Question VPN at router level?

Discussion in 'General Tech & Gadget Forums' started by Chrisj17, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Chrisj17

Chrisj17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi all,

Just a quick question probably pretty staight forward. I want to set up a VPN on my router but it slows all the speeds down from around 70mbps to 8mbps quite a drop.

So I’m wondering if I was to set up two routers a primary one set up normally and a secondary one set up with a vpn at router level.

I’m just wondering how would I go on about doing this. I’ve got the bt modem on the wall with 4 ports one of them is connect to our normal router now can I just plug another router into port 2 and it will work? Or would I have to set it up like an hour extender and plug Ethernet from the primary to the secondary router directly and change the ip of the second router and do it that way

Thanks for any help.

2. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,574
    What VPN are you using? The speeds for each one vary quite a bit - some have less effect on speeds and some can even improve it (overseas - depending on several factors).

Some VPN providers give instructions on setting it up on a router - usually you need a router that can run Open source VPN on a non- manufacturer flashed firmware such as DD-WRT or Tomato.

I use PIA who nowadays concentrate more on individual devices (up to 5 on one licence) having the VPN installed on each device. You can install it on the devices you want the option on, then once it starts (automatically if you set that) and connects you can manually disconnect and then reconnect anytime you may want to.

I don’t lose much speed for everyday servers and uses - but I don’t use it to the extent some may for torrents etc.

Just to confirm the speed checks are to the same servers doing the same tasks with a VPN on and off? The 70 isn’t a speed attained to a local server and the VPNs 8 to something overseas for example? As above I don’t see that kind of loss on a 25/10 connection - but I’m in Australia and I have no idea about your congestion issues in the UK.

3. Chrisj17

Chrisj17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I have an ASUS router running merlin FW which gives you the OPENVPN setup. Im with PIA Aswell with the app on the computer i dont lose much speed at all its just when i try to run it at router level my speeds dramtically drop.

I've managed to sort it now, i've got it set up all on one router with the VPN running and only IP's i assign will go through VPN and everything else will just go throught the normal way and i don't lose any speed apart from the IP's going throught the VPN. So no need for two routers now

Thanks for the reply.

4. S80_UK

S80_UK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Just a quick question if you don't mind... Is the feature to only use VPN for some IPs a feature of the Merlin f/w? I have an Asus AC68U which has OpenVPN as part of the regular f/w, but I am not aware of any way to make it available to selected devices.

5. Chrisj17

Chrisj17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Yes you basically have to set the device to have a static up and then run it through the vpn. Take a look at this video will explain it all.
    How-To: OpenVPN - selective Routing and...