VP50 Specs up

PaulWilliam said:
With a 768 line TV presumably the VP50 would need to downscale the de-interlaced 1080p signal and therefore removing the full benefit that could be available with a 1080p TV.
I used to use Lumagen Pro HDP to deinterlace 1080i to 1080p for my previous 1366x768 50-inch plasma, and the picture quality was excellent.

Definately a visual benefit of scaling 1080p down to 768 rather than field-scaling 540 up.

On my new 1080p 50-inch plasma the extra detail of 1920x1080 definately shows the difference between proper 1080i deinterlacing and field-scaling. Although the display has a fair 1080i deinterlacer built in, I still use external video processors anyway.

StooMonster

Thanks for the advice,

Is the SD de-interlacing of the VP50 better than VP30 with ABT102?
(Even if it is I still need 576i from Sky HD via HDMI to get the full benefits!)

On the HD front, the current limited amount of HD material available may sway me towards delaying a purchase of the VP50.

At the very worst VSR is same performance as ABT102 for deinterlacing SD material, at best it's got a few fixes in it (e.g. Star Wars title crawl).

Furthermore, VSR may also include noise reduction (e.g. mosquito, macro block, etc.) at some point post-launch, and that would work on SD and HD content. This is pure speculation on my part though, not from any insider knowledge.

StooMonster

It's important to note that the VP50's deinterlacing algorithms can be fully upgraded through a new firmware. That was not possible on the VP30. So if there are fixes for the algorithms later on, the VP50 can get them through a "simple" firmware upgrade.

Sorry mate, should be doing my expenses; but tend to do things like check AVforums instead when it comes to admin time. :blush:

StooMonster

That trade-in offer at AVS is just amazing!
I can't see any VP30+ABT102 owner NOT taking this up.
$250 extra for international orders but that includes taxes/duties/shipping!
You have to move fast though.
http://www.dvdo.com/AVS/

@tryingtimes,

you've beaten me to it. Just wanted to post that, too. Definitely worth checking out.

P.S: In all fairness wouldn't it have been better to post the link to www.avsforum.com instead of the direct link to DVDO?

Hi Madshi
I guess I just assumed that anyone with a VP30 would be familiar with AVS as that's where most of the DVDO info gets posted. But yes, you are right.

tryingtimes said:
That trade-in offer at AVS is just amazing!
I can't see any VP30+ABT102 owner NOT taking this up.
$250 extra for international orders but that includes taxes/duties/shipping!
You have to move fast though.
http://www.dvdo.com/AVS/
That really is an astonishing offer, and certainly vindicates my decision to go down the DVDO route!

I initially thought the $250 "International Shipping & Handling Fee" was a bit cheeky, but when you consider that covers import duty and VAT on a $3000 piece of kit, it's a bargain.

Hopefully DVDO will do a true 1st come 1st served on this as I'm sure there are plenty of folk in the UK getting their orders in this morning before the US wakes up!

I see that the members of AVS have been offered a special price of $2599 during Sept This would relate to us including vat£1382+£242 vat=£1624 Are dvdo offering its UK customers such a deal? All I have heard up to now is £2k
Are we to be as usual with american products paying pounds instead of dollars?
What about the so called special relationship we are supposed to have with them?

The trade in program looks generous. Didn't think I would be tempted..but

Lexus said:
I see that the members of AVS have been offered a special price of $2599 during Sept This would relate to us including vat£1382+£242 vat=£1624 Are dvdo offering its UK customers such a deal? All I have heard up to now is £2k
Are we to be as usual with american products paying pounds instead of dollars?
What about the so called special relationship we are supposed to have with them?
Read it fully and you'll see that you get exactly the same offer but an extra $250 to cover taxes/shipping/etc.
This is really really good value.

I've seen some posts on AVS showing how they've had an HD+, then a VP30, then ABT102 card and now a VP50 and the TOTAL price they've paid is about the same amount as the VP50 is retail.
Unbelievable!

I don't actually know how they do it tbh - I really don't.

Using the trade-in program, is the VP50 then shipped from the U.S.?
If so, what about customs and VAT?

apparently it gets shipped to your local distributor (Owl I guess) and shipped from there to you. So no duties for you to pay. The $250 covers the duty to the distributor.

Can't knock DVDO for their upgrade programme and this does look a good offer. $1249 at 1.89 exchange rate is £660 plus a little bit for the credit card handling fee. Even so £660 to get processing on just my Sky HD channels (mainly footy) still seems a lot :eek:

I suppose sources will increase relatively soon. I have XBOX360 which I feed direct to plasma at 720p. Presumably I would be better to output 1080i from XBOX through the VP50 in game mode for low latency? Same with PS3 in due course? Or are both game sources progressive to start with so pointless interlacing then deinterlacing again? :confused:

Also an additional $99 for another silver front panel that looks exactly the same size shape etc. but just has the 3 in VP30 changed to a 5! That's pretty poor - you should be able to spec it as silver or black at the outset for the same cost. I'll be able to decorate with my spare black front panels in a bit :rolleyes:

Ah well - reckon my order will still be in later tonight!

TW

tryingtimes said:
Read it fully and you'll see that you get exactly the same offer but an extra $250 to cover taxes/shipping/etc.
This is really really good value.

I've seen some posts on AVS showing how they've had an HD+, then a VP30, then ABT102 card and now a VP50 and the TOTAL price they've paid is about the same amount as the VP50 is retail.
Unbelievable!

I don't actually know how they do it tbh - I really don't.
The $250 cover for taxes and shipping is for upgrades not new purcheses at a selling price of $2599 the unit is going to be charged $520 imput tax and vat so how could they do that for $250.With upgrades it could be the $999 balance that they are covering for vat and tax

Lexus said:
The $250 cover for taxes and shipping is for upgrades not new purcheses at a selling price of $2599 the unit is going to be charged $520 imput tax and vat so how could they do that for $250.With upgrades it could be the $999 balance that they are covering for vat and tax

Josh has confirmed that it doesn't cover VAT. The prices on there website don't include local US sales taxes either.

So somewhere down the line there will be a 17.5% addition for the UK but that should be all (i.e. no shipping or import duties).

Still a reasonable deal with the AVS offer. ;)

Am I right in thinking that if when placing the AVS upgrade order, the credit card is authorised but not then actually billed until the VP50's are ready to ship?

Thanks.

TransientWolf said:
I have XBOX360 which I feed direct to plasma at 720p. Presumably I would be better to output 1080i from XBOX through the VP50 in game mode for low latency? Same with PS3 in due course? Or are both game sources progressive to start with so pointless interlacing then deinterlacing again? :confused:

I asked this question when I got my VP, apparently all the XBox games are basically 720p native (1280x720), and so it's best to run the console at that resolution if possible. Think 1080i is just included for reasons of compatibility with displays that can't accept 720p.

That said, on my setup I can't see any noticeable difference between the two!

PS3 I'm not sure about, tho I've read some reports that some games will be 1080p and some will be 720p - hopefully it will have some sort of 'auto' setting.

So somewhere down the line there will be a 17.5% addition for the UK but that should be all (i.e. no shipping or import duties).

So is that 17.5% on the full retail price ($3000) or on the difference between full and upgrade price? ($1000) Makes a bit of a difference. :eek:

re this vat thing, I've been told (so it must be true! :D ), that if you pay import duty (which OWL presumabley will be), you don't pay vat as well, i.e. it's one or tuther, but not both.

any thought?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom