VRR is nearly here PS5 update

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
Yet my C9 doesn’t support VRR apparently? Although I did notice a new option for Dark Fine tuning
Make sure you have ALLM on mate. That was my issue on the GX

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
got to say im pretty confused by VRR i know what it does and what the benefits are supposed to be. Digital foundry talking about elden ring on 60hz output instead of setting it to 120hz confused me. VRR range would then be 48 to 60 not 48 to 120

and with xbox you can get the vrr range to work from 20 to 120 but im not supposed to set my xbox to output to my tv at 120hz output because of persistence blur? and i wouldn't want to engage VRR because i couldnt implement black frame insertion i dont even know if ive got that on or where it is on my tv? is it on or off in game mode on LGCX
BFI will be off in game mode on LGs as standard.

stephentw

Don't they also exclude 1440p output from PS5 too? Sony do some unusual things, I'm the same Xbox for main and PS5 for the exclusives.

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
Nothing is ever straight forward with Sony. They insist in doing things their own way, not playing nice with others... I've had enough.

I've just ordered an X-Box, I'll probably just keep the PS5 for the Sony exclusives (God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn/West, TLOU etc) but, will start to do most of my gaming on the X-Box, which will be here tomorrow.
That's a hell of a reaction. Hope the Xbox does everything you want it to.

shoemaker666

Distinguished Member
so going by the digital foundry video they would like ps5 to offer

LFC support for VRR
ability to turn off ALLM
1440p output

Last edited:

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
Indeed, which is baffling considering they've an AMD processor under the hood. So, why not us Freesync?!

They've excluded lots of monitor users in doing it the way they have, and it would appear, us Panasonic owners.
I thought you had an A90j?

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member

I prefer Michael Thompson, or NX gamer if you will. Here's his ign vrr video. Excellent as always.
Not a reason to buy an xb imo but each to their own.

Flawed Tactics

Think I’ve said this before so forgive my harking on, but I can live without all this, I want to say none sense but I appreciate its important to some gamers.

I have a PS5 and Series X and have yet to play a game that is unplayable from frame drops or tearing. Yes tearing can be unsightly but again, not really encountered anything that ruins the game.

Maybe I’m just not arsed and that’s why I ain’t bothered by minor drops and tears, my Sony TV supports VRR and maybe one day I will look into it, but in all honesty and from reading these threads it really isn’t worth my effort, turning on for one game, turning off for another.

Gamers shouldn’t be relying on these features anyway, developers should be releasing games that run stable out the box.

Barney Gumble

Think I’ve said this before so forgive my harking on, but I can live without all this, I want to say none sense but I appreciate its important to some gamers.

I have a PS5 and Series X and have yet to play a game that is unplayable from frame drops or tearing. Yes tearing can be unsightly but again, not really encountered anything that ruins the game.

Maybe I’m just not arsed and that’s why I ain’t bothered by minor drops and tears, my Sony TV supports VRR and maybe one day I will look into it, but in all honesty and from reading these threads it really isn’t worth my effort, turning on for one game, turning off for another.

Gamers shouldn’t be relying on these features anyway, developers should be releasing games that run stable out the box.
Sorry, couldn't disagree with you more.

People are paying, in some instances, thousands for TVs. Why would you then resort to feeding it the worst possible source if there's better to be had?

And whilst I agree developers should only release a product that doesn't suffer with tearing (of which I too haven't seen any evidence of), why can't consoles deal with factors beneficial to the end user at console level?
As you quite rightly said, why does the end user have to determine which game works with VRR and Sony's poxy 3D audio nonsense? Why can't it just be enabled for all and be done with it. It either works with the game or doesn't, either way, but there's no down side to leaving the settings enabled, which there is with the 3D audio.

Why? Because it's Sony and their weird decisions and this stupid logic of not playing nice with companies such as Dolby etc.

It would be so much easier to implement Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos and Freesync (and probably cheaper) than attempting to develop their own unique to the PS5 features that simply do not work for every game.

It isn't the end users fault, it's Sony's.

Doctor Hades

I prefer Michael Thompson, or NX gamer if you will. Here's his ign vrr video. Excellent as always.
Not a reason to buy an xb imo but each to their own.

I watched that after the Digital Foundry video and the IGN one was just so much better. Not only was it more interesting to watch since it wasn't a boring split-screen with two people talking but it showed the framerates of games running with VRR and explained the technology so much better. Digital Foundry's video was clearly rushed and looked as if it was filmed straight after their DF Weekly video.

Doctor Hades

You can have games that run with "stable" framerates but still have the occasional dip below their target framerates since it is impossible to optimise games for all circumstances unless it is a linear game with limited camera movement. Very few games have 100% locked framerates, they will dip from time to time, perhaps with screen tearing, so VRR works great with these games and is why I am personally happy to finally see it on PS5.

Optimising a game to run at 30, 60 or 120 fps with a locked framerate means that their is potentially a lot of wasted overhead, e.g. if a game runs at 58 fps at best unlocked during testing then the developers would have to lock it to 30 fps to avoid stutter and/or screen tearing (if it using adaptive v-sync). This is where VRR is great because you can still have these locked framerates but you can also unlock them for VRR to allow for smoother gameplay with improved input latency because the game can now run perfectly between 30 to 58 fps***. This is what Insomniac have done with Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Spider-Man Remastered and Spider-Man: Miles Morales, offering locked 30, 40 and 60 fps modes (with RT) and unlocked 30, 40 and 60 fps modes that mean that you can not only use the Fidelity modes that feel more like 60 fps but with higher resolutions and effects but you can also play the Performance modes above 60 fps for improved input latency. It really is game-changing in my opinion.

VRR can also help fix poorly coded games such as those from FromSoftware and Ubisoft, which almost always have screen tearing (Far Cry 6 was especially bad on PS5 in my experience) and, yes, it should be required but if it can fix these issues on your TV and give a better game experience then why would you not want to use it?

*** Limited to 48 to 58 fps on PS5 at 60 Hz currently due to lack of 120 Hz and LFC in all games without patching, which is what Insomniac have done with their three games on PS5.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom