VP50 Audio Buzzing processing HD

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by TransientWolf, Dec 25, 2006.

1. TransientWolf

TransientWolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I am sure I read this in an earlier post but can't find much when searching.

My VP50 has been fine for the last couple months but all of a sudden I seem to have an audio problem when watching any HD source. It consists of a (pretty loud) buzzing in my rear speakers when watching any HD source, which goes away completely with any SD sourcel.

Not an earth problem, purely when HD processing is going on on the VP50.

Anybody else had any experience and managed to get rid of it?

2. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    well... maybe.. The only thing I can think of, is that HD data is transferred at a higher frequency than SD video. Perhaps you are getting crosstalk between the video and audio leads, which could be down to a brokern earth connection, or a new fault in your AV processor/amp.

Are you sure you haven't changed anything recently?

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Chris

3. TransientWolf

TransientWolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Common denominator is the VP50 :-( Both Xbox and SkyHD are buzing like mad and never used to. Both are basically unwatchable unless I take the audio out to the amp directly but I don't want to lose the lipsync.

OWL are getting a call on Wednesday!

4. TransientWolf

TransientWolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Update

Narrowed this down to the HDMI cable between the SkyHD box and the VP50. As posted elsewhere I have had on and off trouble with the signal being lost from time to time from SkyHD and had been meaning to replace it anyway but never got round to it.

Changed the Nordost Wyreworld last night to the bog standard cable that came free with (and was still inside in the loft!) Sky box and not only a) did the picture seem better (seriously), and b) the intermittent signal loss not happen again (so far) but it also sorted out the sound problem.

Even weirder, it also sorted out the problem with the XBOX360 HD player too even though that is nothing to do with the cable. I can only assume the cable was introducing some sort of interference with the VP50 that was then affecting other inpput sources when HD processing.

At least now working again - £80 cable back to Sevenoaks rather than VP50 back to OWL works for me!