VRR help please

Mike15111984

Hi everyone,

ive recently upgraded to a series x, can anyone please tell me how VRR works? I was under the assumption that VRR matches the games framerate and the tv's refresh rate? This is not the case in my testing.

So when xbox is set to 4k 60hz in display setting:

30fps games are at 59hz, Why does it not show 30hz? 👎

60fps games stay at 59hz, refresh rate drops and matches frames etc, this is how i thought it would work 👍

When the xbox is set to 4k 120hz in the display settings:

30fps games are at 119hz, Why is it not showing 30hz? 👎

60fps games are at 119hz, Why does it not report 60hz? 👎

120fps games are at 119hz which is correct, any drops in frames is matched with the tv 👍

Any help would be really appreciated.

Mike

amardilo

Distinguished Member
I think VRR is more to help smooth out the experience with uneven frame pacing and get rid of screen tearing (so if a game is a solid 60 or 30 fps you won't see any difference).

It varies on your display but most I've seen have a VRR window of 45 to 60 fps (or higher for enabled 120Hz screens). So if a game set for 60fps starts dropping frames (i.e. due to too much action on screen) but is still above 45 fps the TV will be able to handle it and not start tearing.

These are a bit old (and are for the old gen console) but these videos testing VRR/FreeSync on the Xbox One X might give some extra info:

Last edited:

Mike15111984

I think VRR is more to help smooth out the experience with uneven frame pacing and get rid of screen tearing (so if a game is a solid 60 or 30 fps you won't see any difference).

It varies on your display but most I've seen have a VRR window of 45 to 60 fps (or higher for enabled 120Hz screens). So if a game set for 60fps starts dropping frames (i.e. due to too much action on screen) but is still above 45 fps the TV will be able to handle it and not start tearing.

These are a bit old (and are for the old gen console) but these videos testing VRR/FreeSync on the Xbox One X might give some extra info:

Thanks for the info, i will give those video's a watch later on, according to rtings, my tv for an example has minimum refresh rate of 20hz and maximum of 120hz at resolution of 1440p.

So i switched the xbox over to 1440p @ 60hz to test and it behaved the same, a game of 30fps that i know has slight frame drops still reports 59hz that drops slightly to match the frames so i can see its working, just dont know why it does not show 30hz.

When 1440p @ 120hz is output, every game reports 119hz regardless of frame rate, the refresh rate does jump around so i can see it doing something, just baffles me that it doesnt match the frame rate as i have been led to believe. I did read somewhere that its a bug with xbox due to frame doubling or something but ive no clue.

Mike

shoemaker666

Distinguished Member
im assuming youve got your series X it in the right HDMI port

I know VRR works on my LG as when i have screen tearing i turn on the VRR on the xbox and the screen tearing disappears

Mike15111984

im assuming youve got your series X it in the right HDMI port

I know VRR works on my LG as when i have screen tearing i turn on the VRR on the xbox and the screen tearing disappears
Vrr supported on all ports but i have it in my port 4, so yes, if you read my previous posts you would see that im not claiming VRR does not work, im asking why the framerate of a game say 30fps for example, does not tell the tv to be at 30hz and then adjust as the frames dip, instead it sits at 59hz, and dips as the frames dip as it should, but not at 60hz, it should be at 30hz surely?

Indiana Jones

I personally wouldn't put too much trust in what the display is telling you, for the longest time 120fps showed at 5.5hz on my LG lol

I recently played through Dying Light 2 which added a 60+ VRR mode and sometimes it got up to near 120 but a lot of the time it hovered between 60-80 but I honestly could not tell when it dipped, everything just stayed really smooth and responsive, then I went and switched to the 60fps mode and instantly I could tell it was not running as well then I tried out the 30fps mode and god damn how did I ever put up with games running at that speed, Series X has really opened my eyes.

Mike15111984

I personally wouldn't put too much trust in what the display is telling you, for the longest time 120fps showed at 5.5hz on my LG lol

I recently played through Dying Light 2 which added a 60+ VRR mode and sometimes it got up to near 120 but a lot of the time it hovered between 60-80 but I honestly could not tell when it dipped, everything just stayed really smooth and responsive, then I went and switched to the 60fps mode and instantly I could tell it was not running as well then I tried out the 30fps mode and god damn how did I ever put up with games running at that speed, Series X has really opened my eyes.
This is all i wanted to know, as long as i know its working as intended then im fine with the tv reporting false rates, its still very odd how it doesnt work properly etc, ive defo noticed it play smoother while on so i will leave my X at 120hz from now on, i used to enjoy the cinematic look of 30fps for games, after having a X and ps5, 30fps now feels like its in slow motion lol and takes a fair while to get used to it again.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom