VR Gaming Chat.

huxley

wow You won’t be able to look at something without being profiled.
I don’t for a minute consider this nonintrusive

thesnowdog

Depends on how developers use it and how these ads look. I'm considering having my second game set in a modern day urban setting so having advertising hoardings in a few places here and there might improve immersion.

Atmos

Depends on how developers use it and how these ads look. I'm considering having my second game set in a modern day urban setting so having advertising hoardings in a few places here and there might improve immersion.
Did Oculus approve your first game yet?

thesnowdog

Did Oculus approve your first game yet?
Nope, I've not come anywhere near finishing it yet so haven't submitted anything.

Like I've said before I have a bad habit of starting projects and not finishing them so this game will probably get added to a very long list of unfinished projects 😂

I probably won't be able to do what I want to do with my second game because I don't own the IP, so I may have to switch to a another idea if I don't get permission to use it. Having the proceeds going to charity should help matters hopefully though.

If I don't get the go ahead then I'm going to make a good old fashioned dungeon crawler I think.

thesnowdog

Nowhere near ready for testing yet. My depression and anxiety makes it difficult for me to work on it. I can go months at a time not being able to work on anything then have an hour here and there where I can get things done. :(

huxley

Even if its a bit rough around the edges, some encouraging feedback can go a long way.
I like the idea of fake adds in a game, see the cyberpunk trailer.

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member

About our ads

You may also like
wow You won’t be able to look at something without being profiled.
I don’t for a minute consider this nonintrusive
In principle I am not against non intrusive adds when done properly in the right game. But that example image is anything but!

Advertising done right in games would be billboards in a football or racing game, or up in a city in a game like GTA, or real world logos put on real world gear to on a t-shirt ...... Stuff that I see in real like.

However that example advert looks neither in keeping with the type of game it is shown in AND it's not even an attempt to built it into a game asset it's just Rubbish.
Don't just think this will be VR tho if this kind of crap flies it will be in everything. In F2P perhaps it is acceptable but in a game which is paid for...... No thanks. You won't even be able to block them either given how games are a service now and won't often work without a connection

huxley

Good point GTA is a great example of parody and injects humour. If VR gaming or gaming in general ends up with the same level as adds as the web, then a game add blocker would be available at some point. I was looking at a PiHole hardware add blocker for my home for a more robust solution. All my PCs have add blockers installed and yes I block adds on this very site and have done for a couple of years as the pages are a crammed mess. Maybe a sub for an add free version. and gaming could have free to play with adds and paid for no adds?

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Indeed even tho I used GTA as a good example for real world adds as it would be more immersive I would equally miss the parody brands like their premium German beer or their internet cafe company :).
However in games like GTA I imagine you would still have to have parody companies as well as real. For instance British telecom did not see the funny side pack in the PS2 era where you had to do a... Kidnapping. I think, or was it an armed robbery? And we did it in a BT van complete with logo. (It was a while ago details may be off but the point stands... Real world companies probably would not like to be associated with even fictional crime in a game, so in a mission where you sell drugs to kids out of an icream van you probably wouldn't have Walls or hagendaas plastered on the side ;)

Presuming Ed

The problem I always had with Project CARS was it presented itself as, and tried to be, sim, but was plainly arcade.

If this title actually places itself more towards arcade then I think I'll be a lot more interested.

If it's trying to be Project Gotham / Forza Horizon more than it's trying to be rFactor2 then I'm totally up for it.

huxley

The key thing for me with Project Cars is that it’s pick up and play. With the likes of asseto corsa you get taken out of the immersion with a keyboard etc. Less faff = more zooooooom!

Atmos

I’m going to buy this along with Squadrons. Just for the 12k textures lol. Monaco is going to look awesome.

Ono

Been taking a break from Alyx, and got stuck into Battlezone again. I really forgot how good this game is in VR, especially now that it supports mouse and keyboard rather than just a treacherous gamepad.

It's still pretty expensive after all these years though (£30 on Steam?!), and playing solo on the randomly-generated campaigns (even a "short" one) can take several hours, but it does at least save where you left off.
Battlezone on rare sale on Steam at £7.49.

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Battlezone on rare sale on Steam at £7.49.
battlezone is decent. i am tempted with mages tale at 6 quid odd.
borderlands VR has a nice discount. that could have been one of the best games in VR todate.but no MP? that killed it for me. Borderlands withoit VR is like a bacon buttie.without brown sauce......

actually.i would still eat a bacon buttie without brown sauce.
for anyone who is happy playing solo however its still a lot of game for your £

Last edited:

KingD

Just started playing Trover Saves the Universe, pleasantly surprised, plays like a nice colourful 3d platformer with Rick & Morty style humour (and actors) cost me about £6 on sale a while back

huxley

Wow

With this and the Apple AR rumours mainstream consumer adoption has to be in the hands of Facebook and Apple.

thesnowdog

Wow
Beat me to it!

Facebook/Oculus are so far ahead of everyone else when it comes to R&D that it's ridiculous, both in terms of hardware and software.

I think we'll have news of hand tracking for the Rift S at Oculus Connect 7 this year too, although that doesn't interest me at all personally.

Nivek TT

Distinguished Member
Hand tracking for Rift S!!! That is so far ahead of everyone else that it's ridiculous!!! No-one else could ever do that but Facebook!!!

Atmos

Beat me to it!

Facebook/Oculus are so far ahead of everyone else when it comes to R&D that it's ridiculous, both in terms of hardware and software.

I think we'll have news of hand tracking for the Rift S at Oculus Connect 7 this year too, although that doesn't interest me at all personally.
Pimax will have Hand tracking and Eye tracking before the Rift S it's ridiculous. Yes they actually announced it with real hardware. DFR coming to Pimax pretty soon too it ridiculous. 4k per eye ridiculuous. Even..........wait for it.....................over ear headphones!!! Its ridiculous.

Oculus are so far ahead LMAO.

Atmos

Valve with their best selling most highly rated VR game of all time - its ridiculous. Oculus are so far ahead with their Beat Saber buy outs.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX 4K OLED TV Review: The best TV of 2020?

Trending threads

Latest News

TV licence fee now applies to over 75s from 1st Aug
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
New H.266 video codec promises 50 percent data saving
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Toshiba launches UL20 4K HDR TVs from £299
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG GX soundbar launches in UK