Reaction score
oculus rift
with touch motion controllers and 2nd sensor
7 software titles
xbox wireless pad and wireless adapter

£399 for next 6 weeks

OCULUS Rift & Touch Bundle

or direct from oculus

Anyone who now claims the price of entry for VR is too high imo are just not realistic.

lol how did i know someone - and i was 75% sure it would be you (25% on Atmos :p ) would somehow spin this as being a negative.
I am guessing but given palmer lucky was expecting the hmd to launch at $350, i am wondering if oculus saw the price of the competition and thought screw it, lets hike the price as we do not need to sell super cheap, let the VR fanboys (like myself) buy in because they are daft enough to pay what ever it takes

and then cut the price there after.

that said i am not bitter..... i expect hardware to come down in price - tho i admit the full rift / touch package has come down a little more than i expected. its brilliant news tho imo for those wanting a grade A VR experience but could not justify the £600 of the rift or £700 of the vive.

Interesting, I was waiting for gen 2, so I'm wondering if this means it's coming soon and they are getting rid of current stock?

I only really want it for racing sims not interested in room scale stuff and my only experience of VR was on the Air/Galactica ride at Alton Towers which I could easily see the pixels and had light glare/streaks putting me off somewhat.

I didn't spin it, Ars Technica did ;)

I don't see this as Facebook dumping stock more clawing at market share.

It's a great price and anyone with a PC sporting a GTX960+ (that cannot afford a Vive) should be buying this!

With new headstraps and controllers the Vive is getting more expensive as time goes on.

Really surprised Facebook are still including the Xbox gamepad.

I didn't spin it, Ars Technica did ;)

lol yeah just pulling your leg!.

(technically tho its not just for those who cant afford a vive... it was a tough decision for me but i paid pretty much exactly the same as i would have paid for a vive, but have never regretted the decision.)

chances are i would not have regretted a vive either mind you. its like when i buy a TV.
i spend some time weighing up which to get but at the end of the day, i do not worry once i have made my purchase if i really should have gone samsung instead of sony or LG for instance.

they all do pretty much the same thing - more so now than ever before.

as for the xbox pad...... i am too but that said, apparently according to oculus they had a really good deal going with MS and got them for such a good price it doesnt make that much difference to the bottom line.

imo its about time that the version without touch was pulled from sale, its just fragmenting the user base for no good reason

Last edited:
And I was 75% sure you'd get all 'sensitive' about said spin :p

I do hope this puts some pressure on HTC / Valve, the Vive price should come down. Hopefully the LG HMD adds to this pressure.

HTC / Valve are making improvements, which is a good thing, such as slimmer cable, reduced weight HMD, deluxe audio strap, wireless links, trackers, knuckle controllers, etc. (Crikey, quite a list!) but what annoys me is in most cases these remain optional accessories. The Deluxe Audio Strap and the Knuckles controllers should come in the box and the elasticated Velcro and the wands be abandoned. That would go some way to justifying the hold in price.

If you wanted the top-flight VR experience in the near future, which is gonna be the Vive + Deluxe Audio Strap + Knuckles, you're not gonna get much change from a grand! And that's without a wireless link and a couple of trackers.

Of course most of the accessories I've mentioned are not yet available, so this may be HTC's plan.

And while its me ranting, as an early adopter I get screwed over whatever.

This Rift price is a great thing for VR, and should hopefully encourage more of those who are curious but not quite so enthusiastic as some of us here... so long as you have enough USB ports :rotfl:

Do worry a little that Facebook dig deep into the vault, take a big hit, but drive other VR competitors out of the market. That may appear good for consumers but only in the very short term.

Last edited:
That's an amazing price!! Considering how much better than PSVR this is if you've got the PC to run it

And I was 75% sure you'd get all 'sensitive' about said spin :p

only 75%? you should have more faith in me :D

as for a vive price cut... i suspect they will need to do something, but, from what i read, whilst it is technically a superior tracking system, its also apparently pretty expensive.

the new 2nd generation lighthouse may help but ultimately the constellation is simply a cheaper system. (the cost of touch seems to prove it, £99 for 2 controllers AND a sensor and i cant imagine they are losing money).... compare that to the price of the wands - iirc £110 EACH

And then replacement light house units - again from memory these are about £100 each are they not?.

not trying to come accross all fanboy.. as i said, imo its a nicer solution ideally, but imo it may mean there is less fat to cut from the price of the vive.

tinfoil hat time... there is another possibility i suppose. i dont buy it myself and have not even seen it speculated so its just shooting the breeze.

but hypothetically, if oculus thought there was a chance zenimax would be able to stop oculus selling hmds (is that case still on going?) they may want to get rid of their surplus stock in advance?

I have both Vive and Rift. No way Vive is now worth £350 more. Didn't think it was worth anymore after the touch controllers came out. £399 is a price that any respectable PC gamer should be trying to pick this up now. They could even resell the xbox one controller and wireless adpater and get another £50 off

Im gutted, spent £600 like 3 weeks ago and now this happens! If I could be bothered, Id be returning and rebuying at the cheaper price

Bargain for anybody on the fence mind.

This makes me nervous as others have said a CV2 maybe in the pipe line. I was thinking bout having a spare for guests

Heads up Amigos
its available on Amazon for that price too

If it was the Zenimax case, it's not about getting rid of stock it's about getting the Rift into as many hands as possible and keeping the Oculus store alive!

This is a huge discount and not something you just 'do' without good reason.

No way the wands and lighthouses are as expensive to produce as HTC's accessory prices would suggest. That's just HTC fleecing those outside of warranty. It will be telling to see what the Knuckles release for when sold as an optional upgrade.

This makes me nervous as others have said a CV2 maybe in the pipe line. I was thinking bout having a spare for guests

Heads up Amigos
its available on Amazon for that price too
The last I saw was a new iteration was going to be planned for sometime around 2019 so theres still life in the CV1 yet. Even if/when a new headset arrives, Id imavine the CV1 will still be usable.. and hopefully get some sort of discount on a new one.

If a new headset was releasing say in the next year, Id imagine it would be to release a wireless product, id imagine visual upgrades are going to take some serious R&D

If it was the Zenimax case, it's not about getting rid of stock it's about getting the Rift into as many hands as possible and keeping the Oculus store alive!

this makes sense too.. but then, IF you choose to believe that it is all down on oculus for not supporting the vive on their store and nothing to do with valve / htc making it difficult...

then the 1 sure fire way of keeping their store alive would be to officially open the store to vive users.

This is a fantastic price. I'm almost tempted to buy another one just as a spare. Only trouble is, I'd end up building, or buying, a 2nd PC for it. And then things just get out of hand :laugh:. If anyone is on the fence though, now's the time. I think CV2 is a good way off, and it would be a shame to miss all of the fun endlessly waiting for the next phase. It's worth bagging just for Elite and IL2. I'm in heaven with mine at the mo' :)

I will only get an HMD mk II for built in wireless, eye tracking and foveated rendering for a significant boost in screen quality while managing the PC hardware requirements. I think very late 2018 / early 2019 a good bet. Especially while every manufacturer seems more interested in stand alone mobile HMDs.

400 quid for 12+ months of VR is very reasonable.

For me, a v2 of any hmd would need to provide boosted visuals, I honestly dont mind the wire as I dont have a massive playspace.

i dunno if you saw the new samsung screens developed for VR.?

they did a side by side comparison with a current gen screen (dunno if vive or rift) and their new screen.... it was night and day how much better the new screen was.

if that makes it into a new HMD in 12 - 18 months with the tracking quality of the rift or vive, i will be happy... better yet if they add another 10 degrees to the FOV.

if i can find it i will stick the link in later.

edit

Samsung's New VR Display Has Nearly 3.5x More Pixels Than Rift & Vive – Road to VR

I always thought 2 X 4k screens running at 90Hz was a fantasy in the short term, just because of GPU and bandwidth limitations. But eye tracking and foveated rendering has me convinced it would work. The focal sweet spot is surprisingly small. Try focusing on two fingers simultaneously as you move them apart, they don't get far before you're looking at one or the other. So a relatively small focal sweet spot moving around a larger high-res screen, outside the focal sweet spot being rendered at a much lower res.

All those extra pixels could offer an increased FOV as well as visual clarity too.

I don't know what to do, I was really waiting on gen 2 with 4K screens and foveated rendering but this price has me so tempted.

I think the ride I tried used Gear VR and I didn't think it was quite there yet, has anyone compared to two?

@Furnace Inferno supersampling offers a huge improvement. The low Res and SDE really don't bother me. I'm convinced gen 2 is over a year away. If it was me, I'd be buying a Rift for £400.

They're available to demo everywhere these days. I'm sure I recall seeing a Rift to try in my local John Lewis recently. Can you give one a try?

A lower priced turd is still turd.
Just sayin

come on...... really?
is this VR in general is turd (in which case I speak from experience that for most people this is simply not the case

or just the oculus rift is a turd? in which case..... same resolution, same quality screen (slight losses in contrast / FOV with gains in IQ due to less SDE) , 6DOF 360 degree tracking, light weight HMD, currently considered to have the best (mass produced) motion tracked controllers on the market and a phenomenal software bundle to boot.....

if you like the vive but think the rift is turd, then that sounds to me more like the play ground snes vs MD arguments to me..

whether you like the bigwigs at oculus is another matter but that has no impact on the quality of the product.

hell even Nivek TT is not as biased as that :p

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom