1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VPL-VW11HT - dead pixels, Sony's Policy?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by MarkHudds, Aug 9, 2002.

1. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all,

Just sent my 4 month old VPL-VW11HT back to Techtronics as its developed about 7 dead pixels (all open green ones!)

Couple of questions:-

Is it common for a LCD projector to 'develop' dead pixels; I originally thought they were more likely 'out of the box' ???

Does anyone know Sony UK's policy regarding 'allowable number of dead pixels' or if they are more inclined to replace units with bright green ones near the middle of the screen? Has anyone gone through this process with Sony and what was the outcome?

Thanks for any help!

Mark.

2. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It sounds a bit harsh but its best to talk to Sony and your dealer directly because after reading this post http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=160559 it seems some manufacturers dont care even if you spent £10,000 :eek: on your projector let alone £4000.

I would talk to your dealer first and if you get no joy speak to Sony tech support and try and speak to someone whos sympathetic to you. Let us know how you get on :)

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    AFAIK, it is very UNcommon for dead pixels to occur other than at the point of manufacture. I'd be very surprised (if you do indeed have 7 dead/bright green pixels, anywhere on the screen) if Sony won't repair or replace it under warranty.

I'd be equally UNsurprised, given that the problem wasn't evident when new or very soon after, if the problem isn't dead pixels, but dust particles in the optics.

4. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nigel do you think that dead pixels could occur if you did not follow the manual?, for example my manual on my projector states that you should clean the filter every 300 hours. Which is about every 10 months for me!.

5. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    I don't know enough about the technicalities to be sure, but my guess would be "no". AFAIK, dead pixels occur most often because of a microscopic dust particle or other contamination getting on to one of the transistors in the LSI that drives the panel during manufacture. These transistors may in very few cases fail during use. There may be other, similar places in the manufacturing process where similar contamination has similar effects. I guess, for example, that the individual LCD pixel is similarly affected as are its microscopic electrical connections. However, once manufactured, these things are, as I say, pretty reliable.

However, if the filter gets clogged, airflow through the unit will deteriorate and it will overheat. This may cause, for example, premature bulb failure, deformation of plastic components, fire hazard etc. If it is well protected, electronically, it will shut down if the internal temperature gets high.

6. HomeCinemaGuy

HomeCinemaGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the sony cineza and after 8 months 4 dead (green) pixels have arisen.

I havnt tried contacting sony or iiid (where I got it from) so I cant fully answer ur question.

Steve

7. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've seen dust in previous projectors, and these are definately dead pixels...

...strange that they've died after 4 months use ... (only 67 hours!)

8. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    It would be interesting to read:

a) how good Techtronics were at dealing with you/your machine
    b) what the problem was, exactly
    c) if Sony were involved, how they dealt with it....

Here's hoping you get the result you need.

9. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks, Nigel !!!

Update when I know anything...

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

I got my Sony VPLW-11HT two weeks ago and noticed one dead pixel on opening it, after 8 days it increased to 19!!!! I contacted the supplier and they said that Sony would replace it. Yesterday they picked up my old machine and i have another brand new one now. Set it up last night.....100% ok.

I used to work for Sony years ago and they are pretty good when it comes to replacing things. Don't quote me, but i think if you have more than 5 dead pixels they will replace it. Basically....the more the better if you get my drift

;)

11. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks ... that's encouraging news...

Can I ask who your supplier was and if you had any direct contact with Sony?

Cheers.

12. Pip_UK

Pip_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sent my 11HT (5 months old) back to Sony due to a green dust blob. Had to pay £70 to UPS (they were the only ones that would insure it).

Returned 2 days later with the original blob gone. Now there is another green and also a red blob. My 11HT went to Sony with a dropped pixel count of 3. Sony retuned it with a count of 15! One red one bang in the middle of the screen.

Contacted Sony who said to return it. I refused to pay another courier fee despite the return to base warranty. Sony have eventully agreed to pick the projector up tomorrow.

I find it a bit worrying when the Sony Service Centre responded by saying "Send it back and we will have another go!"

Pip

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got mine through AV-Sales ( They usually have banners on this website) I never had to deal with Sony at all, they got a courier out to me who picked mine up and dropped the new one off.:D

Good luck mate.

14. Pip_UK

Pip_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Received a call from Sony today.

Apparently the engineer accidentally knocked the optical block over and damaged it when he was dismantling my projector for inspection!

The service centre informed me that apart from the optical block, there is only the case, power board and external connections. So in theory I muct be getting a 95% new projector.

Moral of the story .... if you have dead pixels, send it back to Sony and request that the clumsy technician gives it the once over!

Pip :D

15. Cambo

Cambo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    Could someone kindly forward me the contact details of the Sony Service Center.
    I have had my PJ just over three years now and have not got all that many hours up on it. However, my VW11-HT has an annoying dust blob that developed when I changed the dust filter six months ago.
    As I am in the process of moving house (building new house) I will not be using the PJ for a period of time and thus would like the optics cleaned and the unit serviced.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Cameron

16. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I've got a 10HT, 4 years old, no dead pixels, and I've yet to clean its filter... oops :)