE indicator is displaying that the amp is outputting to the sub channel but there's no sound from the sub. I then ran the MCACC thinking that this is a set up feature that regardless of any current setting's when ran, it will determine what speaker's are connected to the system and its not picking up a connected sub-woofer which lead's me to think that the sub output has failed.

Sorry for the long winded explanation but I wanted to cover everything I have tried and am wondering if after reading this would you agree I am on the right track, is there anything else i should try before contacting Richer Sound's, am I missing something. Any help suggestions appreciated.

Moderator's i was not sure where to put this post as it's both amp and sub relevant please move if required.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  2. Alistair

Alistair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    If you go into manual setup on the amp and channel levels, do you get a test tone output from the sub?
    Is your sub set to on, rather an any auto on setting, if it has that?

If you are running a Full Auto MCACC then yes, it will auto detect the number of speakers available, you do have the sub connected to the correct socket on the amp, pre out section rather than multi channel section?

3. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    No worries Pud, happy for it to remain here, certainly looks to me like a receiver fault of config issue. Best try test tones from receiver and make sure speakers set to small and sub enabled etc.

Dan.:)

4. pud1804

pud1804

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Thanks for the replies. It's definitely the sub output on the amp, getting no test signal when in the manual set up and also tried my brother's sub and cable with no luck. Just to be extra sure I tried my sub and cable at his place and the sub was working perfectly so its a call to Richer Sounds this weekend who i hope will give me a direct replacement as I am not really wanting an amp that's developed a fault 2 week's after the 30 day period. It's a pity there is not a way to show how long its been in use for as it's only been on for i would say 25 hours max :mad:

5. pud1804

pud1804

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Got a call from Richer Sounds yesterday asking to come and pick up my LX51 its been returned from Pioneer with no fault found, So after a call to them agreed to go in today. Got the manager to agree to set the amp up in the shop and test it before taking it home as i wasn't happy with the Pioneer's finding's. So when the manager opened the box and removed the cover the first thing you could see was a fresh scratch across the top of the face which I immediately pointed out, can't argue with you there was the response. Carried on and set the amp up, performed the auto set up and surprise surprise no output from the amp. No matter what was tried still no sub output from the amp. So a brand new replacement is on its way should be here in a few days which is the best outcome for me and how glad was I that I asked the guy at RS to check it first. :D