1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VRO File Mystery: DVD-RAM to DVD-R

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by wilsonrio, Oct 20, 2004.

1. wilsonrio

wilsonrio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Objective:
    Convert DVD-RAM discs with TV programming originally recorded in the standalone Panasonic E50 into DVD-R. In another words I want to convert VRO files into VOB. Also I hope that my own experiences described below can help others. I am willing to collaborate in enhancing a current guide on this subject.

Reference System #1:

Standalone DVD recorder:
    Panasonic DMR-E50

DVD Disc:
    DVD-RAM

File Format:
    VRO

Recorded Video Size:
    2.42 GB (3 hours, 36 minutes and 31 seconds)

Operating System:
    Windows 2000 Professional

DVD Rewritable Drive:
    LG GSA-4120B

Software Used:
    PowerDVD 5, WinDVD 3.2, TMPGEnc Plus 2.5, TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.6.26.73, Nero OEM 6.3.1.12, MPEG-VCR V3.14, MPEG Video Wizard 2003, Power Producer 2 Gold and IsoBuster 1.6

Results:

1-Windows 2000 Professional does not recognize (read) the VRO file (VR_MOVIE.VRO). As you may know the DVD-RAM folder contains 3 files: VR_MANGR.BUP, VR_MANGR.IFO and VR_MOVIE.VRO. Windows 2000 only shows .BUP and .IFO files.

2-PowerDVD and WinDVD both can read and play the entire VRO file without any problems

Reference System #2:
    Note: Same as system #1 except the operating system is Windows XP SP1

Results:

3-Windows XP can read the VRO file (VR_MOVIE.VRO).

4-TMPGEnc DVD Author only reads the first 2 minutes and 55 seconds of video, nothing else. Tried copying to the entire DVD-RAM folder to the hard drive and changing the VRO file extension into MPG. However TMPGEnc DVD Author will only read the first 2minutes and 55 seconds.

5-Same as TMPGEnc DVD Author, MPEG-VCR V3.14 and Power Producer 2 Gold can only read the first 2 minutes and 55 seconds of video, nothing else.

Current Solution:

6-Used MPEG Video Wizard to import the VRO file and export as a MPEG2 file.

7-TMPGEnc DVD Author now can read 3 hours, 34 minutes and 44 seconds (NOT the entire recording 3 hours, 36 minutes and 31 seconds). I edited the video to cut adverts, created a new menu and was able to convert into VOB file.

8-Used Nero to burn the DVD VOB file into a DVD-R and DVD+R discs for media and equipment compatibility tests.

9-I can tell you that I was able to watch the video without any problems on standalone DVD players and PCs.

Solutions Steps:
    Used MPEG Video Wizard 2003 from Womble to import VRO file and export into MPEG2 file. Next I used TMPGEnc DVD Author to edit the MPEG2 file and convert into VOB. Last I burnt the DVD-R disc using Nero.

Unsolved Mysteries/Questions:

1-I want to know what driver, patch or other, is needed to get Windows 2000 to recognize VRO files.

2-I can’t understand why PowerDVD and WindDVD can read the entire VRO file and other programs can’t.

3-Still can’t figure out why TMPGEnc DVD Author can only read 3 hours, 34 minutes and 44 seconds (after I was able to convert into MPEG file using MPEG Video Wizard 2003). Not sure why and how I could get it to read the entire video 3 hours, 36 minutes and 31 seconds.

I would like to know your experiences and recommendations on how you got it to work, helping me and others to understand.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions,
    Wilson :lease:

2. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to know if anyone has managed to find a programme that can recover multiple recordings from DVD-RAM recorded in different formats. I have no problem using Womble if the recordings are of the same type or even XP and SP but as soon as I try XP or SP with Long Play or Extended play on the same DVD-RAM I have difficulty. I believe that there is a Panasonic software program that used to be bundled with some of their PC DVD-RAM drives but have never seen it. Apparently this software will handle differing recording formats from a single DVD-RAM

3. wilsonrio

wilsonrio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tabatha,

The Panasonic software that you are referring is DVD MovieAlbum. This software is bundled with the Panasonic PC Multi drive and DVD-RAM camcorders. http://panasonic.jp/support/software/dvdma/prod/v4up/.

Using DVD-MovieAlbum SE (LF-D321U only)
    http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/computer/storage/dvdram/images/pdf/D321UE.096-108.pdf

Panasonic also had a software agreement with Software Architects (DVD video file converter). http://www.softarch.com/us/products/index.html

Panasonic Press Release:
    http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/computer/storage/dvdram/new/press/pr_sa_082401.htm

I have not used any of the software mentioned above. However I am also interested to know more about it.

Wilson :)