VR Gaming Chat

The percentage of Steam users with VR...

VR.png

The other reality is that not all Oculus users use Steam either (or game).
Ok, most will, but there is no way of easily knowing the percentage of users which are not included in the survey.

I know this argument gets raked over regular but same can be said for Vives sold in Asian that only use Viveport.

I guess we’ll never know the exact figures.

Are there enough Pimax HMDs in use to show up?
I’d imagine there would be more out there than, say, a DK2. But in use? Probably not. Mine sits idle in a cupboard sadly.

I have just participated in this survey for the first time.
In fact I think it’s the first time I have ever been asked to.
I had a pop up when I started Steam up, so it’s certainly not automatic.
I wonder how many other people were the same.
If they are selective on who they ask this may not be a genuine honest survey. .

If they are selective on who they ask this may not be a genuine honest survey. .

Ha this crossed my mind too.

There are several things they know before they ask you to take the survey.

They know if you have VR games installed.

They know if you use Steam VR.

So obviously this is all complete conspiracy theory but if they wanted to skew the figures they may well be able to, by being selective about which VR users are prompted to take part in the survey.

I've never been prompted and would refuse if I was.

I’ve only taken part once, mainly as I use big picture mode and the prompts only appear in the desktop version.

Given Super Lucky's Tale seems to have escaped it's Xbox exclusivity and found its way to Nintendo Switch, and how MS appear to be playing nice with Steam, wonder if there is any chance it may come to Steam VR? I would certainly welcome it.

I know this argument gets raked over regular but same can be said for Vives sold in Asian that only use Viveport.

I guess we’ll never know the exact figures.

The vast majority of Vives over there won't use VivePort because they're not used in people's homes, they're used in people's businesses such as VR Arcades etc.

@frankieo11 what we're getting at is the Index requires two lighthouses connected to the mains (though they can be made to work with battery packs) whereas the Cosmos has onboard cameras so needs no external sensors. Hence, the Cosmos could be considered more portable if you intend on using it in many different rooms.

The biggest differential is price really. You'll get a little more FOV, more FPS, better controllers and (subjectively) superior audio with the Index but you'll pay more for it. The biggest win for the Cosmos is it will support a wireless adapter straight out the gates, but that likely drives it more expensive than the Index.

Thanks for all the info. Yes the Valve requires Lighthouse sensors but I understand those jut make tracing as perfect as can be. Inside out tracking is inferior to the sensors. As for software, one thing I’m not clear about is do the Vive, the Rift, and the Index all use the same software? Are they interchangeable as far downloading games?

Last edited:
Due to Facebook's walled garden approach only the Oculus headsets can 'officially' access the Oculus store. All other headsets can access Viveport and SteamVR.

However, Revive (a 3rd party software that grants access to the Oculus store) integrates with SteamVR and works really well, I've used it with both my Vive and Index and been confident enough to buy games from the Oculus store which I've always been able to play for the last 3 years.

It makes me very sad to see people choose an Oculus headset only because of Facebook's practice of excluding all other headsets.

It makes me sad to see people jumping to conclusions about why non-Oculus headsets can't access the Oculus environments and presenting them as fact, when they have no evidence to support their theories.

@Presuming Ed sorry, not looking to start a fanboy war. I don't know why Facebook exclude all other headsets I only know that they do exclude all other headsets, that was the only 'fact' I presented... Assuming you we're aiming at me, in which case I'm ducking :eek:

We just need to look at the facts.

Vive, Vive Pro, Vive Pro Eye, WMR, Pimax and Index all NATIVE to Steam due to Valve. Rift and RiftS supported with a wrapper due to Valve.

On the flip side -

Vive, Vive Pro,Vive Pro Eye, WMR, Pimax and Index NOT supported by Oculus at all. A single guy made an unofficial hack (Revive) without Oculus association or permission to make these headsets work with Oculus games.

Now it’s up to members here to make their own mind up wether a company doing EVERYTHING to make headsets compatible are the bad guys or the company doing NOTHING but support their own headset are the good guys.

All the current HMDs can access the currently available stores. I view Revive in the same way as a xinput. Oculus unblocked revive some time ago, so I don't think its fair to call it a walled store.

I`m still surprised they havnt just opened the doors like Viveport.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oculus unblocked revive some time ago, so I don't think its fair to call it a walled store.

That’s like saying because the Chinese police allow the rioters free passage they are then supporters of said rioters.

Oculus were forced to reverse their blocks because Revive bypassed Oculus DRM checks. It’s well documented.

Oculus have never officially supported Revive apart from fixing a problem with the Vive mic when playing Dead and Buried.

Jason Rubins
“Just this week I played Dead and Buried with Vive users. I could tell they were Vive users,” Rubin said. According to him, he knew they were Vive users because their in game voice chat was being distorted by the “hacks they were using.” Rather than condemning these actions, Rubin claims that, “we have done nothing to stop this right now and in fact members of the team in Menlo Park are working now to fix the mic problem.“

Last edited:
All the current HMDs can access the currently available stores. I view Revive in the same way as a xinput. Oculus unblocked revive some time ago, so I don't think its fair to call it a walled store.
Is this true? Has MS opened their doors to oculus and steamVR HMDs yet? If so I will check out that halo be experience but last I looked that was windows MR only

Personally I think MS are just waiting for OpenXR. Imagine any headset working on the next XBOX like any TV or Wheel. It wound trump Sony’s PSVR big style and might force them to do the same.

That’s like saying because the Chinese police allow the rioters free passage they are then supporters of said rioters.

Oculus were forced to reverse their blocks because Revive bypassed Oculus DRM checks. It’s well documented.

Good grief that's a bit melodramatic. The point is anyone can and does use the Oculus store. Its not some evil walled off entity.

these conversations remind me of this -

It used to appear every month for me although today is the first time I've seen it in a while so I was wondering if they've reduced the frequency or there was some other reason. I used to run Steam on a low power 24/7 server as I had a slow connection so it would download games and updates overnight then I could sync them to my power hungry gaming desktop but this meant the hardware survey always ran on the server which meant it showed I was gaming on a low power dual core AMD, 1GB ram, integrated graphics and no monitor.

I noticed when the hardware survey ran today it put me down as none for VR which I guess was because the headset wasn't powered up and connected but seems a bit daft given it was just a few hours ago I was playing a VR game on the system and have been doing so regularly since I bought it.

I noticed when the hardware survey ran today it put me down as none for VR which I guess was because the headset wasn't powered up and connected but seems a bit daft given it was just a few hours ago I was playing a VR game on the system and have been doing so regularly since I bought it.
So, I wonder if the survey only notices VR if you have it powered up at the time of using it.
It could easy see Steam VR when not in use, but possibly not none Steam VR so easily.

So, I wonder if the survey only notices VR if you have it powered up at the time of using it.
It could easy see Steam VR when not in use, but possibly not none Steam VR so easily.
For the Vive at least, the headset must be plugged in and powered up (i.e. it must appear as an active USB device in Windows). When I do the survey I always notice it doesn’t detect my headset until I power it up and refresh the survey hardware scan.

For the Vive at least, the headset must be plugged in and powered up (i.e. it must appear as an active USB device in Windows). When I do the survey I always notice it doesn’t detect my headset until I power it up and refresh the survey hardware scan.
with that in mind, it is possible there are more VR users than the just over 1% of steam users may be showing...... it is not that much of a stretch that a number of people doing the survey do not think to power up their vive or activate their rift.
Personally i do not give 2 hoots about the split of headset brands in that survey... what i want to see is the percentage of steam users with a hmd of any flavour increasing.

with that in mind, it is possible there are more VR users than the just over 1% of steam users may be showing...... it is not that much of a stretch that a number of people doing the survey do not think to power up their vive or activate their rift.
I’ve said this in the past, especially for the Vive which requires a separate power supply to be on (I normally leave my Vive unpowered unless I intend to use it). Does the Rift have an explicit on/off switch, or is it always showing as available as a USB device?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom