VSX-859 with FS2-AV speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by shoehorn, May 14, 2002.

1. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I set up my new receiver at the weekend and am very pleased as to what I've got....
    The thing is I'm unsure as to what level I can turn the amp to.
    I've not had an amp with the -db levels on before and find that with my speakers (FS2-AV) the volume is very low until I get to about -30db.
    I have run the amp at -20db where the volume is good - but not exceptionally loud - and I'm unsure as to how much further I can go.
    Does anyone know how far I can turn the volume to without damaging my speakers as I sometimes like to have it very loud.
    My old amp was a Sony that was VERY LOUD at around the 5 level (it was scaled 1 to 10 on the dial not -db).

2. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,030
    Like most amps/receivers it will probably go up to +db (my Denon goes to +18db) not that you´d take it that high unless you want to kiss goodbye to your eardrums.

Just turn it to a level you find comfortable. Only when running at very high volume levels for long periods will amps start to overheat, most will cutout to protect themselves.

I wouldnt advise trying to run it at max volume though, you may wave goodbye to your speakers. You´ll probably find 0db (reference level) plenty loud enough (maybe too loud).

3. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much - can't wait to get home and try it....:)