1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VSX AX5i large/small speaker settings?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Murray, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Murray

Murray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Everytime I try to set all my speakers to small when I do the auto calibration on my new amp the centre channel always goes to large. Even when I change it to small, recalibrate, it automatically goes back to large (only the centre)
    The cables are correct as Ive checked them. I dont mind as the sound is wonderful but just wondering if it wasnt so great, as its not sending the lows to the sub. W :thumbsdow hat do you think?

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Usually the Auto Calibration gets the speaker sizes wrong and unless u have a Centre speaker that can handle a Full Range Signal it is best to set it to small, Even my Z9 tells me i have large fronts & centre but i just manually set them back to small so all the bass below 80hz goes to my sub.

John

3. Mojito

Mojito

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That always gets me confused. If I change the speaker size after MCACC calibration, doesn't it mess the whole thing up because the bass management changes completely?

4. Murray

Murray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes I agree with you I dont understand about that as well???? :lease:
    If you change everything back to small and recalibrate again my centre is changed back to large again with the bass moved back to the centre speaker. If I want to keep it on small thats ok as long as I dont recalibrate using the MCACC, but that then hasnt been calibrated.
    Sorry Im totally confussed :eek: :suicide:

5. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Auto Calibration does a good job but it can't beat setting the amp up manualy with an SPL meter and measure the distance with a tape measure & also setting the speakers sizes, the main thing though is does it sound good to you and if it does then don't worry too much...

John

6. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    auto-calibrations can be wierd - i've just set one for a friend on a pioneer amp and it kept taking off some 3db from the front left speaker and everything is setup at equal distances ! i ended up setting is manually (no SPL meter!) and the results where clearly better!

if you still insist on using the MCACC then once it finished set all the speakers to SMALL and don't bother running it again!

you do have a sub right?

7. Murray

Murray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes Sniper Im using a sub, will follow your instructions :thumbsup:

8. ozdick

ozdick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem.
    But reading through the manual you can try this (haven't tested it yet myself, but manual seems to imply it can be done)

After initial speaker check using MCACC, select the ERR + Fix SP. option
    According to the manual, you can then use the buttons to select the size of each speaker individually and it will run through the test tones using your settings rather than the one it decides on for your speakers

Worth a try :)