• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

VSX AX2AV HDMI issues with PS3 & Toshiba XA1

J

jeznight

I have had this amp around two years, I have various HDMI equipment. Samsung DVD with HDMI Output, Toshiba HD XA1, PS3 for Bluray, Xbox 360 and Sky HD. All worked well for ages, with all equipment going through an HDMI splitter box into the Pioneer. (except 360 which was component, but came out through HDMI on plasma with better results)

Now, for no apparant reason, I can not see my PS3 (screen flickers black) and the Toshiba HD has errors, I've tried firmware updates, and the machine has now completely died - no power at all, this happened during update. So Back to the PS3, I have gone direct to my Samsung Plasma, and it works, I've gone direct to amp bypassing the splitter box, and nothing. I can put the SKY HD in, and picture and sound is fine, same with the samsung dvd player. The pionner just seems to have stopped wanting to be compatible with anything which is Blu Ray or HD DVD, HDMI is however ok.

What has gone wrong..... any one....?

P

Pioneer Man

Sounds like the amp needs to be checked over by a Pioneer service center...

paulst10

Distinguished Member
sounds to me like skyHD has corrupted the hdmi input in your amp .. just like it has done with my 435xde plasma

maybe pioneer will now acknowledge that there is another issue with skyHD & pioneer hdmi equipment .. that are different to the previous issues :lesson:

see my thread here http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603919

paul

J

jeznight

Hi Paul

Just read your thread, and it is exactly the same problem. Did pioneer finally fix your problem, if so, do you have a customer reference number I could use when I phone them? At least then I can say, "look, someone else has had the same problem, check this number on your system".

I've looked at the links from your thread too and will see how I get on. Do you or anyone know if this has been fixed on later models?

Thanks for your help

paulst10

Distinguished Member
Hi Paul

Just read your thread, and it is exactly the same problem. Did pioneer finally fix your problem, if so, do you have a customer reference number I could use when I phone them? At least then I can say, "look, someone else has had the same problem, check this number on your system".

I've looked at the links from your thread too and will see how I get on. Do you or anyone know if this has been fixed on later models?

Thanks for your help

hi, i was told by pioneer that it will be repaired free of charge if its skyhd related .. when i spoke to the service centre a while back and mentioned this, they said its a £180 call-out charge and i would have to take the free repair up with pioneer.

i have spoke to pioneer a couple of days ago and was given a ref no. this time, but i have yet to ring the service centre again as im a bit busy this week and not sure when i will be about.

i rang the number in this link and reported the problem .. i will pm you my ref number so you can mention that when speaking to them
http://pioneer-customerrelations.cu...WRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MjQ1JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=

will also try and ring the service centre tomorrow and see what they say now i have a ref no. will let you know how i get on

good luck

paul

marksmith34

Established Member
I just wondered if you managed to get this resolved, as i'm having the same problem with my VSX AX2AV and Toshiba HD-DVD ep-30. It works fine with Sky HD, PS3 and Panasonic DVD recorder all via HDMI, but the EP-30 just shows a black screen.

If i connect the EP-30 direct to the screen it works fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Mark

P

Pioneer Man

Hi,

If the PS3 and other HDMI devices continue to work correctly then it is unlikely to be an HDMI issue caused by SkyHD.

When SkyHD knocks out HDMI it only affects the HDCP bit, and as SkyHD doesn’t enforce HDCP at the moment it will work but the PS3 and all other HDMI devices that use HDCP fail.

My guess is that the Tosh is unhappy with going through an amp, some HDMI devices can be very sensitive to sending there signal through an amp or splitter, have you checked with Tosh or Pioneer if they know of anything? Maybe a FW update on the Tosh?

malcolmk

Established Member
I just wondered if you managed to get this resolved, as i'm having the same problem with my VSX AX2AV and Toshiba HD-DVD ep-30. It works fine with Sky HD, PS3 and Panasonic DVD recorder all via HDMI, but the EP-30 just shows a black screen.

If i connect the EP-30 direct to the screen it works fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Mark
Pioneer's HDMI implementation seems to be a lottery.

A brief summary of tests with up to five samples of a VSX AX2AV...

With Pioneer DVD recorder. All OK. (2 samples of VSX AX2AV)
With Toshiba DVD player. All OK. (2 samples)
With Samsung DVD player. All OK. (2 samples)
With Humax 2000. All OK. (2 samples)
With Pioneer DV400 player. HDMI fails. (5 samples)
With Pioneer DV600 player. HDMI fails. (5 samples)
With Pioneer BDP LX70A Blu-ray. All OK. (1 sample)

At senior levels in Pioneer support I was told that all five samples of amplifier had gone faulty and must be repaired at the user's expense. Presumably Pioneer would rather suggest that their amplifiers are among the most unreliable on the market than admit liability for supplying kit unfit for the purpose.

My dealer OTOH says that his rep. says that all Pioneer do is flash the firmware to fix the problem. Who should we believe?

Fortunately the easy solution in my case was to get a refund on the DV600. Good job I never buy this sort of thing on the net.

A few days ago I was called by Pioneer Europe in Amsterdam doing a survey of satisfaction levels with UK support. That was quite an interesting call. I hope they had enough negative columns on their tick sheet. ;)

marksmith34

Established Member
I finally got my EP-30 / VSX AX2AV combination sorted.

I took them both to Yorkshire Multimedia Services in Bradford. A Pioneer / Toshiba service agent.

First they updated the firmware in the amp, but that didn't work. So they ordered a new HDMI board for the amp. This new board works fine. So it's now all working, connected by HDMI.

Surprisingly Pioneer didn't charge me for the repair (the amp is more than two years old), so even better.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom