VPN changing TV channel

Snowsride

Standard Member
Reaction score
I use a VPN to watch UK TV abroad. I have used PureVPN and am now using NordVPN. I have used a laptop, Firestick, Android box and Android phone.

On the first use of the period e.g. first time today, I can activate the VPN and select and watch a channel e.g. BBC iPlayer but if I then change the app to, say, ITV Hub then that channel will not work. I then stop the VPN app and clear the cache and do the same for all other active apps. In the case of the Firestick and Android box I also turn off the power and re-boot. In all instances it takes multiple attempts to select the new channel - I get a message saying 'there's a problem connecting'. Eventually I can connect.

The VPN I use is on the device not on the router.

Why is it so difficult to change TV channels?

Virtually the same question was posted a couple of weeks ago

The network infrastructure doesn't "care" what application you are using (such as which TV player you are using) - as far as the network infrastructure is concerned, it's all just "traffic."

If you aren't getting a connection, then something is going wrong with the routing of that traffic and/or where it's being injected into the public Internet.

Without knowing the details of such, there's not much we can investigate and if it's an issue upstream of your devices (ie outside of your control) there's not much you can do about it - perhaps contact at the VPN provider if it turns out it's to do with their point of presence (POP) on the public Internet.

You could maybe try a few tracert's (traceroute on some platforms) and see where it's falling apart - but interpreting the results is not for the feint hearted.

I'd be inclined to run a tracert on your laptop when it's working, then run one again when it's not and compare the two. I'd also run all the TV apps at the same time and see if they work - there's no reason why you cannot run iPlayer and ITV player at the same time.

However, I don't have much optimism you'll get much help with this as what you are doing is trying to evade the sort of geo-locking put in place by the broadcasters precisely to stop you doing what you are doing.

Thanks.

I will try your suggestion re. running a tracert although whether I'll understand the results is doubtful!

I managed to connect to a different channel yesterday after changing the VPN server selection multiple times so I guess that's where the problem lies. I understand what I'm trying to do, by using a VPN, is to circumvent geo restrictions so I probably need to lower my expectations as to how simple it should be to achieve what I want.

I think I should end this discussion now, but I am going to post another thread about another issue!

Thanks again.

Regards

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom