VRR is nearly here PS5 update

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
I'm a bit stumped as to why my GX is saying VRR is not supported in the video output info screen - anyone got any ideas?

Barney Gumble

I'm a bit stumped as to why my GX is saying VRR is not supported in the video output info screen - anyone got any ideas?
I haven’t an LG but, based on my Panasonic, do you need to enable VRR within either the HDMI settings or picture preset settings on your TV?

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
Hmmm... I don't think I do, but I'll have a fiddle. There's nowhere to enable it on the LG. Theres an AMD Freesync option, but not VRR.

Oddly - VRR was set to Auto, so I flicked it to off and back to Auto to try and jog it on, and now my PS5 is just telling me that my TV doesn't support Vrr, which it clearly does.

PS5 and TV have just been rebooted... no joy :(

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
Sorted it, but I don't like it... Had to turn ALLM back on on the TV. I turned it off as it was annoying me every time the PS5 started, as I already have everything to start up in game mode etc, and being in ALLM was making the screen flick in and out of HDR on start-up, which didn't seem necessary.

Anyhow - that fixed the VRR issue.

Rieper47

Sorted it, but I don't like it... Had to turn ALLM back on on the TV. I turned it off as it was annoying me every time the PS5 started, as I already have everything to start up in game mode etc, and being in ALLM was making the screen flick in and out of HDR on start-up, which didn't seem necessary.

Anyhow - that fixed the VRR issue.
Same on the lg c9. I also don't like the allm popup every time I start the console, start a game and again if it changes HDR/SDR/120hz

Not sure if it's the TV or ps5 requiring allm though

shoemaker666

Distinguished Member
I must be the only one who likes the ALLM and HDR pop ups on the LG i just wish the ALLM was smaller like the HDR one. Also a VRR one would be nice as well

markc000

Had no idea the update was out!

Just a note if anyone else sees this issue, when VRR was enabled on the PS5 my controller developed a horrendous lag until the moment I actually enabled on the TV as well under “HDMI signal format”

Barney Gumble

I'm not seeing up to 120Hz VRR, only 48-60Hz. Dirt 5 is locked at 120Hz via my JZ2000.

VRR is enabled within the picture preset.

I'm scratching my head here.

SunnyIntervals

It is a bit strange. I played Horizon forbidden west, not supported officially with a patch, and yesterday the LG game menu showed VRR on, today it didn't.

rousetafarian

I have an LG B9 and Spider-Man Remastered works perfectly in 40 fps 120 Hz mide with VRR enabled.
Yet my C9 doesn’t support VRR apparently? Although I did notice a new option for Dark Fine tuning

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
Some folks might have to enable ALLM instant game response and hdmi deep colour for it to work

stephentw

Yep not working on my JZ1500 above 60 either. Annoying because the 40fps mode on ratchet and clank requires 120hz mode.

SunnyIntervals

It's showing as On while playing Cyberpunk 2077 and does seem to smooth out the gameplay using 30fps mode, which I prefer for the ray tracing.

gambit6

I'm disappointed that VRR only works with PS5 games. I'm sure there are plenty of PS4 games that could have benefitted

shoemaker666

Distinguished Member
got to say im pretty confused by VRR i know what it does and what the benefits are supposed to be. Digital foundry talking about elden ring on 60hz output instead of setting it to 120hz confused me. VRR range would then be 48 to 60 not 48 to 120

and with xbox you can get the vrr range to work from 20 to 120 but im not supposed to set my xbox to output to my tv at 120hz output because of persistence blur? and i wouldn't want to engage VRR because i couldnt implement black frame insertion i dont even know if ive got that on or where it is on my tv? is it on or off in game mode on LGCX

Last edited:

Doctor Hades

got to say im pretty confused by VRR i know what it does and what the benefits are supposed to be. Digital foundry talking about elden ring on 60hz output instead of setting it to 120hz confused me. VRR range would then be 48 to 60 not 48 to 120

and with xbox you can get the vrr range to work from 20 to 120 but im not supposed to set my xbox to output to my tv at 120hz output because of persistence blur? and i wouldn't want to engage VRR because i couldnt implement black frame insertion i dont even know if ive got that on or where it is on my tv? is it on or off in game mode on LGCX

Games can run at 60 fps but output at 120 Hz by displaying one frame over two refreshes.

In order for games that have wildly varying framerates such as Elden Rings, which is a poorly coded game in my book, to work properly with VRR the game needs to run at 120 Hz so that LFC (low framerate compensation) can work by doubling the lower framerates, those that fall below 48 fps, so they fall within the VRR window, e.g. if Elden Ring falls to 45 fps then at 60 Hz this would fall below the VRR range of 48-60 Hz so the game would visibly stutter as VRR is disengaged until the framerate again reaches 48 fps or higher. LFC doesn't work at 60 Hz because 45 fps doubled would require the screen to refresh at 90 Hz which is outside of the 48-60 Hz VRR range. However, in 120 Hz mode, this will work as 90 Hz is within the 48-120 Hz VRR window for that refresh rate. LFC can even triple the framerate in some cases to keep within the VRR range, e.g. 23 fps could be displayed at 69 Hz to keep within the 48-120 Hz VRR range since doubling it to 46 fps would still be outside of this range.

Personally, I have my Xbox Series X set to 120 Hz and VRR enabled and I've never noticed any major issues playing games on that system. VRR does its "thing" for almost every single game I've played (with other Halo: Infinite and Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition not working fully with VRR due to the way they are coded). John Linneman mentions persistence blur but I have never noticed this on my LG B9 OLED so it comes down to individual perception of motion of these TVs. The Xbox Series consoles also have a wider range of VRR, 40-120 Hz, as mentioned by John Linneman, so I will still continue to buy third-party games for my Xbox Series X rather than PS5. I think VRR is better implemented on Xbox Series X|S but then Microsoft have had a 5 year head start of this technology over Sony, who, as usual, arrive extremely late to the party!!!

As for BFI (Black Frame Insertion), you will know if it is enabled if you go to the Tru Motion settings and check there. Game Mode, which you should be using for games consoles as it offers the lowest input latency, generally disables BFI when used with VRR but some TVs allow both to be used. However, it is possible to have BFI and VRR seemingly enabled, in which case you would have to play the game to see if it stutters or not. If BFI and VRR are on but the game stutters (Elden Ring would be a good game to test for this) then that would suggest VRR is disabled due to using BFI. Personally, I would only use BFI for older non-HDR games with locked framerates (30 or 60 fps) and ignore if you want to use VRR. BFI noticeably darkens the screen anyway and lead to a diminished HDR presentation because of it.

Last edited:

SunnyIntervals

Ah, I'm playing Cyberpunk 2077 at the moment and ray tracing mode supposedly runs at 30fps, but my LG TV is telling me it's running at 60. It is playing very smoothly, whether that's down to VRR I don't know, but the game settings shows that VRR is on.

Doctor Hades

Ah, I'm playing Cyberpunk 2077 at the moment and ray tracing mode supposedly runs at 30fps, but my LG TV is telling me it's running at 60. It is playing very smoothly, whether that's down to VRR I don't know, but the game settings shows that VRR is on.

That's because the VRR indicator is actually showing the refresh rate (in Hz) and not the framerate (fps).

TVs don't display at 30 Hz, it is usually 40-120 Hz for VRR supported one and 60/120 Hz for those that don't (so a 30 fps game displays a new frame every 33.33ms or every second refresh of a 60 Hz display).

LFC could be doubling that 30 fps to 60 Hz for output giving the impression it is running smoothly. However, my own experiences on PS5 suggest that LFC is not working at 60 Hz, although it seems to be on Xbox Series X where Spyro Reignited Trilogy, a 30 fps game with bad framepacing that was never fixed via a patch, runs silky-smooth with the console set to 120 Hz, meaning that the framerate may be being doubled to 60 Hz or even tripled to 90 Hz to keep within the 40-120 Hz VRR range for Xbox Series consoles, thus, making the framepacing issues far less noticeable. The same game on the PS5 with VRR enabled runs at 30 fps with the same stuttering due to bad framepacing as it cannot be forced to 120 Hz mode, not that VRR works with PS4 games anyway.

It is great to finally have VRR support on PS5, especially for Ubisoft games, which almost always have bad screen tearing, but the implementation is a bit limited compared with the competition which allows 120 Hz to be forced for all games, reducing input latency, and VRR in a wider 40-120 Hz range than on PS5.

Barney Gumble

Nothing is ever straight forward with Sony. They insist in doing things their own way, not playing nice with others... I've had enough.

I've just ordered an X-Box, I'll probably just keep the PS5 for the Sony exclusives (God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn/West, TLOU etc) but, will start to do most of my gaming on the X-Box, which will be here tomorrow.

Barney Gumble

technically sony have implemented VRR to the standard HDMI forum specification
Indeed, which is baffling considering they've an AMD processor under the hood. So, why not us Freesync?!

They've excluded lots of monitor users in doing it the way they have, and it would appear, us Panasonic owners.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PSB Speakers unveils Passif 50 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung Gaming Hub goes live
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Huawei unveils FreeBuds Pro 2 true wireless earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony unveils Inzone gaming brand