VRO file unrecognised on PC (rdxs32)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Biccy, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but i have done many searches & cant find the same problem....after owning the rdxs32 ages ive finally decided to take video content from the HDD, put it onto a RAM disc & attempt to put in onto PC HDD for editing etc..

Have followed the suggestion of using TMPGenc (from Rasczak's Guide: DVD RAM etc..). When i load up the disc on my PC none of the files are recognised by windown XP (every file in all 3 folders has that empty white box symbol) & TMPGenc. The video will however play in PowerDVD & although WMPlayer wont recognise the file you can force it to play it. Problem is i can get nowhere with TMPGenc, when i browse to select source file it sais 'File ''E:\DVD_RTAV\VR_MOVIE.VRO'' can not open, or unsupported' .

Can anyone suggest what i may be doing wrong, or if i need additional software on my PC to recognise the files, as im sure the problem lies with me somewhere, & I know for sure its not something incorrect in the guide.

Thanks in advance.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,600
    It's sounds like you might not have the DVD-RAM drivers installed - or not properly installed - so we will start the troublshooting from there. First and foremost disable any instant writing software you have installed - InCD for example. Then download the DVD-RAM drivers for you OS - the easiest place to find them is here. Download the driver (don't worry if your drive isn't listed). As always virus check the file and then install it. Reboot and try again.

3. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rasczak, thanks for helping out on this one. You wll have to excuse my lack of knowledge through this....what & where would ''instant writing software'' be? Sorry!

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,600
    Ok - don't get to bogged down in that at this stage then. Just check for InCD itself - have a look in Window's Task Tray (by the clock) and see if there is an icon in there which says InCD. If there is you need to get rid of it - either by going to Add Remove programmes and removing the InCD or, if it has been installed with another application (Nero for example), uninstall that.

One you've done this, or haven't seen the InCD icon in the Task Tray try the DVD-RAM drivers I linked to.

5. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Checked in task bar (for INCD) & did file search & it wasnt there....clicked on the link which took me to a DVD-RAM updater page & went to the XP download at bottom of page, downloaded & when i open it starts installation process but comes up with ''DVD-RAM Driver to be updated is not installed. Canceling setup program''. I selected the only download available....have i got it wrong or does this mean what you said earlier, that the driver has never been installed in the first place?

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,600
    Ok - what DVD burner are you using?

7. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its an lg gsa-4081b

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,600
    If you could still answer the above question it would help - however look here for UDF DVD-RAM drivers (for 2000 or XP). A direct link to the XP one (which I assume you are using) is here. Naturally virus check everything!

It's a RAR file I'm afraid so you may need WinRAR to unzip it. Note that in many instances just changing the file extension from .rar to .zip means it will uncompress using WinZip/Windows ;)

So try installing that. Then see if it works. If not try the previous file you have downloaded to see if that works now. And then try again. And if not comeback ;)

9. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    which question to answer?

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,600
    Sorry - you must have replied whilst I typed - the which drive question.

11. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phew, had me confused then, was checking thread for unanswered questions! OK i went to first link in your reply at 9:42 & found the LG 4081b section, the A101 & A101 xr zip files do the same & when i open them in sais that current version is A101 & still installs A101, reboot etc... which i did. The A104 sais URL not found. It still comes up same problem, & the second link, RAR file (which i didnt get to originally) wont open....if i change to zip it changes folder icon to zip file but when trying to open it wont & sais about it being corrupted?

When the install comes up for previously downloaded file it comes up with same comment about DVD Driver to be updated is not installed.

Sorry to burden you with this, im just havin no luck this evening!

12. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a thought, could it be something im doing at the RDXS32 stage...i cant imagine what cos the disc contains the right files from what ive read up on.

13. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,600
    At this stage I won't rule anything out - but the first thing we need to sort is the DVD-RAM driver on your PC - from what you've said I'm certain there is a problem.

Ok - attempt 2 to get the driver ( ;) ) - goto this website for the LG DVD-RAM driver - select one of the four links for the Operating Systems. As always virus check the file.

If you still don't have any luck goto the official Panasonic DVD-RAM site which I hate referring people to because it's in Japanese and, in my experience, most Brits don't read Japanese.

14. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just to make sure i dont mess up am i clicking the OEM or retail link? or doesnt it matter?

15. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,600
    I assume you have Windows XP - the link you want is the one marked:

stáhnout soubor (WinXP)

Ignore the drive list below it! Hence why I said "select one of the four links for the Operating Systems" - I have to admit though I did wonder when I typed it whether I was being clear enough!

16. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no its me, you were clear enough but i dont think my brains switched on today! downloading as we speak.....

17. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well im getting somewhere...cant remember all the processes/how i got there but i eventually got sent to a site with a trial download or winrar & it let me install a driver, & after that the upgrade from earlier let me go ahead...it didnt say that ''DVD-RAM Driver to be updated is not installed. Canceling setup program'' It now installs & asked me to reboot. However...i have done this & the files from my RAM disk still seem to not be recognised by windows or TMPGenc. At least ive made some progress, thank you. Any ideas with the unsupported file now that im guessing the driver is OK?

18. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,600
    We will have to continue this tomorrow evening - I'm off to bed as I'm up at 0500 :) However can you do some tests using a non-critical programme (i.e. one which should it become corrupted will not result in you hunting me down and brutually murdering me).

1) Open Windows Explorer, double click on the drive and tell me precisely what you see, i.e. do you see the DVD_RTAV folder?

2) If 1 worked can you double click on the DVD_RTAV folder and tell me precisely what files you see.

3) If 2 worked and you can see one called VR_MOVIE.vro can you copy that to the HDD by dragging and dropping?

4) If 3 worked can you try dragging and dropping the whole DVD_RTAV folder to the PC?

5) If trials 2, 3 and 4 do not work can you try re-installing the driver only (not the Driver update) and try to avoid rebooting. Attempt to do the trials 1 to 4 again and see if they work this time. (this will determine if instant write software is over-writing the DVD-RAM drivers)

Just some other questions that might help me solve your problem:
    - What Operating System are you using (I assume XP?) - is that Service Pack 2?
    - What brand/speed of DVD-RAMs are you using?

19. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep no problem, will do all that tomorrow (late evening as working until 8 unfortunately) & let you know how i get on. Need a break from this too tonight, giving me a headache! Thanks for all you help tonight, its really appreciated.

20. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK here goes...all steps were performed OK including transfering to PC HD. The files within DVD_RAV are:

VR_MANGR.BUP (14kb)
    VR_MANGR,IFO (14kb)
    VR_MOVIE.VRO (335,220kb) - This file is fairly small as its not a very long clip, just a few minutes to test.

If i double click on any of them (as i say they are all in white empty icons) it sais ''windows cannot open this file etc...'' If i right click & go to properties part of the text that comes up sais ''Opens With: Unkonwn application.''

I am using Windows XP & the disks are Panasonic 2~3x speed (model number DDOMAF120LE)

Hope this info helps, thanks.

21. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,600
    The fact you can now see the files means that the DVD-RAM drivers are intact on your system. If you can just do one final check and try copying a full, or almost full, disk (at least several GBs) to your HDD - if that works we can safely conclude your DVD-RAM drivers are fine.

The next thing to do then is to detect where the problem occurs after here. Can you conduct the following steps:

1) Load TMPG Encoder Author

2) Click the 'Start' button at the top

3) Select 'Create New Project'

4) Click 'Add DVD-Video'

5) Select the DVD_RTAV folder by single clicking on it - do not double click on it to open it, i.e. so it looks like this:
    [​IMG]

6) Click OK

...and describe what happens. Can you post full copies of any error messages that appear.

22. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, will do that for you. Have to be later tonight as im working til 8...booooo.

23. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Due to circumstances ie.the lady of the house wanting to watch TV....i wont be able to create a decent sized RAM disc just yet but i will do a whole film overnight tonight. Just before i do i wondered if ther's any settings i should watch out for on the RDXS32. The only one i can see is the DVD compatible mode, should this be Off, Mode I or Mode II, or will it not matter going onto a RAM disc? Im guessing one of the DVD modes but i want to be sure, would you know about that on the Tosh?

24. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,600
    Whilst 'waiting' why not try what I suggest with a disc you already have to hand (even if only a small test recording). It will hasten the troubleshooting.

It shouldn't matter one way or the other as they are all VR compatible. At this stage lets look at your PC not the Toshiba.

25. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not sure whats going on now, before when i went to start it said something about no output file name. just had a look now & when i press start it sais ''Can't load P3package.dll''

26. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,600
    Ok - two things to try now:

1) Uninstall TMPG Encoder Author, download the programme again (even if it's still the same version) and re-install TMPG Encoder Author. Once this is done try what I ask in post #21 again. This will rule out a problem on TMPG Encoder's side.

2) Update the firmware on your LG4081 drive. I'm not sure how confident you'll be doing this. First you need to ensure it is set as the 'Master' drive and that their are no other drives/HDDs on that IDE cable. Then download the latest firmware - which you will find on the LG UK site or in the LG section of Kenny's website. Any questions ask before you do anything! Updating your firmware will resolve potential DVD-RAM/DVDRW drive issues.

27. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK. Will have to carry out the above tomorrow now cos i'll have the whole evening on it. Thanks again.

28. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. Still havings problem with TMPGenc (after uninstalling & re-installing), same message comes up ''cant load p3package.dll'' For my own sanity im gunna leave my issues with the RAM to PC for the moment, its giving me a headache! Im gunna give the Tosh's editing capabilities a try & see how i get on with that & if its got enough functions then i'll not worry about taking it onto my PC. Apart from the more advanced editing, one of the reasons i wanted to get it to my PC was so i could convert films with DVD Pocket Studio to go onto my imminent PDA but i can do that with a finalised disc i guess.

Thanks for your help anyway with this one, and your patience. Mine with my PC has run out!