• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

VSX 1016 - Best way to connect my setup?

F

faulknerm

Afternoon Guys,

I recently bought a Pioneer VSX-1016 from the classifieds on here, and would appreciate your advice on the best way to connect my system?

I have a Hannspress XV 37" LCD TV, Sky+ box and a Sony DVP-NS76H upscaling DVD Player.

The receiver offers me a wealth of connectivity options, and I have a mass of different AV cables available, but not sure on the best connections to use on each device for optimum quality and usability.

Your advice is greatly appreciated. :)
Cheers,

Marc

Ps. I posted in the Pioneer forum first, before discovering this one. If a mod could remove the other thread, I'd appreciate it. :)

dwhite

Distinguished Member
Optical out from the Sky+ box to pioneer and optical out from dvd to the pioneer. I wouldn't worry about sending video thru it as with so few sources you might as well plug them straight into the tv.

F

faulknerm

Optical out from the Sky+ box to pioneer and optical out from dvd to the pioneer. I wouldn't worry about sending video thru it as with so few sources you might as well plug them straight into the tv.

Thanks. :)

I've just got home from work and decided to have a play...so far I've managed to get audio from the DVD to the amp via Component, and also video via the amp using HDMI (waiting for my optical cables to arrive at the moment!)

As the Pioneer upscales analog video signals, is it not worth me running the Sky video signal through it?

dwhite

Distinguished Member
I've managed to get audio from the DVD to the amp via Component, and also video via the amp using HDMI (waiting for my optical cables to arrive at the moment!)

Nor sure how you have manged to get audio via component, its video only. Or are you using the the yellow red and white phono outputs which is composite video and stereo audio?

As for upscaling, in order to give the Pioneer the best possible signal from your sky box, you need to connect by component using a convertor. Otherwise you will just be upscaling composite or svideo, which will be a worse quality connection than if you use RGB scart straight to your tv.

You do know that your tv will upscale (or possibly downscale) any input into which does not match its resolution. So there's no guarantee that the amp upscaling will be any better than the tv's. Try it with your DVD and see if letting the DVD upscale, or the amp upscale or the tv upscale makes a difference.

Personally with so few sources (Sky and DVD), I would connect them straight to tv and just let the amp deal with audio via the optical cables.

F

faulknerm

Thanks again. :)

Yeah, I was using the red and white RCA connections, just getting confused with my terminology!

The number of sources will increase in the near future, as I'm building a HTPC and also possibly going to buy a BD player. You're probably right that it's best to keep things simple for the meantime and then look at other options as and when my system expands. :)

Just need to wait for my optical cables then. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom