1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VPL W400- Progressive?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Cliff, Jul 17, 2001.

1. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,727
    Calling all experts!

Is there any way for me to use the output from my Toshiba 5109 (progressive) and interface it with my Sony VPLW400. Is there any way the digital interface option could work? Or do I just sit tight until I can afford a new PJ

Cliff

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    I copied this off of the VPL-W400Q forum over at www.thebigpicturedvd.com

It's an American site, so I don't know the availability of the quoted accessories over here. However, take a look at the form yourself.

<< Because all of the progressive scan DVD players output 480p they will not work with the W400Q. The 400 will simply not sync to the 480p output frequency. The 400Q will sync to 1080i timings which means that DVD scaled to 540p (or 1080i) will work. You can get those via a computer or certain scalers like the new Princeton Graphics or the Crystal Image scaler. >>

3. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,727
    Thanks for that information.
    I guess the projector was designed before the prog scan format was made popular. I read a report somewhere in HT that the VPL400 was demonstrated using an HDTV signal and the results were very sharp. This indicated that some of the softness on a 525 line picture was introduced by the processing as the native res is basically VGA.

Cliff

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    Softness in a regular PAL or NTSC picture is simply down to lack of data, or lack of resolution. Both these formats were designed back in the days when TVs were lucky to go over 20". And, at that size, they look sharp.

It's a testament to the way in which the 400Q (and, better yet, the VW10HT) process video that they can give the impression of a fairly well-defined, sharp image.

HDTV is a much higher-definition format. Of course, we're not having any of that transatlantic stuff over here. We're going to let someone like Philips invent a different format for us (you know - like MPEG2 5.1 surround sound). Or not. Maybe we'll just stick with our low-res stuff, for good.