1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VSM2048...4 Days and Counting

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Joelc, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Gentlemen:

Those of you who have been dedicated owners for 18 or months may remember the problems that I encountered with the VSM2048 installed in my AV192R -- the bloody thing would not sync w/i my display. The end result was that after much effort by Steve, John, et. al. the problem was attributed to an improper DVI implementation on the display device -- at least, that was the theory.

The theory is about to be tested. The renovations in my home are nearing completion meaning that one front projector and one LCD flat panel will be connected to the VSM2048 this coming Sunday and Monday. I am keeping my fingers crossed that all will work out as planned.

I will post the reults when they are available.

Cheers,

Joel (From a very snowy Canada -- just got 8 inches of snow)

2. sijones

sijones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi Joel,

What projector and LCD panel have you ordered? Have you tried these on your system before buying?

Regards,

Steve

3. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it does not work than he deserved it. Buying such an expensive toys without trying them out prior to purchase is at least ridiculous move.
    Good luck!

4. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I think Steve said it rather more politely..... :rotfl:

For info our 18 month old VSM module has played faultlessly in every single display we have tried it on.....(and that is quite a few now!).....Including HDMI displays with HDCP........ I wish Joel the best of luck with his blind choice of display......

5. maximus_de

maximus_de
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah,

sometimes People wish the good old CRT Technique back :(
    I had a similar problem(with different components) a few month ago, and a NEC CRT
    saved the situation.

Good Luck

Alfredo

6. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Steve:

To answer your question the hardware is as follows:

1. Projector = Sony VPL-HS50
    2. LCD Living Room = Sharp LC26GA5U 26" (as a secondary display)
    3. LCD Bedroom = Sharp LC32GA5U 32"

I decided to go with the Sony FP due to the rate of change in display technology. I am of the view that within 2 or so years 1980x1080p will the standard and, as such, decided that I would rather "throw away" the investment in the Sony rather than an investment in a Sharp Z12000 or Barco.

Hoep that helps

=========================

Plump and GrahamMG:

I have ararnged with the dealer that in the event that the Sony VPL-HS50 and TMA VSM2048 do not like each other then I will be able to return the projector for a full refund and pick another option. Of course, I will first contact TMA, errrrrrrr make that IAG, to try and solve the problem.

Wish me luck.

Joel

7. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I wouldn't go feeding the HS50 with DVI..... The forums are awash with SONY's cock up on that one......Most people use the VGA input (in fact I think all owners are told to)........ Mind you Joel, you do love a challenge!

8. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5

GrahamMG:

I have been swamped at works the last month or so...have spent no time on the boards/forums...can you please let me know the following:

1. Sony's cock up of the DVI...what exactly is the cok up?
    2. The reason must are using VGA.
    3. Where a good thread on the subject can be found -- other than AVS Forum as I have my own views on that lot.

TIA,

Joel

9. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joel, I already did that. You had too many problems in the past, beginning with that power button of your 100x5R ...

I actually never had any problem with my TAG gear and therefore I consider myself extraordinary lucky bas***d, especially considering the fact that I owned two top loaders in the past (still have one here)

10. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    DVI input has blanking issues and generally is concidered worse than the VGA input, look on this forum under DLP/LCD projectors and do a search for HS50/DVI blanking etc.
    This is the readon why most if not all use the VGA port and set the pj accordingly. The blanking is well off.......
    And before you ask I would say that you might need to feed the RGBHV opuput from the VSM to the VGA connector to avoid any more stress inducing moments in the Joel household....

11. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  12. Bogi

Bogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Joel

Make sure you get the very latest firmware in the Sony, it's supposed to fix the 720 problem it's currently suffering from (there are loads of info on this over at avsforum).

But as always for nearly *all* top of the line machines out there today, the VGA input is always used as reference, when all else fails, it's a safe bet...

Or you could always go for a used CRT, albeit more tweaking, but once set up you can enjoy a great pic for the next few years, 'cos the bulb on any digital does get dimmer once past 1500 hours...

Cheers

13. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5

Bogi:

How does one get the latest firmware into the Sony...is it software uogradable a la TMA kit or does one have to send the unitback to the manufacturer?

Thanks,

Joel

14. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    GrahamMG and others:

I can not find any information on the firmware upgrade on the Sony sight. Do you know of any official/Sony links that provide information on it.

Thanks,

Joel

15. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Joel.
    You won't find it for download......
    I beleive the projector has to be returned to the servicing agent for your region and be modified. I have no idea what that entails, we gave our loaned HS50 back to SONY a few weeks ago and when I posted on the LCD/DLP part of this site it started a war when I said basically it was OK but not great.......Since I posted many have started finding out what I said for themselves :devil: Like I said, do a search, it isn't all bad but......You do get exactly what you pay for.....

16. Bogi

Bogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Joel

Graham is correct, the update is nothing you can upload a la Tag, it has to go back to the agent. As I've understood it's only through the DVI input at 720p this is a fault. You can find a good run down on the Sony here see especially under Subjective Picture Analysis regarding digital versus analog.

Cheers
    /Bogi (who has left the digital camp for CRT at the mo...)

17. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    GrahamMG and Bogi:

Many thanks for the iformation/update. That said, there sometimes is a god...my retailer has informed me that he sent the unit back to Sony for the update before delivering it to. While I have my doubts about hi stroy it will solidify my confidence in him.

Will keep everyone posted.

Joel

18. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Yes but 720 is the native res of the panel isn't it..... I'd say it is more than a fault it is an almighty cockup.... 1:1 pixel mapping on an LCD should be easy after all that is the point of a scaler and a DVI connection. Everybody I spoke to used the VGA input........ Personally I'd say it is a big nail in the SONY HS50 "coffin" now Joel is buying one :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: (only kidding Joel, but you do have to smile at your run of "luck").....

19. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    GrahamMG:

I will have a big laugh once, and only once, everything is connected and working. Until then...I will continue to be my miserable and sour self :mad: :mad:

Joel

20. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I wish you well... ;)

21. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The frustration continues...took the projector out of the box, powered it up, entered factory mode and alas -- the bloody thing has the software version which makes HDMI compatability probelmatic.

The frustration is even worse that one might imagine as the dealer advised me that the unit was returned to factory for the upgrade -- guess he lied.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh... it make take me another week or more before I can test the scaler. What is even worse is that the HT is otherwise good to go!!!

Joel

22. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    cheer up maple leaf, what's a couple of days in the history of the universe :)

23. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Why am I not surprised :suicide: :suicide:
    I did say get a 5 BNC to VGA cable didn't I :lease: :lease: :lease: (oh get it the right way round, 5BNC out - VGA in)......

24. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Miron, I would agree withyou that a few days is no big deal...but, please remember, it has been near 18 months since I first took possession of the scaler.

Graham, I recall what you said and even have a RGBHC-->VGA wired but decided not to even mount the projector given that I want no time on it so that I can argue for a brand new unit.

I will keep everyone posted!

Joel

25. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Apparently it will be at least the 15th March before the US gets the fixed model, the 3000 or so sold in the UK will probably have to wait even longer.... I asked SONY today if we could have another HS50 unit to test that had the necesary modifications done, in a rather candid moment for SONY the chap said "so do we"......

26. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    GrahamMG:

I was on the phone with my dealer...things only get worse...check this out...Sony Canada was not even aware of the problem or the fix...curious to me that Sony USA can setup a website, commence repaiting units, etc. while Sony Canada has not even a clue, particularly given that Sony Canada purchases their units rom Sony USA!!

Damn..should have gotten taht Runco 710!!

Joel

27. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Nice to see your luck is consistant still :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

28. Barry.NI

Barry.NI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Joelc,

Since we talked last, I have had my VSM2048 installed, RGBHV into a Barco 7LT. 768 lines on Pal, 720 NTSC. Excellent picture, the person that set up my CRT up, still reckons it beats DLP, and he sees a lot of different displays. Hope you get it sorted soon, it is extremely difficult to test equipment before buying, takes 2 days to mount and set up a CRT, even DLPs need some kind of setting up, to get the best from them, might be better to go with a display that others with the VSM2048, have had success with. I could not get the Crystalio to work with my AV293R, through an RGBHV distribution box.

Barry

29. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    We told him, oh boy we told him...... Budget as always got in the way but what price do you put on all that fustration.........

A Barco 7LT is a nice device if the room can take it and is suitably (non) lit. My wife would have my balls if I even thought about sticking one on the ceiling.......

30. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Barry, pleased to hear that you are getting on so well...hope to join your happy clun in the not too distant future...as far as a CRT goes...out of the question...although the room has perfect light control the size is a material impedement...will post pictures once all is resolved for you to see.

GrahamMG, sometimes one needs to learn the hard way. That said, your comment about budget is only partially tru inasmuch as I decision to invest in a modestly priced projector stems from the fact that I believe (unlike you) that 1920*1080p projectors are around the corner and, on this basis, would prefer to "throw out" a CAD 5,000 projector (i.e. Sony HS50) over a CAD 15,000 (i.e. Runco 710).

For those not aware £1 = CAD 2.50.

Stay tuned!

Cheers,

Joel