VRTEX VR machine VGA to laptop - can't 'see'/detect? Help?

buel

Standard Member
Hi there.
Please can someone help on this?
My College has a virtual welding machine called a VRTEX 360, link for manual here:

I want to be able to record what I see on the screen somehow so looked at page 9 on the manual and it says: '
The weld simulation can be displayed on an external monitor or
projector by using the VGA output on the back of the machine.
The external display must support 1024x768 resolution.'

Today, I used a VGA cable from the output to my laptop but my laptop didn't see or detect anything. My plan was to use some screen recording software I have to record what I did on the VRTEX machine but nothing appeared on my laptop.

Please can I ask if I am doing something wrong here?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
If you plugged it directly into the VGA output on your laptop then it won't work, laptops video ports are very rarely able to function as inputs. You need a capture card to record the signal.

Terfyn

CAMCORDER

The weld simulation can be displayed on an external monitor or
projector by using the VGA output on the back of the machine.
The external display must support 1024x768 resolution.'
You can always use a video monitor with a VGA input. I have a LG monitor, used with a videoeditor, as a second screen to my PC.
You could always use the monitor as a second screen to your laptop.

buel

Standard Member
You can always use a video monitor with a VGA input. I have a LG monitor, used with a videoeditor, as a second screen to my PC.
You could always use the monitor as a second screen to your laptop.
Thank you for this. I'm not saying I'm computer illiterate....but I'm not far off. Please could you explain this in greater detail? I am keen....

Terfyn

The VGA signal is sent from your welder and your laptop. i.e. both are outputs.
The monitor receives the signal and displays the picture. So to see the VGA output from the welder you need a screen that accepts a VGA signal as an input.

The VGA on the laptop is very important in a business enviornment. It displays the picture on the laptop screen. So if you are called to do a presentation, you might use Microsoft Powerpoint for displaying graphs, text and pictures. You plug the VGA into, say, a projector and all the "men in grey suits":D can see your presentation without crowding around a laptop screen.:thumbsup:

In effect you were trying to connect an output into another output.:facepalm:

buel

Standard Member
Ahhhhh.....got it. Thank you. So could you possibly describe how I work around this, as you mentioned?

Terfyn

A simple solution would be a VDU (screen) with a VGA input. DELL and LG do a range. Plus a number of small monitor screens. Example a ETEPON 7 Inch HD Display at £57.99 from Amazon.
OR you can get a VGA to HDMI converter and plug it into your TV.

Terfyn

Now you ask a lot. I would guess that you need:
A VGA to HDMI converter - see Amazon
A HDMI Video Capture Device - again see Amazon

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom