VR has accelerated my learning another language (German)

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member
Hey guys

I thought I post something off the cuff here. Over the years I have made some great friends through playing online VR sports games. But the friends I have made are mostly German! And it's not because I sought out Germans to be my friend but it's because they happen to be by far the most dominant players in numbers on the Europe servers in my most played VR game, Racket Fury (table tennis is very popular in Germany). Most speak great English but a couple of them not so good but they try. So I felt obliged to try learn their language and speak their language not just for those that don't speak English well but for those that do, in appreciation of them speaking my native language.

So over the past few months, I have been learning German through an online Udemy course and the excellent language learning app, DuoLingo as a companion tool. But ultimately, to learn German properly, it's best to have someone to practice German on.

And so PSVR has proven to be a brilliant way to accelerate my learning German as I chill out or compete with my German friends in Sports bar, Racket Fury, Chess Ultra and Sparc, practising my phrases and getting feedback from them. The more leisurely and world simulating the VR title is, the bigger the scope in practising my German phrases. So the best game so far for me to really get conversational with is Sports Bar given it's leisurely chill out games environment. Rec Room might be even better but I have not really explored that game much. My next step is to go on the Oculus Quest 2 and seek out social environments that are German speaking so that I can get experience with speaking to complete strangers which is a very different thing than speaking with friends (the Oculus Quest platform, being a Facebook ownership, has quite an extensive range of social VR experiences)

If you are German speaking or learning the language, hit me up to play whatever online game you like playing! Or regardless of your language, just hit me up for some VR gaming :)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom