VR Gaming Chat

Arkham VR has Index support :clap:

Since I'm giving up on wireless for my Index in the near future I'm gonna be using this to help avoid tangling my overhead cable...

Its unobtrusive and very handy!

Got back into The Gallery Ep 2 last night. Was in the catacombs and found the floating dead bodies really unsettling. I trust that this game won't throw any jump scares at me but it had my stress levels high and my fight / flight instinct was swinging heavily toward Get the F:censored:k Out of There!

I then tried the Arkham VR update. Unfortunately my save game seems to have wiped so I had to start from fresh and witness the excellent but almost just as unsettling murder of Bruce's parents.

Sometimes VR is too immersive and I'm a pussy cat. I then played some relaxing basketball and bowling in a bright and colourful Rec Room while kids swore about my mum :D

The Arkham VR Index update is mostly good. Really enjoyed Batman's reflection now I am almost unlimited in the gestures I can perform and I can pick my nose through the cowl. Unfortunately you still have to give the Index a squeeze to return a gadget to your utility belt. You can simply drop most other things. Also, the batarang throwing felt weird. It still kinda aims for you like it did with the wands. That aside though, its an excellent update and I'm looking forward to playing through the short story again.

Got back into The Gallery Ep 2 last night. Was in the catacombs and found the floating dead bodies really unsettling. I trust that this game won't throw any jump scares at me but it had my stress levels high and my fight / flight instinct was swinging heavily toward Get the F:censored:k Out of There!
lol last night i went back to hellblade and I was getting exactly the same vibe.

there are corpses hanging on ropes as well as lying around. For the 1st hr or so I was convinced at one point one would move, or i would turn around and there would be one behind me. Had this happened i think i would have soiled myself ;)

my hope is that this *wont* happen ;)

Latest Steam Hardware Survey for September.

52848521-BB1B-4898-9A92-64D384B21E5F.jpeg

Index up 60% from 3% - 5% still without a worldwide release.
RiftS up 30% from 10% -13%.

The biggest loser seems to be WMR. With no next gen HMD, WMR customers seem to be jumping to RiftS.

The next two months will see Cosmos join the party.

Last edited:
Is that the first time Oculus exceeded 50%?

That green 0.66% is for the DK2 right? You just cut that bit off the picture. That makes 50.07% by my (Windows calculator based) calculations.

Will the Quest start appearing if it can be connected to a PC?

It's still, in my opinion, only representative of trends rather than any indication of market share.

You can’t include DK2 as it’s not supported by Oculus, it’s not supported by Touch. It’s used by who? Devs who can’t afford Rift or RiftS? It’s very strange.

You can’t include DK2 as it’s not supported by Oculus, it’s not supported by Touch. It’s used by who? Devs who can’t afford Rift or RiftS? It’s very strange.
Probably a smattering of people still using it for sims perhaps?

In your opinion the DK2 can't be included, but according to the image (which you strangely edited) it can.

And, as I use my CV1 mainly for sims, what's the difference?

If people are using it, having VR experiences in it and have it connected to the PC when the survey runs and it's included in the results, then surely it can be, and indeed is, included?

Complete image below.

surv.jpg

Soooooo even without the DK1 Oculus accounts for 49.41% against everything else together is still just behind at 45.63%. So yea go Oculus.
Are we expecting some magic sales spike when Cosmos hits the shelves? I`m not expecting to see anything, preorders are non existent according to my sources. I would expect a few sales from people who don't want to pay the full fat price of the Index. But going on HTCs customer service reputation I gather that has put a lot of people off.

If the Index isn't available in all regions yet I would of thought those determined to get one would of used a redirection shopping service.

Winner this month as ever is Steam, closely followed by Oculus

I'm expecting the Cosmos to gather a similar share to the Vive Pro. I've no intention of buying one but still think it's a welcome addition to the market sitting nicely between the basic-boring-budget ROFL-Sidelined / Quest and the fancy-prancy-120 fps-dancy Knucklehead.

Oh, and the Cosmos is wireless! We must not forget about tethered VR wireless!

Soooooo even without the DK1 Oculus accounts for 49.41% against everything else together is still just behind at 45.63%. So yea go Oculus.
Are we expecting some magic sales spike when Cosmos hits the shelves? I`m not expecting to see anything, preorders are non existent according to my sources. I would expect a few sales from people who don't want to pay the full fat price of the Index. But going on HTCs customer service reputation I gather that has put a lot of people off.

If the Index isn't available in all regions yet I would of thought those determined to get one would of used a redirection shopping service.

Winner this month as ever is Steam, closely followed by Oculus

The reality is RiftS is available in all countries across the world. In all stores including the biggest - Amazon.

Index by comparison is available only in the US and UK. And only available on Steam. For Index to take 5% in two months is incredible v RifS 13% which is over half the price with unrestricted sales.

But when all things are even and we see the first Index price cut Index will be well placed to take a large portion of the market. They could knock £100 of the price of the base stations alone.

RiftS on the other hand will come under fire from Quest once the link cable is released.

And just as a reminder we still don’t see all those Pimax HMDs on the survey which would offset all those DK units. Just saying.

All valid points but this is the results at this moment in time (based on participation obviously)

I didn't include the DK % and Oculus is still a larger %. Lets be honest if Oculus is out accounting for a larger percentage than all the other HMDs available on another store front, then we know its owning the crap out of the real marketshare.
I wonder if the tethered Quest users will show on the steam stats?
Are there enough Pimax HMDs in use to show up?

Last edited by a moderator:
The reality is RiftS is available in all countries across the world. In all stores including the biggest - Amazon.

Index by comparison is available only in the US and UK. And only available on Steam. For Index to take 5% in two months is incredible v RifS 13% which is over half the price with unrestricted sales.

But when all things are even and we see the first Index price cut Index will be well placed to take a large portion of the market. They could knock £100 of the price of the base stations alone.

RiftS on the other hand will come under fire from Quest once the link cable is released.

And just as a reminder we still don’t see all those Pimax HMDs on the survey which would offset all those DK units. Just saying.
Rift S won't come under fire from quest because they are not competing. They are both oculus products .

Hey guys, first post here.. I just went all out on my gaming laptop and trying to decide on my VR headset but I cant decide between the Vive Cosmos or the Index. I know this has probably been discussed already but whats the consensus?

Well if you are using a laptop and want portability I would say out of the two the Cosmos. As all it doesn't require external sensors to work. What spec laptop are you getting?

You can run anything on that beast, in which case I would Suggest trying some out and see what works for you.

If monies no object and you want a package with no compromise go for the Index. You wont regret it.

Correct, I could afford either. So cost and portability aren’t an issue. Want the best vr experience for the money. So one vote for Index. Great thanks!

The other reality is that not all Oculus users use Steam either (or game).
Ok, most will, but there is no way of easily knowing the percentage of users which are not included in the survey.

@frankieo11 what we're getting at is the Index requires two lighthouses connected to the mains (though they can be made to work with battery packs) whereas the Cosmos has onboard cameras so needs no external sensors. Hence, the Cosmos could be considered more portable if you intend on using it in many different rooms.

The biggest differential is price really. You'll get a little more FOV, more FPS, better controllers and (subjectively) superior audio with the Index but you'll pay more for it. The biggest win for the Cosmos is it will support a wireless adapter straight out the gates, but that likely drives it more expensive than the Index.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom