VR Gaming Chat.

aoaaron

I wonder how many people are pausing to see just how good the usb tether is for quest?

i am starting to take an interest now a modder has managed to get the quest screen outputting at 90hz.
I am.

A lighter cable is huge for me as I hate having a thick weighty cable and I don’t want to litter my room with pulleys

ArmitageShanks

And the latest Steam hardware survey results are in...

Facebook have dropped below their 50% of market dominance and are DOOMED!!!

The Valve Index's market share has also fallen for the first time in its existence and its DOOMED!!!

WMR, and by extension the HP Reverb, is DOOMED!!!

So who is the winner with all these losers? The HTC Vive of course! Its market share is accelerating after everyone who moved on to newer and shinier headsets realises their errors and are flooding back in droves! The HTC Vive is the unsung saviour of VR - FACT!
Oh nooos! :eek:
It's very odd. Maybe it's because people are returning faulty units, or returning Rifts and getting Quests? Or perhaps the survey is just borked...

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
dont forget it is just a percentage of total users..... whilst i want to see onwards and upwards WRT people using VR on PC (honestly the exact brand of hmd does not interest me, i just want more pc VR users)

but a drop in percentages does not necessarily mean drop in absolute numbers.

that said..... sure, i am a bit dissapointed with those numbers

ArmitageShanks

but a drop in percentages does not necessarily mean drop in absolute numbers.
If absolute numbers are static or increasing, I'd find it hard to believe that the Vive/Vive Pro percentage is increasing at this point (sales for those must surely be down to a trickle). It's more likely that overall attached/active VR units are decreasing (or not being detected) which is skewing the percentages.

huxley

Well the index losing a little ground cant be pleasing for Steam. But as we all know these aren't gospel, just a ballpark figure of those who took part.

Nivek TT

Distinguished Member
Apparently the percentage of Steam users with a VR headset fell a little too... so those losses are actual losses! o_O

Unless the total number of Steam users increased a lot more than the Steam users with VR headsets... My brain hurts :confused:

thesnowdog

And the latest Steam hardware survey results are in...

Facebook have dropped below their 50% of market dominance and are DOOMED!!!

The Valve Index's market share has also fallen for the first time in its existence and its DOOMED!!!

WMR, and by extension the HP Reverb, is DOOMED!!!

So who is the winner with all these losers? The HTC Vive of course! Its market share is accelerating after everyone who moved on to newer and shinier headsets realises their errors and are flooding back in droves! The HTC Vive is the unsung saviour of VR - FACT!
It's almost as if he wasn't banned lololol :laugh: :rotfl:

huxley

New Boneworks trailer/gameplay. Release date is confirmed as 10/12/2019.
Still no sign of the mystery Steam game.

thesnowdog

We won't see the first of those Valve games until 2042 at least. And then after that we'll only see one more being released around 2057. Cos those ******s can't count up to three :laugh: :rotfl: :D

huxley

We won't see the first of those Valve games until 2042 at least. And then after that we'll only see one more being released around 2057. Cos those ******s can't count up to three :laugh: :rotfl: :D
They have repeatedly said that they are releasing a AAA VR game before the end of the year. Is there any actual evidence of anything coming out? At the moment I`m at best expecting a remake of the Halflife VR2 game and at worst Valve to announce they have acquired the Boneworks dev and slap their name on it.

huxley

Work colleague has confirmed Stormland doesn't work with ReVive at present as it uses a custom code instead of the Oculus API for some components.

Presuming Ed

Saw enough in the Stormland promo video to buy it. Hopefully will get a chance to play today.

I like the idea of stealth. I'm not so keen on the big action high tempo games.

Presuming Ed

Spent a few hours in Stormland now and am really quite enjoying it.

I like the low tempo approach. I like progressing at my own pace and having the freedom to look around, explore. The extra incentives of collecting those whatever-they-are-things helps with that.

