VP50 audio output problem, help please!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by John G, Sep 18, 2007.

1. John G

John G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I am just trying to set up a VP50 in my system. Have finally got some sound after messing about for ages. The only problem is the VP50 is only outputting PL2 instead of DD. I can't see anywhere in the menu's where I can alter this. I feel like I'm missing something really basic. Also, any help on video settings would be a big help as to be honest, the picture on DVD is probably worse than before!
    Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Cheers, John

2. Steve_B

Steve_B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    John,

To my knowledge the VP50 just outputs what it receives. (except for HDMI 1.3 audio formats which it can't deal with)

You don't mention from which device you are expecting DD as opposed to PL - SKY perhaps? as I know there is a setting on the SKY box for that? - Though if its SKY-HD and HDMI then I think DD is only currently output via the optical TOS-Link rather than HDMI (could of course be wrong).

As for the DVD picture, I certainly notice a difference when using the VP50, what are your current settings for the input and output? Is your DVD player sending prog or interlaced? 50 or 60hz? which output type (RGB, Component)?and is the VP50 setup to match? and upscale? each VP50 input\output is individually configurable. (sorry if its Grandmother and sucking eggs....)

3. John G

John G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Steve,
    Thanks for your reply. My DVD player is connected to the VP50 via HDMI and audio out from the VP50 is via coaxial cable to my amplifier. The DVD is definately outputting a DD5.1 signal but on any disc I play I only get PL2 from my amp.
    I know I changed the output on the DVD from 1080i to 480p/576p and set the VP50 to 720p 60hz. The DVD is set to progressive scan.
    Just watched 'Heroes' tonight on BBCHD (picture was no better than normal Sky) and that was in DD. I'm confused because it makes no mention of audio outputs and there assisgments in the manual.
    Cheers, ohn

4. dpstjp

dpstjp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Have you tried running a coax straight from your DVD to your amp? I know this would then require switching sources on the amp as well as the VP50, but I must presume that the problem is the DVD HDMI link to the VP50, not a problem with the VP50 itself.

dpstjp

5. dpstjp

dpstjp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    The VP50 manual states that all audio outputs are always on, so no assignment is necessary or available. Stupid question, but do you run the audio for the Sky through the same route?

dpstjp

6. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Also what firmware is on the VP50? (Current is 1.04, press info button to see. PReP feature mentioned below isn't in the original 1.00 firmware)

Do you have HDMI from VP50 to Display?

If so the Display could be telling the DVD (via the VP50) that it only has Stereo speakers, in which case the DVD will downmix to Stereo (DolbyPL), HDMI 'cleverness'. ;) (this may improve with 1.04 VP50 firmware)

If you are sending Progressive SD to the VP50 (and can't switch it off at the source) then switch on PReP for that source in the input menu, otherwise half of the VP50 goodness is being bypassed and you may not notice an improvement.

Currently it sounds like your DVD is doing the De-interlacing (bypassing anything in the VP), the VP is doing some scaling to 720p and then your Display is doing some more scaling on top to get to it's native resolution (possibly messing up anything the VP did).

This certainly could look worse then before, try to get 480i/576i into the VP (so it's doing the work) for DVD (either sending direct from the player if possible or using the VP50's PReP feature to turn 480p -> 480i) and set your SkyHD box to Auto Res output and use PReP on that for the 576p SD channels. Then you can look to what your display can handle for the VP50 output (from what I remember unless your Pio is a 1080p one you won't be able to bypass it's additional scaling except possibly with a DVI card and a 60Hz mode).

7. John G

John G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Ailean,
    Thanks for your reply. Not sure what the firmware version is but there is PReP available on the menu.
    I can switch between progressive and interlaced on my DVD.
    My Pioneer is the 506XDE with the separate media box. I have connected the VP50 to that via HDMI.
    I have no idea how to change the 480p/576p coming out of my DVD into 480i/576i.
    Sorry to sound like an absolute novice but unfortunately that's what I am!
    Cheers, John

8. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Best aid for doing things with the VP50 is the Info button, it's on the top row of the remote and will tell you pritty much all you need to know about what's happening with video (also the firmware version). ;)

Play with the DVD output settings and see if you can get the VP50 info to say the input is 480i (or 576i for a PAL disc).

If you only manage to get 480p(576p) then you want to switch on the PReP feature in the VP50 input adjust menu :)confused:).

Again, when you bring up the Info screen it will tell you that PReP is on (although it says it in the output section :rolleyes:).

That's a start at least.

9. John G

John G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Ailean,
    Thanks for the info. I finally got the DD5.1 problem sorted out. For some reason the DVD had changed settings and I had to go into the setup to change it back again.
    Now I just have to sort the picture out!. DVD is better than it was but still cannot get 480i/576i out of the DVD.
    I guess it's just a case of tinkering about with the settings.
    I am hoping to hear from Gordon shortly about visiting to properly calibrate my setup.
    Thanks again, John

ps If you think of anything else I could try please let me know.

10. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    If your Denon is anything like my old one then it may not do 480i/576i (mine just has options for 480p/720p/1080i), in which case go with 480p/576p and activate PReP in the VP50 input adjust menu (think it's below De-interlacing).

You should have the same results then PQ wise.

Do the same for your SkyHD box input and in the Sky menus set the video output to Auto (again the Sky box only outputs 576p not 576i when used with the VP50). Then non HD channels should look nicer.

I think next time I upgrade my VP I'll be calling on the likes of Gordon as it can be a steep learning curve and my patience for doing calibration by eye is dropping rapidly. :D