voting about Lumagen feature wish "auto cropping"

madshi

Hi guys,

I've posted a feature wish on the Lumagen support forum for "auto cropping". Patrick said that he'd consider to implement the wish if there's enough interest. So all you Lumagen HDP/HDQ owners please have a look here and let your voice be heard about whether you like the feature wish or not:

http://www.convergent-av.co.uk/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=633

Thank you!

Here's a summary of my feature wish "auto cropping":

What do I need this for? Let me try to explain: Of course I've my display 1:1 pixel mapped and I've also a SDI modded DVD player. There are a good number of DVDs where there are a few black pixels encoded on every side (top, right, bottom, left). I'm not talking about the letterboxes in 2.35 or 1.85 aspect ratio movies. I'm talking about additional pillar boxing around the image.

Of course I hate overscan (like most of us?). So I don't want to use a big overscan, because that would cut away precious image content of "good" DVDs. However, I also don't like pillar boxing around the image. So currently I'm ending up manually readjusting TOPL and BTMR again and again for every DVD to get the best possible experience.

So my feature wish is that the Lumagen auto adjusts TOPL and BTMR for me, so that the current source is optimally shown.

There could be a discrete remote code which I could activate. In that moment the Lumagen could analyze the currently shown frame, try to locate the source rectangle and zoom the image accordingly to get rid of pillarboxing. After this there should only be black frames either top/bottom (2.35) or left/right (4.3), but there should no longer be any black frames on all 4 sides of the screen.

StooMonster

Good idea for any VP I recon.

Snapshots as opposed to real-time monitoring is probably most feasible solution.

StooMonster

madshi

Thanks!

Yes, everybody seems to prefer the snapshot solution. Personally, I like full automatic (if it works). But I'd be happy enough with the simpler solution.

StooMonster

Well snapshot would take next to no processing power, whereas real-time monitoring would require constant processing -- for little benefit, it's not like the image constantly changes.

"Use maximum picture" option is a good idea.

StooMonster

madshi

I'm buying scalers all the time... :) Currently I have an iScan HD+ and a Lumagen HDQ sitting around here. But both will not be long term solutions. Both are only supposed to hold me over water until I can get what I'm really looking for.

tryingtimes

ah - I see. It would take another thread to cover your ever-changing criteria ;)
Back on topic - do any other VPs have this feature?

StooMonster

madshi said:
But both will not be long term solutions.
Trust me, there will never be a long term solution. ;)

Always greater and better on the horizon. :)

StooMonster

madshi

StooMonster said:
Trust me, there will never be a long term solution. ;)

Always greater and better on the horizon. :)

StooMonster
True. But at least there should at one point in time be a solution I'm fully happy with. Right now I'm not happy with SD video deinterlacing.

miceri

Novice Member
Followed the link, but couldn't see voting buttons to add my tuppence.

Do I have to be a member and log in?

shane515

Novice Member
miceri said:
Followed the link, but couldn't see voting buttons to add my tuppence.

Do I have to be a member and log in?
Yes to vote, you must register firsts!!
Shane

Top Bottom