VR Immersion mods / add-ons

Discussion in 'VR Virtual Reality Forum' started by Tiger Feet, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Tiger Feet

Tiger Feet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +817
    Im just wondering what devices/add-on/DIYs everyone is using to help with immersion.

I almost exclusively 'play' driving sims.

Apart from the usual wheel and pedals (I use Fanatec) Ive recently added the 2 following bits of kit.

Next Level Racing V3 motion (seat mover)

Next Level Racing Motion Platform V3 | Next Level Racing

Now this beasty is an expensive beasty but what a game changer. It a hell of alot of money, (£1800 on Amazon) but everything now seems so lifeless without it. The software is great with all the titles you might expect and its really easy to use. Being able to feel every bump, curb, vibration and crash is amazing.

When people start to look at these things they all come to the same point. Yes my seat moves but what about my pedals? Well that was a concern of mine too but I can tell you within a few goes you adapt to allow for the movement of the seat when braking/accelerating/turning. Infact when the V3 is not active it just doesnt feel right anymore. I cant recommend the V3 enough but obviously its very costly, so its definitely not for everyone

Sim Dash Fan

Fan controller

OK on the face of it this doesnt look very exciting. But this is one of the cheaper best mods available.

What does it do? Basically it allows you to connect (PC) fans to your Sim to simulate wind speed. Now I know in real world if youre in a closed cockpit you dont feel wind speed, but this is where immersion V reality comes in.

For relatively little cost, especially if you have some PC fans lying about this just adds another layer of immersion. The software allows you to create a profile where the fan speed increases with the speed of your vehicle. As an added bonus it also keeps the sweat and fogging up away.

Not my video or setup but it gives you an idea:

AC Wind Sim Delta AFB1212SH fans

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  2. danoliver1

danoliver1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I have a jetseat 908 its basically 8 vibration motors that vibrate when you change gear or go over bumps etc i highly recommend it. 20180522_191237.jpg
    Also built a wind simulator too.9 20181104_135025.jpg

3. Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +673
    Yeah I made one of those sim dash fans too. It definitely increases immersion, I just have to remember not to catch my head in the fans when I lean forwards.

4. thesnowdog

thesnowdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I'm planning on getting a Yaw VR motion simulator next year some time assuming that it reviews well. The guys working on this have done an incredible piece of engineering here. It's a motion simulator that not only doesn't take up a great deal of space but is also light (44lbs), fully collapsible and portable.

They're currently being sold for $1199 but are trying to get investors so that they can move some of the manufacturing from Hungary to China which should bring the price down.

It may not look great but as long as it's comfortable to sit in and use for long periods I'm not too bothered about how it looks tbh.

https://www.yawvr.com

Not too sure how they've managed to sort out the motion cancelling to make it Rift compatible though, in some of their videos they've mounted a sensor to it but not sure if that's a temporary or permanent solution.

It's definitely on my radar because playing sim games in VR is awesome enough as it is right now but adding a cheap motion simulator is going to have the awesomeness through the bloomin roof!!! :D

5. Tiger Feet

Tiger Feet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +817
    Yes that yawvr does look interesting. One thing Ive learnt is small, fast movement is alot more immersive than being swung around the room. Less is more. Of course all the videos / demos have huge movement to sell the product, in reality its not needed.

6. thesnowdog

thesnowdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    They're meeting with potential investors soon too I think, so hopefully they'll be able to knock a couple of hundred quid/dollars off the price with a bit of luck.

I'm surprised that Palmer Luckey hasn't approached them yet tbh.

They're not too good with communicating on their forum either but they're keeping updates coming on their Kickstarter page so they haven't done a runner to the Cayman Islands lol

I'm going to be all over this if the reviews are good, Elite Dangerous in VR is awesome enough as it is right now but combining this with a motion simulator is going to be amazing.

7. danoliver1

danoliver1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    How did they get elite to work afaik elite dose not have telemetry data. Unless they are just using mapping the joystick inputs to the motion?

8. thesnowdog

thesnowdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    No idea. Does Elite Dangerous use Sim Tools? That's how they've got some of the other games to work I think.

I don't know the first thing about Sim Tools tbh so no idea how these things work.

9. thesnowdog

thesnowdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Just checked the Sim Tools site and Elite Dangerous is compatible with it. No DiRT Rally though!