• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

VSX-924 LG simplink changing AV source to TV

djrobmac

Standard Member
Really researched this as much as i can and although a lot have asked the same question I've not found a suitable reply.

I have a brand new LG 4K OLED EF950V and a pioneer VSX-924. Whenever I turn on the TV the amp turns on as it should but after a few seconds it changes the AV source on the amp to TV so I have to get up and put it onto the Sat HDMI channel to get the pic back. Volume all working fine, its just the changing AV channel thats perplexing me. Was fine with my GT50 Panasonic.

Roohster

Distinguished Member
Check to see if HDMI CEC is enabled... if it is, switch it off.

djrobmac

Standard Member
Without simplink (HDMI CEC for LG) enabled the amp won't come on with the TV and the TV won't control the the receivers volume so thats not really what I'm looking for. Had no issues with Viera link and my old panasonic. Anyone else figured this out?

dante01

Distinguished Member
What you are experiencing is a common flaw with HDMI ARC. ARC uses HDMI CEC for its functionality, but a byproduct of this depenence upon CEC is that the TV causes the receiver to default to its TV source when powered up. There's no real solution to this other than to not enage ARC, but there is a workaround if you've a Harmoony remote. The workaround is outlined here:

Denon AVR X2000 Power on question

Although relating to a Denon receiver and an Samsung TV. the issue is the same and caused by HDMI CEC and ARC.

djrobmac

Standard Member
Thanks for that dante01. Real pain in the butt considering the old Panasonic worked flawlessly. I wonder if another make of AV receiver would fix the issue.

djrobmac

Standard Member
The workaround is outlined here:

Denon AVR X2000 Power on question

Well, what can i say, you have mistakenly fixed my problem!!!! In that thread you mention about a sky firmware update:

SKY recently updated their firmware to give them HDMI CEC (Control) so I'd suggest looking within the STB's settings for a setting that you can turn this off onboard the SKY STB with.

Sky Help: HDMI One-Touch-Play

Would you believe that turning HDMI Control and the HDMI Control via RF Output on has actually fixed the problem completely. Now if I just press the sky button on the remote control (or power button on the LG remote) it switches on the TV, the AV Receiver (which as we know then gets told to go to the incorrect TV input by the LG TV) but the sky box now says bugger that and forces the AV Receiver to the correct input all without me having to do anything!

Spent countless hours trying to figure this, you're a genius!!

dante01

Distinguished Member
Spent countless hours trying to figure this, you're a genius!!

Nope. I simply mentioned something that lead you to discover a resolution and I didn't actually solve the problem for you myself. Anyway, glad that you found a solution :)

Last edited:

djrobmac

Standard Member
Nope. I simply mentioned something that lead you to discover a resolution and didn't actually solve the problem for you myself. Anyway, glad that you found a soution :)

either way you have cheered me up no end and probably saved me a ton of money changing my setup. THANK YOU!!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom