VSX-1018AH-K and SKS-HT750

desiid

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello All, I am a newbie here and its my first post.
I am very glad to be here to get some expert tips from professional and expereinced members.

I've ordered these two online over the weekend:
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K and Onkyo SKS-HT750

I hope they will make a good match for my SONY BRAVIA 46W4100.

Can you please share your opinions about the Pioneer Receiver and the Onkyo speakers in terms of what a newbie will need to hook them up and also
any tips/suggestions if necessary for the hook up.

Greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi Deslid, :hiya:

Congratulations on your amp, ive got the same connected to Kef 3005SE. Ive used Bannana plugs into the back of the amplifier just to keep it neat, but they are not essential.

Id use the auto setup MCACC and then go into the manual settings and tweak the levels yourself, they send out test tones for you to decide what sounds best from your sitting position.

Good Luck

Thanks for your reply Jed, I will make a note of those tips.
Also, for the speaker wiring, do you suggest: 18AWG
and is there a special wire for the subwoofer?

Could either of you confirm for me a couple of things.

Does this model have 2 or 3 HDMI inputs. Pio website says 2, most reviews online i've read say 3. Perhaps the US model has 3?
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K - ProductWiki unbiased product reviews
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver - Product Profile of the Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K Home Theater Receiver

Aso, what hi fi says this doesn't upscale, yet the Pio website says it upscales to 1080p.

Confused :confused:

p.s. and why didn't they put a big THX logo on the front so it can pose in my living room :rotfl:

Could either of you confirm for me a couple of things.

Does this model have 2 or 3 HDMI inputs. Pio website says 2, most reviews online i've read say 3. Perhaps the US model has 3?
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K - ProductWiki unbiased product reviews
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver - Product Profile of the Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K Home Theater Receiver

Aso, what hi fi says this doesn't upscale, yet the Pio website says it upscales to 1080p.

Confused :confused:

p.s. and why didn't they put a big THX logo on the front so it can pose in my living room :rotfl:

The Euro spec 1018 only has 2 HDMI ins. The US model has 3. The 1018 doesn't upscale, it DOES upconvert. It DOES have the THX logo on it but we're a little less vulgar than our American cousins and as such it's along the top side of the facia. Or are you American?! ;)

how very dare you haha, no i'm no yank.
although i'd happily convert for 5 mins to get that extra hdmi, why do they get 3 and we only get 2.

Also, quote from superfi website
"It boasts Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio decoding, HDMI connectivity supporting 'deep colour' and 1080p upscaling," :nono:naughty

I'm very tempted to go and get one of these tomorrow, but my budget seems to be spiralling.

thanks for the info :thumbsup:

edit: just realised it doesn't have multiroom feature either, damn i wanted to put some speakers in the kitchen too.
why can't someone just make me the perfect amp that i can afford....

Last edited:
So the US model has zone 2 capability, yet the euro model doesn't?? It gets worse the more I read.

I'll only be using 5.1 speakers, seeing as this is a 7.1 system, can I use the other two speaker outputs for another room and can you set the eq of these speakers to be different to the other 5.
I want to put two speakers in another room, but would obviously need to output the full sound (bass/trable etc) so that the music sounded good, rather than just having them set as 2 surround speakers.

the uk model does have zone 2 out but not totally sure what it does, there's a good close up picture of the back on the internet if you do a search.

I ordered one of these today so I'll let you know later in the week what it can / can't do !

Thanks guys.

I don’t think it is powered zone 2, I can only see 7 speaker connectors on the back, but i’ll check the manual to find out for sure.

the UK manual states this:

ZONE 2 audio/video outputs
Use to connect a second receiver in a separate room.
 See MULTI-ZONE listening on page 57.

and also this:

MULTI-ZONE listening
This receiver can power up to two independent systems
in separate rooms after you have made the proper MULTIZONE
connections.

Hope this helps, for a spec on the system look here:

Pioneer VSX-1018AH-S/K Manual (UK, English Version)

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, as I suspected, I would need another amp for speakers in another zone.

Edit: Having re-read the manual (properly this time instead of skimming through), you can use the surround back speaker connections for zone 2, this is perfect for me as I will only be using 5.1 speakers in the main room.
Page 41 if anyone else was wondering about this.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom