1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VSX-AX3 issues/upgrade problems

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by NZDownUnder, Oct 16, 2004.

1. NZDownUnder

NZDownUnder
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    I am new to these forumsand from what I have read there is heaps of help here :)

I just upgraded from my older VSX-D711 to the ASX-AX3 and am having trouble with the sound!

I have set everything up OK (using same speakers I had before B&W's), sound coming out of all speakers etc, also adjusted sound for each speaker position (did not use auto surround set-up as the way my set-up is, it was not the best solution) etc.

The problem is, when I listen to it and have the volume at the same position as with my older VSX-D711, say -40db, while the sound is crystal clear it is nowhere near as loud! I have to crank it up to say -26db to get the loudness matching the 711?

I have played with the Midnight and Loudness controls and had everything matching my previous set-up and preferences etc but it is still nowhere near as loud, yet it is a more powerful amp.

Any ideas, help much appreciated :thumbsup:

cheers and regards
    Rossco

NZDownUnder

2. NZDownUnder

NZDownUnder
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oops..

The message body should say VSX-AX3 not ASX....

NZDownUnder

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Having the levels up higher than your previous model is quite normal. Most current AV Receivers when set up using their test tones end up being configured to be run quite high up their volume scale. I used to have a VXS-AX3 and used it mostly at -20dB and sometimes up to -10dB for movies. Don't worry about running it at these levels as it is quite normal. If you really feel uncomfortable with this then go into the speaker level settings and boost all of them by a fixed amount, ie 5dB, although this is really just doing the same thing as turning the volume up higher.

4. NZDownUnder

NZDownUnder
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Crustyloafer,
    I was a little concerned as I thought that maybe my AX3 was faulty in some way as it did not appear to be as powerful as my D711 :confused:

cheers

Rossco
    NZDownUnder

5. astirling

astirling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    If it's any consolation...I need to turn the volume up pretty high on my AX5. I tend to watch films around about -15 to -20. It's still got plenty of headroom to reach levels which are uncomfortable.

6. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I found the same after setting up my VSX AX5i - just put it down to the fact that the MCACC system didn't set the channel thresholds very high,so that when the main volume is cranked,it doesn't come out as loud as you would expect overall.

In short - nothing to worry about! :)

7. NZDownUnder

NZDownUnder
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I forgot to clarify and ask the question regarding db's (I don't really understand these much, but following is my assumption) If say you have 2 different model receivers and have the settings all the same..
    ...Like say, setting both front speakers to +10db in plain old stereo mode, then crank both of them up to -40db using the master volume..

...Isn't -40db, -40db regardless of the model/brand? so therefore, while they may sound different in clarity etc, the sound/noise output should be the same from a decibel point of view?

If I am correct in the above, then shouldn't my new receiver sound at the same level of my old one given all things set-up equal?

If your asnswer to that last question is yes, then "Houston we have a problem" :D as these 2 sounded at a totally different levels although they were set to the same settings???? Wierd..

In the end maybe I am just worrying about nothing and should just get on and enjoy my new AX3 and "build a bridge and get over it" so to speak :rolleyes:

Any clarification of the above much appreciated

cheers and regards

Rossco
    NZDownUnder :thumbsup: