VSA- AX10i

steve k

Established Member
Reaction score
Have just recived my AX10i just wanted to know if you can put a 13 amp fuse in the power supply plug it says 10 amp in the instructions the lead that i was supplied with had a 3amp and it keeps blowing the fuse when i turn the amp on.

The amp is an ex demo and the lead was missing so the guy in the shop gave me the lead i dont think there is anything wrong with the amp just that the fuse should be a bigger one

You should not over rate a fuse specified, only as a temp measure. Beaware that if the amp has developed a fault in transit, using an over rated fuse could cause serious damage.

I would also never use a too highly rated fuse in such an expensive piece of equipment.

If it clearly states a 10 amp fuse is required in the manual then that's what it is.
The 3 amp you are currently using is obviously not sufficient to cope with the current surge at switch on.
Or is it the 10 amp that's blowing?
If so, then the unit likely has a fault.
Either that or the lead is a dud - try replacing it.

10 amps does sound rather high for a piece of AV gear though...

I use 13 amp fuses in all Av gear, it sounds better, less resistance.
The plug fuse is there to protect you if the cable is faulty or damaged. The AX10 has an internal fuse to protect itself (and you).
There is clearly some other problem since the AX10 should only draw around 2.5 amps.

Originally posted by gmt steve
I use 13 amp fuses in all Av gear, it sounds better, less resistance.
You're not being serious are you?
You're telling me you can hear the difference between a 3 amp fuse and a 13 amp fuse?

Your comment on there being "less resistance" is contradicted by your other comment that "the AX10 has an internal fuse".
As this internal fuse is considerably less than 13 amps, it will therefore negate any possible improvedments from increasing the fuse size in the plug...

Why not just bung a strip of copper in the plug if that's your argument?

He's winding you UP

Thanks for the replys but didn't intend to start an argument.
I think the problem was just that the lead i had only had a 3amp fuse in it which was to low for this amp, its like putting a 3amp in a kettle it just wont take the load when u switch it on I'v sortted it now and it is workin ok at the moment.

Has enyone got a copy of the calibration disc that comes with the AX10i this was missing when i got my amp am waiting for the shop to get one from Pionner but if anyone has one could you please e mail me a copy so i can set up my system thanks

Steve

Originally posted by PC Nut
He's winding you UP

No I'm not, try it.

GMT Steve.....
Not wishing to start anything here... but like Brogan said if the internall amp has a fuse on the live circuit, and unless it is rated higher than the standard plug fuse of 10amp it can't possible make a difference.. Any chance you could let us know what fuse is inside.

Ps using higher rated fuses other than that recommened for the equipment, should it develope a fault, it would certanly cause more damage than using a rated fuse.

Not wishing to start anything here... but like Brogan said if the internall amp has a fuse on the live circuit, and unless it is rated higher than the standard plug fuse of 10amp it can't possible make a difference.

Why don't you just try it out for yourself?

Ps using higher rated fuses other than that recommened for the equipment, should it develope a fault, it would certanly cause more damage than using a rated fuse.

The fuse in the plug is there to cut the current if the cable is severed or damaged, a 3A is no safer then a 13A when a fault occurs in this way. The internal fuse on the amp is there to protect the equipment. We are pretty much the only country in the world that puts a fuse in the wall connector.
I can only suggest as with all things such as this that you try it out for yourself; if you don't hear a difference then leave it as it was, no harm done:smashin:

The fuse in the plug is there to cut the current if the cable is severed or damaged, a 3A is no safer then a 13A when a fault occurs in this way. The internal fuse on the amp is there to protect the equipment. We are pretty much the only country in the world that puts a fuse in the wall connector.

So why not just wire the live directly to the pin, bypassing the fuse altogether?
This will give you a significant improvement in sound over a 13 amp fuse...if that's what you believe.

So why not just wire the live directly to the pin, bypassing the fuse altogether?

Because if a fault developed on the cable it could become a lethal hazard.

if that's what you believe.

You seem to be annoyed or disgruntled about my opinion; I don't understand why. This is an open forum and I'm just expressing what I have found to be true with my system. If somebody tried it out and benifited then great, if they don't gain an improvement then what have they lost?
Remember lots of people think mains cables such as RA are nonesense, others think all aftermarket cables are a con. Do you?
If so, fine, each to his own, but don't knock it 'till you've tried it.:smoke:

You seem to be annoyed or disgruntled about my opinion
Not at all.
I chose my words very carefully: "if that's what you believe".
It was not intended to be anything other than a statement, with no sarcasm implied.

P.S. If the cable did develop a fault, then the RCB in your consumer unit would trip so you could bypass the fuse if you wanted to with no risk.

You're not going to like this Brogan, but I don't use RCBs as I think they sound inferior to MCBs.:D
And no I'm not joking.

If you look at the plugs from other countries they don't have a fuse only a live & neutral and don't even have an earth

Its nice when a thread makes you laugh.

The smoothing caps in your amps power supply are what supply the transient umph, the diameter of your fuse wire is unlikely to have any impact on the sound you get. But hey, if you can hear a difference, well good for you!

Sniggering somewhat....
John.

I've heard that old fuse wire like the wylex type sound real cooool im sure it had something to do with the silver they used in the wire.

;-)

You fellas are just making fun of me now, aren't you? Well then I going to go and sulk and polish all my plug prongs with Brasso, to try and get a more 'sparkly' sound from my system.
They're coming to take me away, ha ha, they're coming to take me away he he.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom