Vr headset help please

Chrispick1977

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all, my daughter plays roblox and really wants a VR headset to play it on, I know nothing about VR headsets.
I'd really appreciate it if someone could guide me as to which headset would be OK for her and if she could run it with her cloudbook and if not what would she need?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
We have been looking at the occulus quest 2 and occulus rift.
This is her cloudbook specs
  • Display diagonal: 11.6"
  • Display resolution: 1366 x 768 pixels
  • Processor: N4020 1.1 GHz
  • Internal memory: 4 GB DDR4-SDRAM
  • Internal storage: 64 GB eMMC

Headset wise the best introduction to VR headset is the quest2, this can be attached to a pc for pcvr using a high quality usb3 cable or wireless if you have a good enough wifi.

the time to buy a rift has long passed unless you can pick one up 2nd hand really cheap.

however, that pc is not gonna cut it for VR i am afraid, not by a long shot. you still need a reasonable gaming spec pc to run VR properly.
unfortunately at time of writing roblox isnt available natively for the quest, so unless you replace that laptop with something better i think you are out of luck.

I am no expert when it comes to laptops and maybe you can get better.... or better value.

but something like this is what i would be looking at for VR

its not cheap.... but then you do pay more for a laptop over a desktop.... but this is why the quest is so popular... it sidesteps the need for a PC. I am actually surprised roblox hasnt made it onto the platform yet, and would be even more surprised if it doesnt at some point... its on almost every other platform.

Last edited:
Wow I actually didn't realise it would be that much.
Should have asked this before I promised her one. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Thanks for the reply.

i mean there are cheaper ways to get a vr capable pc, a desktop will cost less, as will a 2nd hand laptop with last gen gpu in it - just make sure to get one that works with vr, there were some even high end laptops a few years back which did not work well as they flipfloped between the on cpu rubbish gpu and the discrete one)... (although as you probably know now is not a good time for buying gaming pcs)...

if you know what you are doing i reckon you could build a perfectly decent vr pc - esp for stuff like roblox - for £600 if you were happy to buy 2nd hand parts from these forums.

the gpu is what will hit you hardest, they are fetching bonkers money even 2nd hand, but you should be able to get something around a 1070ti for not too crazy money and that should be fine with a quest2 and games like roblox.... but am drifting off topic now.

btw how old is your lass? I am not one for sticking to rules (my lad is 5 and i let him use my quest 2 under supervision) just be aware officially it isnt reccomended for under.............. 13 i think it is as their vision is still developing.

honestly i dont think it will do much (any) harm if used in moderation but i could not say for sure... i personally let my lad use it for around 15 mins at a time max and only now and then. i would not let him loose with it for hrs at a time.

Last edited:
i mean there are cheaper ways to get a vr capable pc, a desktop will cost less, as will a 2nd hand laptop with last gen gpu in it - just make sure to get one that works with vr, there were some even high end laptops a few years back which did not work well as they flipfloped between the on cpu rubbish gpu and the discrete one)... (although as you probably know now is not a good time for buying gaming pcs)...

if you know what you are doing i reckon you could build a perfectly decent vr pc - esp for stuff like roblox - for £600 if you were happy to buy 2nd hand parts from these forums.

the gpu is what will hit you hardest, they are fetching bonkers money even 2nd hand, but you should be able to get something around a 1070ti for not too crazy money and that should be fine with a quest2 and games like roblox.... but am drifting off topic now.

btw how old is your lass? I am not one for sticking to rules (mine is 5 and i let him use my quest 2 under supervision) just be aware officially it isnt reccomended for under.............. 13 i think it is as their vision is still developing.

honestly i dont think it will do much (any) harm if used in moderation but i could not say for sure... i personally let my lad use it for around 15 mins at a time max and only now and then. i would not let him loose with it for hrs at a time.
She is 10 and tbf doesn't go on it that much. So I wouldn't worry.
I have built a couple pcs years ago but I'm guessing things change a lot. I'll price stuff up cheers

if anything its gotten easier...... no need for sound cards, network cards,modems, floppy drives or cd drives any more and stuff like the bios is almost fool proof if you dont try to overclock etc. Also they can boot off usb without any faffing around when you install windows.

when my lad gets to your lasses age i think i may try to build one with him and make it a project, both for fun and for education.

all you really have to do is make sure you buy the right parts which are compatible with each other which is easy enough to check.

Last edited:
Hi all, my daughter plays roblox and really wants a VR headset to play it on, I know nothing about VR headsets.
I'd really appreciate it if someone could guide me as to which headset would be OK for her and if she could run it with her cloudbook and if not what would she need?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
We have been looking at the occulus quest 2 and occulus rift.
This is her cloudbook specs
  • Display diagonal: 11.6"
  • Display resolution: 1366 x 768 pixels
  • Processor: N4020 1.1 GHz
  • Internal memory: 4 GB DDR4-SDRAM
  • Internal storage: 64 GB eMMC
Big word of warning.

My daughter is 8 and plays Roblox. I have a VR headset so gave it a go.

ROBLOX IS AWFUL IN VR.

Incredibly nauseating and the controls don't work properly.

Big word of warning.

My daughter is 8 and plays Roblox. I have a VR headset so gave it a go.

ROBLOX IS AWFUL IN VR.

Incredibly nauseating and the controls don't work properly.
Sounds much the same as the non-VR version then :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom