VP50 Specs up

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.dvdo.com/pro/pro_isvp50.php

datasheet pdf
http://www.dvdo.com/documents/DVDO_iScan_vp50_datasheet.pdf

$3k

For info for peole here (from Joshs AVS thread)

The iScan™ VP50 is a high-definition video processor and A/V hub that converts standard or high definition from your HD-DVD player, Blu-ray Disc player, HD-DVR, game console, or PC to any output resolution between VGA and 1080p, including popular HDTV resolutions such as 720p and 1080i.

•VRS Precision Deinterlacing™ technology by ABT – 480i/576i/1080i Motion, Edge & Source Adaptive Deinterlacer
o Five-field motion adaptive deinterlacing
o Edge adaptive processing to produce smooth diagonal edges
o Three frame video processing delay (Max)
o Game Modes with very low latency (sub-1 frame delay/2 frame delay with Edge adaptive processing)
• Arbitrary cadence detection (any:any) to detect non-standard cadences in input signals.
o Reliable 2:2 pull-down detection for 50Hz countries
o Detection of 2:2 to/from 3:2 crossfades and out of phase 3:2 crossfades
o Detection of multiple source types within a frame for example video titles over film
o Bad edit detection and compensation to minimize artifacts caused by sequence breaks in film content

•VRS Precision Video Scaling II™ technology by ABT - 10-bit Scaling with Enhanced Sharpness Control

•ABT's Precision Gamma Correction™ - Individual R/G/B Adjustments
•ABT's Precision A/V Lipsync™ - Intelligent digital audio delay technology to match Audio and Video timing
•ABT's Rightrate™ – High-Performance Framerate Conversion
•ABT's AutoVFR™ – Intelligent Component Video Inputs with Automatic Video Format Routing
•ABT's AutoCUE-C™ – Automatic Chroma Upsampling Error detection and correction

• 4 HDMI Inputs which process up to 1080p-50/60 signals
• Pass Through (up to 1080p-60)
• Analog HD Transcoding and Processing

Input Aspect Ratio Controls
•Presets: 4:3 full frame, 4:3 letterbox, Panorama, 16:9 full frame or user-defined aspect ratio (10)
•Flexible Horizontal and Vertical Zooming & Panning controls
•Overscan Adjustment per input

Output Aspect Ratio Controls
•Presets: 4:3, 16:9, 2.35:1 or custom output aspect ratio
•Separate Display/Screen Adjustments
•Underscan Adjustment to eliminate Overscan inherent in a display

10 User-Defined 'Display Profiles' – For multiple display, framerate, and image shift configurations (10)

•10-bit 300MHz Instrumentation Quality DACs (2x Oversampling for 1080p)
•Full-frame Timebase Correction
•High performance, multi-standard video decoder (10-bit: 480i/576i; 12-bit: 480p/576p/720p/1080i)
•High-quality super-adaptive comb filter with 2D Y/C separation
•Flexible Digital and Analog Audio switching and routing – 4 HDMI audio/video inputs, 5 assignable audio inputs (4 digital, 1 analog) with 1 HDMI audio/video output and 2 active digital audio outputs.
•Software Upgradeable

• Predefined output resolutions for Plasma, DLP, LCD, LCOS, and CRT-based displays:
480p (720x480)
576p (720x576)
720p (1280x720)
1080i (1920x1080)
1080p (1920x1080)
VGA (640x480)
SVGA (800x600)
XGA (1024x768)
SXGA (1280x1024)
848x600
852x480
1024x576
1024x1024 (ALIS)
1280x768
1280x960
1365x1024
1366x768
1400x788
1400x1050
1440x960
1440x1152
• User customizeable output resolution from 480p (720x480) to 1080p (1920x1080)

Technical Specifications

Inputs
Twelve Video Inputs Available
• Two Composite (NTSC/PAL/SECAM)
• Two S-Video (NTSC/PAL/SECAM)
• Two Component (YPbPr or RGB/S) processes 480i/p, 576i/p, 720p, 1080i
• One RGBHV/Component (BNC-style connectors) processes 480p, 576p, 720p, 1080i, VGA/SVGA/XGA/SXGA@60Hz
• Four HDMI processes 480i/p, 576 i/p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, VGA/SVGA/XGA/SXGA@60Hz
• One Optional SD-SDI (Serial Digital Interface) processes 480i/576i
Nine Audio Inputs
• Four HDMI
• Two Coaxial Digital
• Two Optical Digital
• One Analog Pair (L/R)

Outputs
One Analog Video Output
• Using High Quality BNC-style connectors
• Configurable for YPbPr, RGBHV, RGB/S, or RGB
One Digital Audio/Video Output
• Using HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) connector
• Configurable for YCbCr or RGB
• Also carries audio
Two Digital Audio Outputs
• One Coaxial Digital
• One Optical Digital

Controls
Front Panel
• Infrared remote control with direct access codes or manual controls on front panel
• Functions accessible via either On Screen Display (OSD) or 2 line, 20 character front-panel LED display
• RS232 port for software downloads and automation.
• Fully programmable controls for each separate video input with non-volatile memories:
- Automatic input source detection & input priority selection
- Picture controls with memory for each input: Brightness, Contrast, Saturation, Hue, Y/C Delay, Sharpness
• Output Controls: Analog/Digital, Format/Resolution, Aspect Ratio, Sync Type, Colorspace (RGB or YPbPr),
Frame Lock, Display Profiles (10)
• 35 Built-in test patterns for ease of set up

Miscellaneous
• Rack Mount Kit included (1RU)

Power
• Universal AC mains input: 100 – 240 VAC @ 50-60 Hz
&#8226; Consumption <30W
&#8226; Sleep Mode &#8211; automatic 30 second timeout indicated by power indicator color change

Physical Dimensions
&#8226; 10.4&#8221;x17&#8221;x2.2&#8221; (26.3cmx43.4cmx5.5cm) with feet
&#8226; 10.4&#8221;x17&#8221;x1.8&#8221; (26.3cmx43.4cmx4.6cm) without feet

Available Accessories
&#8226; SD-SDI Input Module
&#8226; Silver Front Bezel

FAQs:
Q: What are these new 'Game Modes' ?
A: These modes can reduce the amount of video delay to less than a single frame. In many competitive processors the effects of applying complex algorithms to the video image results in upwards of a seven frame delay. This can inhibit the real-time performance for gamers who want instantaneous response to react to stimuli and to realize peak performance from their application. The VRS Precision Deinterlacing&#8482; Game Modes will reduce frame delay down to slightly less than one frame of video.

Q: What comes on the DVD that ships VP50?
A: The DVD that comes with the VP50 includes many test patterns to assist the you in optimizing the setup and to evaluate the performance of your iScan VP50 (or any other video processing). This DVD was produced by Stacey Spears and Don Munsil (S&M) and I strongly believe that this will be the Reference DVD that everyone uses to compare video processing from now on.

The Static Patterns include:
Picture Controls (Brightness/Contrast, Color/Tint, Y/C Delay, and Resolution)
Geometry (Frame Geometry, Image Cropping, Cross Hatch - Coarse, Cross Hatch - Fine, and Focus)
Gray Scale (10IRE - 100IRE Windows and Gray Ramp)
Half Patterns (Black/White, Color 7 Bars 75, Color (7) Bars 100, Color (8) Bars 75 and Color (8) Bars 100 - These are the 'other half' of the test patterns which are built into the iScan VP50)

The Motion Patterns include:
Chroma Upsampling (ICP, 2-2, and 2-3)
Source Adaptive (Film, Film Detail, and Synthetic Wedge - Each test patterns has 2-2, 2-2-2-4, 2-3-2-3, 2-3-3-2-2, 2-3-3-2, 3-2-3-2-2, 3-3, 4-4, 5-5, 6-4, 8-7-8-7 cadences as well as a sped up cadence and bad-edits)
Edge Adaptive (Jaggies at 45/20/10 degress, Jaggies at all degrees, Video sequences which have very difficult diagonals: 'Ropes', "Ship' , 'Hockey', and Bridge')
Mixed Mode (Horizontal Text and Vertical Text)
Montage

There is also a Demo Loop which goes through all of the deinterlacing evaluation content.

The Source Adaptive 'Film' and 'Film Detail' content should be familiar to everyone, they are the infamous Cafe scene (ever wonder what happens after the bum gets the newspaper?) and Super Speedway, respectively.

Q: Can I purchase an iScan VP50 with the SDI input module installed.
A: At this point, this card is purely a user/dealer-installable upgrades. Both are very easy to do and the installation of either will not void your warranty.

Q: Does the iScan VP50 use the same SDI input module as the iScan HD, HD+, VP20 and VP30?
A: Yes, the iScan VP50 uses exactly the same input module.

Q: Can the iScan VP50 take an HDMI input signal and output that same signal over the analog outputs?
A: If the input signal has HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) legally we must turn off the analog outputs. If the input signal does not have HDCP, then the iScan VP50 CAN output this signal as an analog signal (either RGB or component) at any resolution between VGA and 1080p.

Q: What features does the VP50 have, which the iScan VP20/VP30 do not have?
A: &#8226; Precision Video Deinterlacing&#8482; by ABT for SD (480i/576i) and HD (1080i)
VP20/VP30 use the SiI504 for SD deinterlacing and both are upgradeable to the ABT102 (Precision Deinterlacing Card).
&#8226;HDMI Inputs can process up to 1080p
VP20/VP30 can process up to 720p/1080i
There will be more features/differentiators added to this list

Q: If I connect an HDMI (audio/video) source to the iScan VP50 will I be able to get audio out via the optical/coaxial digital outputs?
A: In most cases the audio that is available on the HDMI connection will be available on the optical/coaxial audio outputs. Exceptions include MLP (DVD-Audio) and DSD (SACD) which SPDIF connections are incapable of carrying due to bandwidth limitations.

Thanks Nic
I can't really see any expected features missing - a bit more than just a vp30 with HD processing, which is good.
Should be a good unit - any clue as to expected street date?
I guess we'll hear all about it from Cedia.

Cheers

Looks like a HDMI 1.1 VP30 with HD deinterlacing onboard (as opposed to SiI504 / ABT102 option for SD)

Any sort of Noise Reduction, MPEG Blocking Reduction included that anyone's aware of??

Nic Rhodes said:
Looks like a HDMI 1.1 VP30 with HD deinterlacing onboard (as opposed to SiI504 / ABT102 option for SD)
Did VP30 have RGB Gamma adjustment?

Anyway going by the current "DVDO exchange rate™" of 1.42 :) it would be £2112 so maybe 1999 with a bit of luck or 2199 if we're out of it ;)

Even so I would much rather have this than the Vantage, so long as it delivers what we're all expecting of it.

Still no automatic selection of input aspect ratio it seems (PAL line 23 / SCART pin 8). :rolleyes: Still at least they have done it for HDMI inputs. What do they do in the US - select it manually all the time? :mad:

Does the ABT 102 card work with this? I mean, if you have one, can it be installed in this? :confused:

David Robinson said:
No point - it's in there already (the precision deinterlacing chip that is). :cool:

Ah :blush:

Oh well, looks like I'll have a one month old VP30 for trading in soon :eek:

tryingtimes said:
you can fix that for 60 quid
Interesting... I think though that the automation control protocol is unique to DVDO, and that box doesn't seem to support it... I am considering making my own automation controller for this but it's really more of a winter project... :cool:

David Robinson said:
Interesting... I think though that the automation control protocol is unique to DVDO, and that box doesn't seem to support it... I am considering making my own automation controller for this but it's really more of a winter project... :cool:
It might support it - drop the manufacturer a line - it already supports loads of devices not on that list (lumagen, Crystalio, etc) I'd be surprised if DVDO wasn't one of them.

The other snag though, is that the box has only one input, and I have 3 sources going into my scaler. The way I propose to do it, is to connect all 3 pin 8's into the controller, which will then poll the DVDO to find out which input it is on, before checking the appropriate pin 8.

DVDO almost certainly could implement line 23 in software if they wanted to. Chances are that the ADC they are using supports this (no-one makes ones that don't - there's no point). I suggested this to them ages ago, and they said they would bear it in mind for future products. This would only work for PAL, not NTSC, but it would be a start.

This is off topic, but line 23 isn't very good for scalers - the scart pin 8 is much more reliable. I would just have SKY/freeview into it - the other sources don't swap as often.
I don't know how often dvds change really because I use theatertek which switched automatically, but I'm guessing that it's only the extras that cause problems.

Boy 'o' Boy, and to think they haven't even fixed the niggly issues with the VP30. :eek: I'm hoping for a decent trade in discount to the VP30 faithfulls :rolleyes:

UK pricing and availability anyone??

tryingtimes said:
Did VP30 have RGB Gamma adjustment?
I thought it was a feature of the v1.10 firmware; but that's just overall gamma correction. VP50 has seperate gamma correction for red, green and blue.

StooMonster

tryingtimes said:
you can fix that for 60 quid
http://www.multi-region.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=679
As long as it's compatible with the RS232 port on the back.
Works with iScan Ultra but DVDO changed protocols on HD, HD+, VPx0 range so it doesn't work with them. :(

This can be changed with a firmware flash, and the chap that makes the PARC209 says he'll update the software once someone tells him what the new DVDO ASCI codes are.

This is another thing on my to-do list. Works great with Lumagen though.

StooMonster

David Robinson said:
The other snag though, is that the box has only one input, and I have 3 sources going into my scaler. The way I propose to do it, is to connect all 3 pin 8's into the controller, which will then poll the DVDO to find out which input it is on, before checking the appropriate pin 8.

DVDO almost certainly could implement line 23 in software if they wanted to. Chances are that the ADC they are using supports this (no-one makes ones that don't - there's no point). I suggested this to them ages ago, and they said they would bear it in mind for future products. This would only work for PAL, not NTSC, but it would be a start.
I have a JS Tech scart switcher feeding my PARC209 (aspect switcher for scalers), it has only pin 8 connected from Sky HD and SDI'ed DVD player.

Pin 8 on scart is the best and most reliable way to get aspect switching in PAL countries, and no such thing exists in NTSC world!

With VPx0 range, you can also get aspect ratio set over HDMI. With Sky, 16:9 works perfectly but 4:3 has zoom applied (which annoys me as I want 4:3 with no zoom).

StooMonster

Jase said:
Any sort of Noise Reduction, MPEG Blocking Reduction included that anyone's aware of??
These could well be in the hardware, but not yet utilised in the firmware and therefore mentioned in marketing materials. Dale's certainly mentioned on forums that he's been working on such things. ;)

If this is the case, let's hope they get used ... I am pretty sure that there are things in HD+ hardware and VP30 hardware that never had software support and thus were never used. :( Fingers crossed VP30 still might get some new features though. :cool:

StooMonster

Stoomonster - thanks for that. I think they need to get Noise Reduction in there, after seeing the Realta's NR in action. :)

Am I correct in saying that to get the best value and benefit from the VP50 you should have a TV that both accepts and displays a 1080p signal? I say this as I assume that the Sky 1080i signal can be properly deinterlaced by the VP50 (rather than treated as 2 consecutive 540p signals by the VP30) and the full 1080 lines displayed progressively.

With a 768 line TV presumably the VP50 would need to downscale the de-interlaced 1080p signal and therefore removing the full benefit that could be available with a 1080p TV.

I have a Sharp Aquos 768 line LCD TV and and VP30, and have concluded that I should stick with this combination until such time I decide to buy a 1080p TV. Then an upgrade from a VP30 to a VP50 can be considered. However,the cost will prohibit such a move for a while.

well I would think that a 768 tv would benefit by exactly the same amount as a 1080 screen. It's the HD deinterlacing that will be improved, and that will be noticable on both TVs with the VP30 showing 1080i content.
Might be worth keeping an eye on the trade-in price if you watch a lot of 1080i content with a critical eye.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom