VR/Video Mode, Audio Recording and Sony RDR-HXD710

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Shenoizy, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Shenoizy

Shenoizy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I'm almost ready to jump onto the HDD/digital recorder band wagon and have my heart set on a Sony RDR-HXD710. I've checked the FAQs and forum but cannot find answers to the following questions.

1b) What are VR and Video recording modes that are often used on these kind of digital video recorders?
    1a) Are they proprietery formats or well defined interchangable standards?
    1c) How do they compare with MPEG2 and other A/V video formats
    1d) Can they be copied off the HDD/DVD and used on my PC?

2a) Can I use one of these digital recorders to record only audio e.g a stereo feed from a radio broadcast?
    b) What audio format/compression is likely to be used?

3) Would it also be possible to copy existing video cassette recordings over to the hard disk and/or DVD using a basic SCART connection or equivalent i.e can they record video from non-broadcast sources?

4) Do any recorders allow you to hook them up to your PC and access the hard disks directly for copying/editing purposes? This is similiar to question 1d.

I know there are a lot of questions here but answers to some of them would be appreciated.

2. johnmccoy

johnmccoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In your order:
    1b) VR (Video Recorder) is the mode used if you want to edit a RW DVD before finalizing, Video mode is normal DVD standard. These modes only allpy to RW discs and are chosen when you format the disc. There is no real need for VR mode in a recorder with a hard disc drive.
    1a) No these are part of the DVD standard
    1c) MPEG2 is a compression method, not a DVD standard. Your recorder converts the video signal into a compressed data file using compression standards - you have no choice as to the method used as all DVDs must have to same standard. You do have a choice over the amount of compression used which determines the size of the file, hence HQ, HSP, SP, LSP etc on the Sony which allow 1, 1.5, 2 or 2.5 hours of video on a standard single layer DVD. Other levels of compression are available but picture quality drops off as you do more compression. Other DVD recorders allow more flexible compression.
    1d) No - you can only record to a blank DVD and then put that DVD into your PC drive and use one of many pieces of software to transfer, convert, edit, re-author and re-record onto a new disc.

2a) Yes
    b) Dolby Digital (AC3) compressed audio. On the Sony this is at a rate of 256Kbits/sec - This is similar to an MP3 file (but not the same)

3) Yes

4) No

Lopk around this site - most of this info is on here, and check out DVD editing software sites as they can teach you a lot about how it all works.

3. Chris at Home

Chris at Home

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a small supplement to the previous reply:

DVD- (video mode): The "standard" recording format. It plays back on (hopefully) all players/recorders. It can't be edited. Each recording is treated as a separate title on the disc. The disc has to be formatted, and finalized if it is to play on other equipment.

DVD- (VR mode): Similar to the above but with editing facilities accurate to 1 frame. You can erase commercials, trim off the start/finish points, and create playlists to dub back to the hard drive or on to another player. It will only play back on VR mode compatible equipment.

DVD+: The easy one to learn. Auto formatting and auto finalizing when the disc is about to be ejected. Editing is bog standard with deleting only. It's not frame accurate either. There is no "masking off" of frames to get them as accurate as the HDD or DVD- (VR mode). You often find that there are about half a dozen frames that stay behind when they should have been wiped off. This is caused by the location or the "I" frames (the "master" frames containing all the picture information). You could find a typical edit to be about 7 or 8 frames over after the beginning of the edit and 6 frames short at the end. Discs will play back on most DVD machines. You cannot record on DVD+ in widescreen mode.

4. ArtS

ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVD-RW in Video mode and VR mode are both readable on PC. Advantage of VR mode is that PC can see title information if you use eg. TMPG Editor software. On DVD Video mode you can see only Title 1, Title 2 etc, or something similar. If you use DVD VR mode you can erase any of containing title and you can get additional free space. If you do the same on DVD in Video mode, you will get free space only if you erase last title. Of course, you can erase all disc or format it.

ArtS :cool:

5. Roj

Roj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On reading the above I have one small observation; on my Sony RDR HX510 I can record on DVD+ in widescreen from my digital platforms, but cannot dub in w/s from the HDD.

6. Shenoizy

Shenoizy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks guys. You have answered all of my questions and doubts in one way or another. I think the best thing is for me to try it out and learn what I can and cannot do.