I like the climbing physics. I've thoroughly enjoyed grappling my way up cliff faces to high up, then looking down, past my dangling feet, all the way to the ground.

The world they've created is interesting and there's lots to see.

And the mystery surrounding the game plot has me hooked too.

Don't often buy games, but I'm enjoying this one.

aoaaron

Yeah meanwhile valve index users are trying to revive stormland and RMaing their controllers

Presuming Ed

I dunno, I hope that's not a gloat. The controllers I have no real opinion on as I don't know much about it.

But if someone wants to play a game - one that is actually really good - and can't, despite spending all that money on a headset, no matter what headset it is, I feel for them.

If a new racing game was launched and I couldn't play it on my headset, I'd be livid.

I hope, longer term, an independent but supported platform emerges that ensures that anyone can buy a VR game, from whatever store, and be assured of a quality experience with it.

But in the mean time I'm certainly not going to be enjoying the fact that some who may want to play a certain game are unable to.

aoaaron

I dunno, I hope that's not a gloat. The controllers I have no real opinion on as I don't know much about it.

But if someone wants to play a game - one that is actually really good - and can't, despite spending all that money on a headset, no matter what headset it is, I feel for them.

If a new racing game was launched and I couldn't play it on my headset, I'd be livid.

I hope, longer term, an independent but supported platform emerges that ensures that anyone can buy a VR game, from whatever store, and be assured of a quality experience with it.

But in the mean time I'm certainly not going to be enjoying the fact that some who may want to play a certain game are unable to.
It’s more a dig at how dissapointed I am in valve.

Presuming Ed

It’s more a dig at how dissapointed I am in valve.
Well, yeah. We all have our opinions on who's trying to manipulate the market, and who would stand to benefit if only Oculus owners could buy Oculus games.

Some argue that Oculus deliberately lock their own eco-system to their own PCVR headsets in order to increase sales of their own PCVR headsets and increase market share. But the same people argue, when Oculus release new PCVR headsets, that they're not interested in PCVR and have abandoned the platform.

Surely both can't 'be true?

And, like with any good investigation, often the first place to look when trying to investigate the perp is who would benefit more?

Do Oculus really benefit from only being able to sell games to half the market?

Or do Steam benefit because SteamVR owners can only buy games on the Steam platform, while r other headset owners can buy games on the Steam platform too, thus taking revenue away from competitors?

I don't know. But it's easy to work out who loses the most through it all. The consumer.

aoaaron

Well, yeah. We all have our opinions on who's trying to manipulate the market, and who would stand to benefit if only Oculus owners could buy Oculus games.

Some argue that Oculus deliberately lock their own eco-system to their own PCVR headsets in order to increase sales of their own PCVR headsets and increase market share. But the same people argue, when Oculus release new PCVR headsets, that they're not interested in PCVR and have abandoned the platform.

Surely both can't 'be true?

And, like with any good investigation, often the first place to look when trying to investigate the perp is who would benefit more?

Do Oculus really benefit from only being able to sell games to half the market?

Or do Steam benefit because SteamVR owners can only buy games on the Steam platform, while r other headset owners can buy games on the Steam platform too, thus taking revenue away from competitors?

I don't know. But it's easy to work out who loses the most through it all. The consumer.

Not getting into this pathetic oculus vs valve conspiracy theory crap, sorry.

The point I was highlighting was valves short comings.

Fact remains valve can’t even treat their hardware consumers with a respectful rma process. Valve index reddit shows so many users waiting a month or two for replacements.

That’s ignoring their lack of any content.

aoaaron

There are rumblings about an announcement from Valve on Wednesday. The title "Half-life: Alyx" has bubbled up.

Might all be nonsense though.
I hope not man!

Stormland's length personally really dissapointed me. A nice 20 hour native Valve game will be amazing!

ArmitageShanks

Stormlands not being on Steam means it won't be getting my money. I'm sure Facebook has plenty of cash to make up the deficit though. In the meantime, I've got plenty of other enjoyable titles to keep me occupied.