VSA-AX10i losing volume....

IanTr

Standard Member
Reaction score
My 10i seems to be losing volume...

When it was new, we used to watch TV (Sky+) with the sound set around -52db. That seemed to be a comfortable listening level in our 4.5m x 6m room, through floorstanding MA Gold Refs.

Over time (I've had the amp for about 6m), the 'comfortable listening level' seems to be getting higher and higher. 50-something db became 40-something, and then 30-something. Last night I noticed that we watched Friends with it set at -28db.

My wife has distinctly noticed this as well, so it's not just a case of getting my ears syringed...

Before I go through the ENORMOUS pain of disconnecting everything and lugging it back to the dealer whence it came, I thought I'd ask whether;

1) Anyone else has experienced this?
2) Anyone has any ideas as to what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance.

Hi

I think it is becuase you are getting used to the volume level.Happens to me also if i get used to listening at certain volume levels. If you do not use your amp for a few weeks and then suddenly use it again, the sound seems MUCH louder all of a sudden !

I usually listen at about -20 when watching normal TV and i am not deaf BTW ! :laugh:

- There is a huge difference between listening levels for certain DVD's, television channels etc. Were you comparing the same source material over time?

- Did you do something to improve the sound quality of your setup recently? Good quality sound (non-boomy, etc.) can be played much louder without causing fatigue.

- Trivial, but ok: the circumstances of watching (tired/late) also can have a huge influence.

Do an amp reset ,this has come up before but not with a pioneer.The reset did work in that case.

Thanks for you thoughts and comments...

Various said:
- There is a huge difference between listening levels for certain DVD's, television channels etc. Were you comparing the same source material over time?
*****Yes, my main observation relates to sound when watching Sky
- Did you do something to improve the sound quality of your setup recently? Good quality sound (non-boomy, etc.) can be played much louder without causing fatigue.
*****No, nothing's changed since it was all set up
---

I think it is becuase you are getting used to the volume level.Happens to me also if i get used to listening at certain volume levels. If you do not use your amp for a few weeks and then suddenly use it again, the sound seems MUCH louder all of a sudden !
*****You MAY be right on this, but I'm far from convinced. The clincher was my wife saying that she'd noticed the same effect.

---

Do an amp reset ,this has come up before but not with a pioneer.The reset did work in that case.
***** I'm not quite sure what you mean by this - can you explain further?

---
I usually listen at about -20 when watching normal TV and i am not deaf BTW ! :laugh:
***** Now that's interesting. I'm sat here watching the tennis on Eurosport at -38db right now. Maybe there's nothing to worry about.....?

...that I've also been getting occasional spits and crackles from my surround speakers. Not very frequent, but enough to make me wince when it happens.

I'd previously put this down to mains interference or similar, but perhaps it's connected?

To reset the amp will take it back to the factory setting ,i don't know how to do it on your amp,it will be something simple like pressing one of the buttons down while turning the amp on.It may help and it my not,you might be going deaf. :laugh:my amp seems a lot louder when the kids have gone to bed :rolleyes: .

bob1 said:
To reset the amp will take it back to the factory setting
Be aware that if you do this you will lose all settings on your amp and will have to set it all up again... :rolleyes:

I have to say that I find myself listening to SKY at almost random volume levels.

jhjerpe said:
I have to say that I find myself listening to SKY at almost random volume levels.
Generally we watch at -30 but for the Friends repeats on C4 we have to wind it up to -22.
In the night I usually drop it down to as low as -50.

Ditto, volume set to -30 is normal, -50 at 3am -15..-25 for shaking the floor in action DVDs and for some very quiet CD's. (Detached house!)

I am wondering if either (a) you have changed audio feeds for the same device (eg optical to analogue from Sky) or (b) you have changed the attenuation settings intended to match volume levels from different sources or (c) your speaker cable to surrounds has a whisker of wire shorting it out sometimes (producing the crackles and possibly causing the amp to go into self-protection output limiting mode)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom