1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VPL-HS1- got one

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mystex, Dec 23, 2001.

1. mystex

mystex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well after much deliberating I've finally gone for the HS1 based on a number of factors but mostly because of the price(1699inc). I've only ever had a demo of one other projector (SimHT200) and I have to say there is not alot in it and is certainly not worth the extra £3500. I'm very impressed with the colour and contrast levels of the HS1, I'm projecting onto an 8ft electric screen from direkt2u.co.uk. The seating is positioned about 10 foot from the screen and in my opinion its breathtaking. As for the so called shortfalls of LCD projectors, the chicken wire and screen door effect is there but only if you sit too near the screen, it really is not a problem if you sit 7-8 foot away. Also the black level is fine if you ask me. So all in all I'm a very happy turkey and thats saying something for this time of year! HAPPY XMAS to everyone and thanks for reading...

2. Kevin Harris

Kevin Harris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mystex,

Also got a VPL HS1 and I echo your points.

Very Happy with the Sony and the bonus is the cheap lamps.

1 sore point has to be the cost of the optional cables for PC and Component connections £85 ea :(

I recomend anyone looking for a projector to give it a go and dont pay anymore than £1700

Merry Xmas to all

Kev.

3. The Boogerman

The Boogerman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So where would you recommend buying from? Best price I've found so far is £1760 (techronics.com)

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
  5. Kevin Harris

Kevin Harris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. Kevin Harris

Kevin Harris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. mystex

mystex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've been looking into the cost of replacement bulbs (even though I've only used the projector for 20 odd hours!) and I've seen that you can get them from America for $175 which is about £125 I think. Not bad for 2000 hours work.

8. Kevin Harris

Kevin Harris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The place I bought mine was saying £140-150 for a new lamp I am ok with that.

On another note:

The free 60" screen has found a nice location in my loft, I am projecting onto my Living room wall and am very happy with the image, but I hear that with an LCD projector you get a better contrast from an off white screen or grey, can anyone confirm this and where would I look into getting a roof mounted version.

Cheers

Kev.

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kevin,

I have to say that it is most definitely true what you hear about grey screens. I would say that this will soon become a prerequisite for an LCD PJ very soon. Only problem is they ain't cheap. Mines a Stewart Grayhawk which I ordered a few months back, I'm not aware of anyone else doing a 'proper' grey screen. I reckon its only a matter of time before other screen manufacturers cotton on and start producing more affordable grey screens. When all's said and done though, they do indeed work.

10. WSquared

WSquared

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    DaLite does the Hi Contrast DaMatt, which is also "grey". But this fabric is only available on the tensioned electric screens. These start at about £1600. From what I've heard, the Stewart Greyhawk is equally as expensive. Also, based on the samples that I have seen, I prefer the look of the Matt White screen over the DaLite grey screen in total darkness. The time I found the "grey" screen to be better is when when viewing with a lot of light in the room, which I don't ever like to do anyway. I have not tested any Stewart Greyhawk samples. However, I can't see that anybody with the VPL-HS1 would want to spend more money on either grey screen than what they spent on their projector. See this link for a pretty good overview of various DaLite screen surfaces tested with a Sony 10HT. This is a bit old as some of the screen surfaces are not current and new ones have come out.

I'm very happy with my DaLite 1.0 gain Matt White screen coupled with my 11HT... and it was reasonably priced(Thanks Walter).

Cheers,

11. Kevin Harris

Kevin Harris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The price of the screen is important as your are correct in saying no way do i want to pay more for the screen than the projector.

My ideal price is £300-400 for a manual pull down screen and I am not sure if this is a going to be possible even more so with what you were saying.

Maybe i will go out and spend £20 on some grey bed sheets and tie them tight to a wooden frame.

12. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Before spending a lot of cash on a screen, buy a piece of MDF from B&Q as a test for example 4 foot by 3 foot as a test or maybe bigger and use ICESTORM 5 paint. I think you will be surprised how good a screen can look with this combination.

If you do a search for ICESTORM using the 'search' button on the these forums you can read a lot about our experiences with this paint from B&Q.

James (using a CX1 with 8' by 4 foot MDF 1inch thick £15 +£10 ICESTORM 5 paint!)

13. Kevin Harris

Kevin Harris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers jrwood,

I think your idea is one I will try out.

Another question springs to mind after watching a few widescreen movies on the VPL-HS1 tonight, has anyone thought of a good way to mask off the borders top and bottom on the unused area of the 4:3 panels when projection a widescreen picture. I understand this is a feature with 4:3 LCD panels but has anyone been able to mask off the borders successfully.

I have experimented with holding paper in-front of the lens but you can’t get a sharp edge and tends to bleed into the picture. Just wondering if anyone has any good ideas on how to achieve this.

Thanks

Kev.

14. banditash

banditash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i got 1.80 meter blackout screen from wilkinsons for £37 it works wonders same screen in B&Q £60:p

15. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Again have a look in the DIY forum I think and this one, Ive posted a lot here about masking. I finally bought velvet from John Lewis and it was probably a little more than what I wanted to spend (its not the thick fluffy shiny velvet but the thin black velvet they sell in their stores btw).

I must admit when I got it home I thought it might reflect a bit of light but wow - it really makes a difference and even if you shine the projector directly at the velvet in a pitch black room you can hardly even see the projected image and any lightspill from the projector for widescreen movies is completely masked now :). It really makes a lot of difference imho. Ill have to get some pictures up one day although at the moment the screen isnt fixed to the wall yet and the velvet is simply pinned to the side of the MDF but it does a great job for now!.

James

16. Kevin Harris

Kevin Harris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again guys, looks like I will have to add 2 more shopping locations to my last min dash to buy all my xmas presents.

17. Kevin Harris

Kevin Harris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    James some pictures would really help. If you get a chance then let me know.

Cheers

Kev.

18. WSquared

WSquared

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Before you decide to go DIY, go and have a look at direkt2u.co.uk or crtprojectors.co.uk. Walter has some good value manual pull-down Matt white screens, approx £212(45x80inch or 114x203cm). I thought about DIY, but I don't think I could have made a surface as good as what that $212 will buy you.
    Merry Christmas,
    William

19. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the best thing to do is to pop into a local B&Q who do reasonably sized MDF (the large sizes are only at the supercentres) but it will give you an idea even at 60" wide and will easily fit in your car (for the 8' by 4' I had to get B&Q to deliver anyway).

Also at work we have a very expensive white screen which cost over £700 and I reckon my grey painted MDF is miles better for films especially blacks. Again you can buy the ICESTORM 5 paint in B&Q for 8 quid or so and 6 quid for a small 60"? piece of MDF. I suggest getting a roller too for £5.99 to make the finish smooth.

James

p.s Ill try and get some pictures up this week but no promises as I dont have a camera. If your interested in the velvet from John Lewis I'll try and dig out the receipt and find out the exact name/type of velvet I bought (imho the best blackout material on planet earth!).

20. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  21. Kevin Harris

Kevin Harris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    James,

The exact make of the black velvet would be of much help.

I have been playing with an old dark blue curtain and I was getting not bad results so if the black velvet is as good as you say roll on the January sales.

Cheers

Kev.

22. Walter mitty

Walter mitty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Back to the HS1........can anybody tell me what the 150inch diagnal is in screen actual width please. I thought they said it was maximum of 60inch in HC Mag? Please help i`m ready to pay up for 1 Thanks

23. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Walter, I take it that you have now been put of the Hitachi.
    According to a brochure on the Hs1 I have, it states in can project upto 305 cm wide from 6.3 to 6.8 metres. or in the real world it will do a 2 metre wide image from 4.2 - 4.5 metres from the screen.
    I cant say what width 150"diagonal would be, but a 120" dagonal would be 92" wide, or in new money 234 cm wide.

hope this helps.

24. Walter mitty

Walter mitty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahhh thanks Timn......yes I have been put off the Hitachi now...Pity... just as I thought I`d found the right PJ for my budget a problem arises. I have read good stuff about this HS1 and I more than likely will order one any day now I hope it`s as good as they say on here because nobody has one to demo round here....Thanks again.what would we do without this forum?

25. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IM THINKING OF GETTING THE SONY HAVE YOU SEEN IT IN ACTION

26. Kevin Harris

Kevin Harris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Deano,

Read the first post on this tread it kinda say a few things that might help you make your mind up.

I have had mine for 2 weeks now and already clocked up over 60 hours on it.

It aint let me down yet on picture, colour or brightness etc.

If you are on a budget of £2000 then this projector will give you good value for money, shop around tho you will get it for 1700ish.

Kev.

27. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I have seen the HS1 in action at a recent show, it was showing the pod race from SWE1, colours and contrast were good but I could make out the line structure of the image, this was on a screen approximately 7ft wide.
    Your best seeing it before you buy.
    I believe sound and vision may have one on demo, thats at Farmworth Manchester.

28. ali

ali
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh dear, just when I had my heart set on buying a VPL-VW11HT, done all the sums - feeling really bad about spending £3880 on a projector that's only going to give me 1000 (maybe 2000) hours of viewing time - but wanting to all the same...

... then I read all the great things about the HS1 and am thinking maybe it makes more sense to go for it, not just because its MORE THAN HALF THE PRICE, but just seems far better VALUE in the long run for a home cinema setup.

Thank God for this forum - its always good to get good advice from people who have been there before.

I'm still thinking about the screen - would LOVE to try out the DIY option for the living room, but for the bedroom, will need to buy a pulldown screen.

Last thing - how quite is this thing? According to the specs, the HT is quiter, only just.

29. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    The Hs1 is pretty quiet. You would be best having a demo of both of these projectors before you buy.
    If I had the money I would go for the 11ht.
    Where did you see the 11ht for £3880?

30. ali

ali
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check out Techtronics

I have just seen the HS1 going for £1595 INCLUDING VAT!!!
    at DNA if it is of interest to anyone.

Ali

PS, how do I change the way my name appears on the left?