VR Gaming Chat

Saw enough in the Stormland promo video to buy it. Hopefully will get a chance to play today.

I like the idea of stealth. I'm not so keen on the big action high tempo games.

Spent a few hours in Stormland now and am really quite enjoying it.

I like the low tempo approach. I like progressing at my own pace and having the freedom to look around, explore. The extra incentives of collecting those whatever-they-are-things helps with that.

I like the climbing physics. I've thoroughly enjoyed grappling my way up cliff faces to high up, then looking down, past my dangling feet, all the way to the ground.

The world they've created is interesting and there's lots to see.

And the mystery surrounding the game plot has me hooked too.

Don't often buy games, but I'm enjoying this one.

Yeah meanwhile valve index users are trying to revive stormland and RMaing their controllers

I dunno, I hope that's not a gloat. The controllers I have no real opinion on as I don't know much about it.

But if someone wants to play a game - one that is actually really good - and can't, despite spending all that money on a headset, no matter what headset it is, I feel for them.

If a new racing game was launched and I couldn't play it on my headset, I'd be livid.

I hope, longer term, an independent but supported platform emerges that ensures that anyone can buy a VR game, from whatever store, and be assured of a quality experience with it.

But in the mean time I'm certainly not going to be enjoying the fact that some who may want to play a certain game are unable to.

I dunno, I hope that's not a gloat. The controllers I have no real opinion on as I don't know much about it.

But if someone wants to play a game - one that is actually really good - and can't, despite spending all that money on a headset, no matter what headset it is, I feel for them.

If a new racing game was launched and I couldn't play it on my headset, I'd be livid.

I hope, longer term, an independent but supported platform emerges that ensures that anyone can buy a VR game, from whatever store, and be assured of a quality experience with it.

But in the mean time I'm certainly not going to be enjoying the fact that some who may want to play a certain game are unable to.

It’s more a dig at how dissapointed I am in valve.

It’s more a dig at how dissapointed I am in valve.

Well, yeah. We all have our opinions on who's trying to manipulate the market, and who would stand to benefit if only Oculus owners could buy Oculus games.

Some argue that Oculus deliberately lock their own eco-system to their own PCVR headsets in order to increase sales of their own PCVR headsets and increase market share. But the same people argue, when Oculus release new PCVR headsets, that they're not interested in PCVR and have abandoned the platform.

Surely both can't 'be true?

And, like with any good investigation, often the first place to look when trying to investigate the perp is who would benefit more?

Do Oculus really benefit from only being able to sell games to half the market?

Or do Steam benefit because SteamVR owners can only buy games on the Steam platform, while r other headset owners can buy games on the Steam platform too, thus taking revenue away from competitors?

I don't know. But it's easy to work out who loses the most through it all. The consumer.

Well, yeah. We all have our opinions on who's trying to manipulate the market, and who would stand to benefit if only Oculus owners could buy Oculus games.

Some argue that Oculus deliberately lock their own eco-system to their own PCVR headsets in order to increase sales of their own PCVR headsets and increase market share. But the same people argue, when Oculus release new PCVR headsets, that they're not interested in PCVR and have abandoned the platform.

Surely both can't 'be true?

And, like with any good investigation, often the first place to look when trying to investigate the perp is who would benefit more?

Do Oculus really benefit from only being able to sell games to half the market?

Or do Steam benefit because SteamVR owners can only buy games on the Steam platform, while r other headset owners can buy games on the Steam platform too, thus taking revenue away from competitors?

I don't know. But it's easy to work out who loses the most through it all. The consumer.

Not getting into this pathetic oculus vs valve conspiracy theory crap, sorry.

The point I was highlighting was valves short comings.

Fact remains valve can’t even treat their hardware consumers with a respectful rma process. Valve index reddit shows so many users waiting a month or two for replacements.

That’s ignoring their lack of any content.

There are rumblings about an announcement from Valve on Wednesday. The title "Half-life: Alyx" has bubbled up.

Might all be nonsense though.

There are rumblings about an announcement from Valve on Wednesday. The title "Half-life: Alyx" has bubbled up.

Might all be nonsense though.
I hope not man!

Stormland's length personally really dissapointed me. A nice 20 hour native Valve game will be amazing!

Stormlands not being on Steam means it won't be getting my money. I'm sure Facebook has plenty of cash to make up the deficit though. In the meantime, I've got plenty of other enjoyable titles to keep me occupied.

With Sony buying insomniac I wonder if they will eventually release stormlands on other platforms? Would be a shame if they didn't work out a deal with Facebook.

Stormlands not being on Steam means it won't be getting my money. I'm sure Facebook has plenty of cash to make up the deficit though. In the meantime, I've got plenty of other enjoyable titles to keep me occupied.

Old titles from last year or the vr port of nms?

With Sony buying insomniac I wonder if they will eventually release stormlands on other platforms? Would be a shame if they didn't work out a deal with Facebook.

I hope they do but at best I think we might see a psvr sequel in a few years time which has a better length.

Old titles from last year or the vr port of nms?
Both actually! Have a tremendous pile of shame to work through as it is... :laugh:

few VR titles in the Steam sale, think I will pickup Wolfenstein Cyber Pilot at £5.99, Skyworld is also £5.24

Not sure how I missed this

Not sure how I missed this

Beat Saber was one of the biggest success stories in VR and didn’t need to be bought out by anyone. It’s strange Facebook even wanted Beatsaber as it’s past it’s sell by date and already on Steam.

It’s a weird one.

They've bought the studio, perhaps because they have something else coming down the pipe that they want as an exclusive. Doesn't really affect Beat Saber, other than you'd now be paying into Facebook coffers if you buy it.

Beat Saber was one of the biggest success stories in VR and didn’t need to be bought out by anyone. It’s strange Facebook even wanted Beatsaber as it’s past it’s sell by date and already on Steam.

It’s a weird one.
Total guessing but maybe Facebook are stinging a bit after insomniac were bought out by Sony, thus meaning no stormlands 2 by them.
I haven't played it but I am told beat saber is many people's best ever game in VR. You are assuming they are 1 hit wonders and incapable of doing it again. Maybe they are I dunno .
What I do know is you championed Sony when they bought insomniac games but now this one is a silly purchase?
Seems a double standard there... Which is not like you Atmos ;)

For the record and cards on the table. Given the choice I wish it was insomniac who were oculus studios but that ship has sailed.

I don’t have anything against Facebook buying Studios but at least let’s be honest about why companies such as Sony and Facebook buy them. Where as Valve release Alyx as an exclusive on the Steam Store, SteamVR supports all headsets. Valve don’t seek to exclude anyone. Sony bought Insomniac to sell games on its exclusive console/ecosystem. But Facebook buy Studios that sell on PC which up until now has always been a open platform and then exclude half the PC VR headsets, the total opposite to what Valve do.

Now if Alyx had of been an Index only title I can only imagine the carnage that decision would of created not only for VR but for PC in general.

So I find it hard to understand why some champion Facebooks business model on exclusivity forcing people to hack their software while at the same time look forward to Alyx taking advantage of Valves inclusiveness. Both can’t be right, right?

As it happens I don’t own Beat Saber nor do I intend to buy it. I don’t own Space Pirate Trainer or Super Hot. But I might buy Pistol Whip over Christmas if I feel bored after Boneworks. Who knows.

at least let’s be honest about why companies such as Sony and Facebook buy them

No. This is not being honest about the companies' reasons, because we do not know the companies reasons. This is being speculative about their reasons.

But Facebook buy Studios that sell on PC which up until now has always been a open platform and then exclude half the PC VR headsets, the total opposite to what Valve do.

This is your assumption on the current situation. Your 'Valve don’t seek to exclude anyone. ' assumption could be 'Steam seek to maximise their profit from everyone' for someone else.

Indeed

if Alyx had of been an Index only title I can only imagine the carnage that decision would of created not only for VR but for PC in general.

And I should think Valve shareholders would have been non to pleased about restricting their return on investment from the game by 50%.

So I find it hard to understand why some champion Facebooks business model on exclusivity forcing people to hack their software while at the same time look forward to Alyx taking advantage of Valves inclusiveness.

I'm not sure I'm aware of anyone who even agrees with your theory about Facebook's business model, let alone champions it. Do you have any substance to your claims that people are championing this business model?

Lol

ED at least get the basics right before questioning some one else. Valve don’t have share holders they’re a private company. Unlike Facebook they don’t have to answer to anyone apart from GabeN. It’s his decision alone that’s allowing you to buy and play Alyx on your Oculus headset.

As it happens I don’t own Beat Saber nor do I intend to buy it. I don’t own Space Pirate Trainer or Super Hot. But I might buy Pistol Whip over Christmas if I feel bored after Boneworks. Who knows.
I'd put those three titles above Pistol Whip personally. All of them are good for quick-fire VR sessions and any guests that visit.

I'm generally not a fan of rhythm games, but BS is very slick and easy for visitors to pick up and play. PW is fun for awhile, but I'll be damned if I can get any sense of rhythm with it.

In fact ED I don’t know your opinion on anything because you don’t have one. 99% of your postings is to criticise mine because you don’t have one of your own.

So you tell me what Oculuses business model is and do you support exclusives and will you be buying Alyx?

Lol

ED at least get the basics right before questioning some one else. Valve don’t have share holders they’re a private company. Unlike Facebook they don’t have to answer to anyone apart from GabeN. It’s his decision alone that’s allowing you to buy and play Alyx on your Oculus headset.

Ah OK. Maybe American law is different. I used to own a company. I was the sole owner. I owned 100 shares in that company. I was a shareholder. It was a Public Limited Company.

Are you an expert on American commercial law?

In fact ED I don’t know your opinion on anything because you don’t have one. 99% of your postings is to criticise mine because you don’t have one of your own.

So you tell me what Oculuses business model is and do you support exclusives and will you be buying Alyx?

I don't know what Oculus business model is because I'm not party to that information.

Therefore I do not present my guesses about such information, that I am not party to, on internet forums, as fact.

The other questions - No, and I don't know.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom