VP30 ABT 102 with 65" Panasonic VT20?

AidenL

Hi all,

Just wondering if you have any thoughts about whether the VP30 I currently have would be of any benefit attached to a VT20, or is the VP30 outdated now?

Is a 65" screen a bad idea while watching SD broadcasts?

AidenL

None have any thoughts?

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hi Aiden,

The bigger the screen them ore you see the artefacts, that's for sure. Also the higher you scale a low res signal the more the scaling can show up the issues already in the signal. yOUR VP30 probably has as good scaling as is in the tv while the abt102 card has prep that will definately help with SKYHD's sd channels if you have that source (I don't see it in your sig). So there may be a case for the VP30 in this system.

If you wanted to really make it sing though you might consider trading in the VP30 and getting a Lumagen.... (yes, I know, I would say that). Many folk have done the switch and are glad they did. The Lumagens upscaling for SD is superior to the ABT stuff and will not amplify these compression artefacts. Not only that, it has superior sharpness, noise reduction and calibration tools that will help to make the tv sing (and it will do all these tricks for 3D content as well)

Hope that's of use

AidenL

Hi Aiden,

The bigger the screen them ore you see the artefacts, that's for sure. Also the higher you scale a low res signal the more the scaling can show up the issues already in the signal. yOUR VP30 probably has as good scaling as is in the tv while the abt102 card has prep that will definately help with SKYHD's sd channels if you have that source (I don't see it in your sig). So there may be a case for the VP30 in this system.

If you wanted to really make it sing though you might consider trading in the VP30 and getting a Lumagen.... (yes, I know, I would say that). Many folk have done the switch and are glad they did. The Lumagens upscaling for SD is superior to the ABT stuff and will not amplify these compression artefacts. Not only that, it has superior sharpness, noise reduction and calibration tools that will help to make the tv sing (and it will do all these tricks for 3D content as well)

Hope that's of use
Thanks for that Gordon - if its allowed, by the forum rules, you might let me know by PM what sort of cost I would be looking at for an upgrade? :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom