1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VSM2048 Video Scaler

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by PEGE, Jan 31, 2005.

1. PEGE

PEGE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!

I am a bit curious about the performance in VSM2048? How is it compared to other video scalers on the market?

Is there anyone that has some specifications/product brochure/own experience to share?

All comments are welcome!

Regards, Per-Anders.

2. lenny

lenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I join PEGE in his demand. I'll be more than happy receiving the brochure and / or the detailed technical specifications (processor; ways of up/down scaling; which other devices in the market are based on the same technology....).

regards,

Lenny

3. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Get the view of Joel........... :eek:

4. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Ah but the rest of us got it to work properly........ Although time moves on ever faster in this technological world, everyone that see's my sky+ picture via the VSM2048 and Barco DLP are seriously impressed with the jump in quality. DVD material is much harder to quantify, certianly it is better than straight through connections but my HTPC also does a seriously good job now on disk based material, if only I could get the HTPC to do as well with off air broadcasts...... Serious competitors to the VSM are the Lumegen and similar, although i must stress that whatever route you follow (scaler, off board processing, HTPC) none are exactly cheap and there is a certian appeal in having it all integrated in one box.

5. PEGE

PEGE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again!

Has there been any discussions about future support from IAG? I am planning to "invest" in a VSM2048, but I am a bit worried about their intention in the high-end segment when it comes to HW and SW upgrades...

Regards, Per-Anders.

6. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Personally I can't recommend you do this if your expecting any software upgrades at present..... The current firmware works fine though, has done for over a year now.... HDMI switching is the latest buzzword but frankly that is marketing and not actually necessary and is a fair way off in IAG's plans for existing customers. Every other scaler on the market will also need to be replaced eventually as they also will almost certainly not be upgradable.... If you treat the VSM as a box purchase like all the other scalers and know that eventually it will be superceeded you won't go far wrong.... It integrates very nicely with the other TAG kit and that is the premium you pay compared with other similar performing models.....

7. PEGE

PEGE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    GrahamMG:

Thanks for your comment!

Since I already own a PSM192 I think the VSM2048 would suite me quite well. How about the "DVI-expander" described in the TMA brochure? Is this included with the VSM-scaler or is it another upgrade?

Regards, P-A.

8. simon40

simon40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Pege,

I don't believe the DVI/HDMI expander every saw the light of day. However there are one DVI input and one DVI output (HDCP compliant if needed). If you need more DVI/HDMI inputs/outputs there is the Gefen range of products (although I have no personal experience of these products).

At present I personally don't need any more DVI inputs or outputs (the analogue connectors are of a very high standard). However the day may come, and if/when it does then I'll look round the market place to see what's available.

Hope this helps

Simon

9. PEGE

PEGE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    simon40:

Thanks!

Please correct me if I am wrong...

AV192R with PSM192, VSM2048 and RGB switcher will have the following inputs/outputs:

Video outputs:
    1 DVI output from PSM192 (only with 480p/576p signal?)
    1 DVI output from VSM2048 (480p/576p/720p/1080i in scaled resolutions)
    1 component/RGB output (used by both PSM192 and VSM2048 which means both 480p/576p/720p/1080i in scaled resolutions)

Video inputs:
    1 DVI input to VSM2048 (only progressiv signal?)
    1 PC VGA input (RGB) (routed through both PSM192 and VSM2048)
    3 component/RGB input (routed through both PSM192 and VSM2048)

If this is correct, does this mean that you only have one scaled DVI output or is it possible to use the PSM192 DVI output in the same purpose?

Hope you understand my question. It's a bit hard to describe since my english is not what it is supposed to be... ;)

Regards, Per-Anders.

10. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    An AV192R with RGB switcher, PSM and VSM2048 has the following I/O:

1 x DVI input (feeds directly to VSM)
    1 x DVI Output (from scaler)
    3 x Component/RGB - internal routing depends on detected signal type.
    1 x PC / HDTV input - again routing depends on detected signal type.

The PSM digital output is internally fed into the scaler, you do not get the PSM digital output and the VSM digital output exposed at the same time.

Hope this helps!

11. PEGE

PEGE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Stevesky!

But it is also possible to have analog 480p/576p/720p/1080i on the component/RGB output or?

Regards, P-A.

12. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    The scaler output is also available on the RGB switcher outputs (RGBHV/YUV).

13. PEGE

PEGE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks GrahamMG!

To bad it's not possible to have two scaled DVI outputs... It would be nice to use one for the projector and one for the plasma-TV... :(

14. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Split the DVI output using a good quality splitter, set the TAg to output the correct res for each case adn its sorted.... Personally I'd feed one the DVI output and the other screen the RGB one...... I doubt it will make any difference.....

15. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A DVI splitter isn't cheap, but for around GBP100 www.lindy.co.uk do one that I can confirm does a great job.

16. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    It does indeed.....

Have we missed something important here though. As Per-Anders says, it quite clearly states that the DVI switcher is standard fit (no mention of "not available yet") with the VSM on IAG's web site, if that is true (and it is advertised as such) then who wnats to test the water about getting this missing bit fitted to our units?????

Steve.
    Is this an advertising cock up or has it a bit of truth in it....??????

17. PEGE

PEGE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, maybe I could use the DVI connection for my projector (Sanyo PLV-Z3) and then use a 4BNC-to-VGA cable for the plasma-TV (LG RZ-42PY10x). This could be a really good solution since the plasma-TV will be used in "computer"-mode and than have different type settings than in "video"-mode...

:smashin:

18. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I would study the RC5 code pages for the AV192R and program a Pronto accordingly, it will make life easy......