VPL-VW10ht / 11ht

ali

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, Im planning on purchasing my very first projector and am thinking of the VPL-VW11HT as this is the model available in UK.

From my searching the internet for the best deal, I notice that the VPL-VW10HT is the US available model, and am curious, is it the same projector with a different badge or is there any real difference between the two?

The 10HT is available in UK for £3890 whereas the 11HT costs more at £4225, I have also noticed the same difference in price on US websites where the 11HT costs more, is there a reason for this?

Appreciate all your help.

PS, can anyone recommend a place to buy from?

ProjectorCentral.com

The numbers of these two projectors does not denote US / UK models.
The projectors look identical from the outside but there are differences. The 11HT is the improved version of the 10HT with a better contrast ratio and the ability to drive the full 16/9 panel at its native resolution with a HCPC. The 11HT also has a longer bulb life and better filtering. The price of the 10HT is lower to shift the remaining stocks. Once they are all sold then only the 11HT will be available.

I think the 11HT price you quote is the lowest you will find.

Is there anywhere I can find a comparison of the two models if this is the case? Everything I have seen so far indicates that they are identical in every way.

Also, is it really worth shelling out more for the 11HT? www.avpeople.com are doing what sounds like a great deal on the 10HT with DTS speakers, a mount for the projector and a stewart screen for $6465.95.

I think if I went for the screen (don't really need the speakers) and the 11HT - The VW11HT is £3876 from Techtronics.com and I can pick up a decent screen (60x80in) for £460 for the Electrical one, or a manual one for £312 - works out £200 cheaper, but without the speakers or mount.

IS the package worth it afterall?

Appreciate the help!

Techtronics would be a better idea, as being based in the UK, your warranty is more useful (or do you spend a lot of time in the states?), and you can use the supplied power cable (240V, as opposed to US 110V) without a transformer (which would cost a bundle, as you would need a really decent one to drive a device such as a projector).

Besides, ceiling bracket can be had for £200 over here anyway. Even if the speakers were any use to you, the risk taken on the warranty alone would be enough to point you in the direction of a UK purchase.

Thanks nickane,

You are absolutely right, I figured if it was MUCH cheper out there, then it would be worth looking into - but the price really isnt that much better.

But I've been reading the forum on the HS1 and am thinking maybe thats a better value option to go for as the projector costs only £1700 and is pretty decent for a home cinema.

There is always a reason for the price differnce. Sony don't spend money building different projectors for no reason.

I have to say Roland makes an important point. So many people have said the VW11 just doesn't offer enough advancements from the VW10, and that the HS1 is much better value. Admittedly, I've only seen the HS1 in action (and only briefly) and all those who have decided on the HS1 have done comparisons, but although the colours and black level may not be significantly better on the VW11, there's a lot to be said for the WXGA panel, the wider array of inputs and little mention has been made of the scaling technologies incorporated (surely Sony hasn't used the same for each?).

Obviously its all down to personal opinion, and there are a lot of satisfied HS1 users on this forum and elsewhere, but the VW11 seems underated (he says, having already admitted to never seeing it in action :blush: )

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom