VRR is nearly here PS5 update

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i knew it was coming and so did everyone else but when....my bravia TV had the update last month so just needed the PS5...well on todays Playstation blog Sony says its coming in the months ahead (why not now!)

also have the ability to use it on any games not just VRR games...interesting..please read

thoughts?

Last edited:
Beggars belief why VRR is taking so long to be implemented.

Probably just really low priority for Sony. The console is selling just fine without it and the majority of purchasers probably don't know what VRR is, if they even have a TV that supports it. Doesn't help av enthusiasts like us though 😅

I think the answer is cheekily that their own flagship TVs have only just started to support VRR and Sony didn't want the scenario of the PS5 supporting a feature that their TVs couldn't use.

I bet once it arrives most of us won't even notice! I can't say screen tearing or frame drops is something I've noticed yet.

I think the answer is cheekily that their own flagship TVs have only just started to support VRR and Sony didn't want the scenario of the PS5 supporting a feature that their TVs couldn't use.

I bet once it arrives most of us won't even notice! I can't say screen tearing or frame drops is something I've noticed yet.

Not played Far Cry 6 or Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, both having screen tearing, especially the former, or Elden Ring, The Smurfs: Mission Vileaf or Spyro: Reignited Trilogy, both of which have bad stuttering? All of those games run smoothly without any of those issues on my Xbox Series X, thanks to VRR. In some cases it is a night and day difference; the tearing in Far Cry 6 and the stuttering in The Smurfs: Mission Vileaf is pretty horrendous on PS5 and I defy anyone to claim they don't notice it! They render both games near unplayable for me, personally. Both are transformed on Xbox Series X and a joy to play.

VRR is a must-have feature in my opinion as no game has a perfect locked framerate so VRR helps mask any drops to give a 100% smooth gaming experience. That it is taking so long to come to PS5 is extremely disappointing - it was basically why I bought an Xbox Series X and why I stopped buying third-party games for my PS5 - but also worrying to see Sony mentioning games needing patches to support VRR. Unless they are referring to unlocking the 30 FPS framerate caps in games then no patching should be required as VRR is a hardware feature of the HDMI port that works in conjunction with the GPU (graphics) and VRR-compatible TVs. It's why you can still play old games with VRR that pre-date the release of this tech on PC and Xbox. It is basically designed to "just work" with the only requirements being said VRR TV and console/PC hardware.

It is also depressing that Sony chose to announce that VRR will be here in the "coming months" on the release of the current firmware update, almost as if to distract from that version's measly feature-set, as these major updates that add features typically come out every three to four months. My guess is we won't see VRR on PS5 until at least June (2022 hopefully). By that point, the PS5 will have been 18 months without VRR. Just as a side-note, I was using VRR with my Xbox One X on my LG B9 TV back in August... 2019!!!

Last edited:
I actually haven't played any of those games, but I'll take your word that it does make a difference and hopefully we'll finally have what the box has been promising since launch day!

Apparently, VRR is coming to PS5 globally this week. Sony mention a list of games that will be patched to support VRR over the coming weeks, including Resident Evil: Village and Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition which offer modes that don't run at a locked 60 FPS and so will benefit from VRR.

Spider-Man Remastered and Miles Morales are also receiving patches this week to add 40 FPS / 120 Hz modes (like Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart) as well as modes that support VRR.

Cannot wait for this...

P.S. I might finally be able to finish The Smurfs: Mission Vileaf on my PS5!!!

I use my PS5 on an LG CX, looks beautiful & have never noticed any screen tearing or anything but still ........ finally! :)

VRR is out NOW but you will need to restart your PS5 to see it in the option as there is no new firmware update required to use it.

I set it to force VRR for unsupported games and tried The Smurfs: Mission Vileaf but, unfortunately, it is a still a horrid jerky mess on PS5 (the game runs great on Xbox Series X with VRR enabled though).

Will try some other games later, including the screen tear-tastic Far Cry 6!!!

Tried with Hell let loose earlier. Onscreen vvr display was saying drops to low 50s in cornfields when panning around yet it felt like a locked 60.
I'm pretty impressed.

Anyone getting a black or distorted screen when enabling 120hz vrr on Spiderman? Running C9 with latest firmware

Anyone getting a black or distorted screen when enabling 120hz vrr on Spiderman? Running C9 with latest firmware

I have an LG B9 and Spider-Man Remastered works perfectly in 40 fps 120 Hz mide with VRR enabled.

I have an LG B9 and Spider-Man Remastered works perfectly in 40 fps 120 Hz mide with VRR enabled.
Update: apparently just trying 15 times or so, then waiting on the black screen for 5 mins got it working 😅
For reference, he's an image of the distortion I was getting when it wasn't blank.

Attachments

• IMG_20220426_210853.jpg
    IMG_20220426_210853.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 45
Don't know if it's a placebo effect or not but had a breif blast on GTA online during my lunch break, that does seem much smoother, this is with a CX & the 'VRR for unsupported games' option turned on. I'll give Ratchet & Clank & Spiderman a blast after work.

Don't know if it's a placebo effect or not but had a breif blast on GTA online during my lunch break, that does seem much smoother, this is with a CX & the 'VRR for unsupported games' option turned on. I'll give Ratchet & Clank & Spiderman a blast after work.

You can also disable motion blur in GTA now they have given you a slider option in the video settings.

Update: apparently just trying 15 times or so, then waiting on the black screen for 5 mins got it working 😅
For reference, he's an image of the distortion I was getting when it wasn't blank.

It may be a cable problem.

Are you using the HDMI cable that came with the PS5 or a third-party one, say, because you needed a longer one than the one provided with the console? Longer cables (over 3m) can have issues due to loss of signal - the screen may blink/flicker or show distortion - so in general you should only use a certified 4K 120 Hz (40-48 Gbps) cable and stick to 3m or less. If you need longer cables then you can use fibre optic HDMI cables, I believe, but they tend to be expensive.

It may be a cable problem.

Are you using the HDMI cable that came with the PS5 or a third-party one, say, because you needed a longer one than the one provided with the console? Longer cables (over 3m) can have issues due to loss of signal - the screen may blink/flicker or show distortion - so in general you should only use a certified 4K 120 Hz (40-48 Gbps) cable and stick to 3m or less. If you need longer cables then you can use fibre optic HDMI cables, I believe, but they tend to be expensive.
Using the cable that came with the ps5. Will try different hdmi port and cable if issues persist

The option hasn't shown up for me yet, I'm keen to try it out as I have a TV that supports it.

By reboot, do you mean start it up then choose restart from the power menu? Mines been on and off a few times this week but the option hasn't shown so far

Oddly, my frame rates are just showing as fixed in the VRR menu, no matter what game... despite having VRR enabled and unsupported checked.

LG GX

Is anyone else locked at 60Hz maximum for VRR?

I've a JZ2000 and I'm not the only one getting a message via the PS5 dashboard that claims (under video output information) 'the connected HDMI device only supports up to 60Hz', which obviously isn't true and to contradict itself, further down in the same tune the PS5 confirms up to 120Hz in both SDR and HDR.

I found a reddit thread where a user has an LG is asking the same question.

Last edited:
I tried BF2042 with VRR (unsupported games on) and the LG pop up game menu showed VRR as on but my frame rate, usually 60, was 59. Game played fine, I didn't notice anything untoward. I'll leave it all on unless a game misbehaves. Would be nice to have a game that officially supports it to see if I notice any difference

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom