VR headset sound processing. What's the best out there?

Pyongyang

Hello.

I'm looking to get a headest of some sort, specifically for 3D films and occasional 2D stuff. I'm leaning toward the older technology of the Sony HMZ headsets, especially as these work with Blu Ray players out of the box, no need to dump a disc 1:1 to a NAS and play back over Plex, for example.

What I'd like to know is do any of the more 'modern' head mounted displays, such as Oculus Quest 2 etc handle DTS-HD, 7.1, PLIIX audio and so on? I know the last revision of the HMZ does, but do any of the new VR headsets handle these types of audio too? Aside from the requirement of a Facebook account, the uncertainty with regards the handling of audio is one of the only things really stopping me going down the Quest 2 route.

I don't really want to spend huge sums though, and also I'd like to be able to hook up my 3D laserdiscs, VHD's and VHS tapes to a head mounted display too. HDMI isn't an issue as they are all hooked up to a DVDO processor that takes the analogue signals and spits them out as HDMI anyway. Also, DTS and AC3 from such sources is important too.

Am I looking at getting an HMZ headset for what I need, or is there anything out there more recent that fits the bill? If it comes to requiring a Facebook account, I don't have one and will only set up a fake name/profile anyway. However I still don't like the idea of Zuckerberg's slaves draining data from my retinas.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Hello.

I'm looking to get a headest of some sort, specifically for 3D films and occasional 2D stuff. I'm leaning toward the older technology of the Sony HMZ headsets, especially as these work with Blu Ray players out of the box, no need to dump a disc 1:1 to a NAS and play back over Plex, for example.

What I'd like to know is do any of the more 'modern' head mounted displays, such as Oculus Quest 2 etc handle DTS-HD, 7.1, PLIIX audio and so on? I know the last revision of the HMZ does, but do any of the new VR headsets handle these types of audio too? Aside from the requirement of a Facebook account, the uncertainty with regards the handling of audio is one of the only things really stopping me going down the Quest 2 route.

I don't really want to spend huge sums though, and also I'd like to be able to hook up my 3D laserdiscs, VHD's and VHS tapes to a head mounted display too. HDMI isn't an issue as they are all hooked up to a DVDO processor that takes the analogue signals and spits them out as HDMI anyway. Also, DTS and AC3 from such sources is important too.

Am I looking at getting an HMZ headset for what I need, or is there anything out there more recent that fits the bill? If it comes to requiring a Facebook account, I don't have one and will only set up a fake name/profile anyway. However I still don't like the idea of Zuckerberg's slaves draining data from my retinas.

Is this to be played portablly or via PC/locally at home?

If at home, your best bet is a HTPC playing whatever content you want, connected via an aVR to your speakers, and then using the headset as an output device/display.

I did this with a Quest and it worked well and an Index.

A projector would be better though generally for 3D.

If you mean portabley, I'm not sure but which output device would you be using which would require full bandwith audio?

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom