1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VPL-CX1 How does a projector throw up?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by IronGiant, Jul 5, 2005.

1. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29,059
    My Sony VPL-CX1 is clearly designed to sit low on a coffee table and throws it's picture up at the screen. Mount it high and said picture is displayed on the ceiling. The only way to use it high is to turn it upside down and use dscaler on a PC to invert and mirror the image, which is fine with a HTPC, but not much use if you want to use a stand alone player. I have failed to find a way into a service menu to flip the picture and was wondering if I turned the lense assembly upside down, would it then throw the picture down without having to turn the projector upside down. (well out of warranty by the way)

Dave

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    Hi Dave,

I'm surprised you can't flip the image from the menu - does the bottom of the pj look as if it was designed to be ceiling mounted?

It's the display inside the pj that needs to be inverted, not the lens, so that wouldn't make any difference. Look through a camera and rotate it as you do and the image will stay right side up.

Gary.

3. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29,059
    Hi Gary,
    1) The PJ doesn't look like it was designed to ceiling mount.

2) It projects horizontally parallel to the bottom of the lense unit and about five feet above it, must be some sort of prism in the lense, that's why I'm thinking I could turn the lense upside down. In this scenario I wouldn't want to flip the picture just have the projector the right way up and have the lense unit project the picture at a lower level than the projector.

Does that make more sense?

Dave

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    Hi Dave,

I know what you mean, and it might just work. :)

Have you taken it apart before? It might not be as easy as you think as these things tend to be quite tightly packed inside.

Good luck though - and if it does work OK, don't forget to post some pics so we can all see how it went.

Gary.

5. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29,059
    Ok will do, if I ever have the courage to open it up :D
    Until then it has to sit on a shelf behind my right ear with me fending off sticky figures from small children :(