Question VR on My NVIDIA GTX 1650 Pc?

Onionn

Novice Member
So, recently I've been considering investing in an Oculus Quest 2 to use Oculus Link to connect it to my pc to play higher end VR games. Although the GTX 1650 is higher performing than some of the official Oculus Link spec recommendations, it claims that it just isn't supported (Oculus Link Compatibility). I'm wondering, though, that if it isn't supported by Oculus Link there may be another way to connect it to my pc? Or maybe my pc specs really aren't up to snuff? Or maybe I should consider in investing in a different headset? I'm just curious what anyone thinks about if my PC can run VR at all, and if so, what it's capable of.

Specs:

intel i5-8400
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1650
8 gb RAM

Tiger Feet

IMO, you would be better buying the Quest 2 and using that to play VR games directly.

If you are thinking of games like Half Life Alyx... Its not going to be great, even if it runs on your PC - sorry.

Onionn

Novice Member
IMO, you would be better buying the Quest 2 and using that to play VR games directly.

If you are thinking of games like Half Life Alyx... Its not going to be great, even if it runs on your PC - sorry.
Do you think maybe upgrading to a Geforce GTX 1650 Super would help?

Delvey

Distinguished Member
D

Deleted member 105093

As it looks like you have already decided on the Quest 2, why not just get the HMD and enjoy the native games until the rest of the GFX card supply chain sorts it self out, and then make a more cost effective upgrade card purchase.

D

Deleted member 795353

So, recently I've been considering investing in an Oculus Quest 2 to use Oculus Link to connect it to my pc to play higher end VR games. Although the GTX 1650 is higher performing than some of the official Oculus Link spec recommendations, it claims that it just isn't supported (Oculus Link Compatibility). I'm wondering, though, that if it isn't supported by Oculus Link there may be another way to connect it to my pc? Or maybe my pc specs really aren't up to snuff? Or maybe I should consider in investing in a different headset? I'm just curious what anyone thinks about if my PC can run VR at all, and if so, what it's capable of.

Specs:

intel i5-8400
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1650
8 gb RAM
It should work fine as I have run Quest on a 1060 laptop GPU. But Nvidia say the 1050 is not VR compatible but the 1050Ti and above is. Maybe the same applies to the 1650?

vrSAMUK

You'll get a specific error from Oculus runtime when you try to connect Quest 1 or 2 to PC via Link with a 1650 and it won't work (we found this out the hard way.) You could try 5GHz WiFi connection via Virtual Desktop (app) but I expect the perf won't be great

D

Deleted member 795353

You'll get a specific error from Oculus runtime when you try to connect Quest 1 or 2 to PC via Link with a 1650 and it won't work (we found this out the hard way.) You could try 5GHz WiFi connection via Virtual Desktop (app) but I expect the perf won't be great
So it might be that you need at least a 1650Ti as I said above. Anyway Virtual Desktop performance in general is at least equal to Link. But it is still an ongoing project, requires more set up and not all games will work. There is an official list of supported games.

adarkstark

Novice Member
So here are my computer specs, clearly showing I am running a 1650. Also included is a .gif of the Toybox app running from Oculus Rift through Oculus Link on that same 1650 PC utilizing an Oculus Quest 2. For inquiring minds I was using the provided out of the box USB C connection.

Attachments

• pccard3.PNG
    pccard3.PNG
    27 KB · Views: 793
  • vrrunning1650.gif
    vrrunning1650.gif
    5.9 MB · Views: 814
  • pccard2.PNG
    pccard2.PNG
    30.1 KB · Views: 794

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review