Question vote...which room would you vote for?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by saul9876, Jun 24, 2015.

1. saul9876

saul9876
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am planning to start a home cinema room. I have got the opportunity to have one of two rooms.
    I need ideas of which if the two rooms would work best.

Room 1, 10 feet wide and 26 feet deep and 8.5 feet high ceiling.

Room 2, 13 feet wide and 20 feet deep with 8.5 feet high ceilings.

Room 1 will have a window at the rear of the room. Room 2 will be sealed. In the pictures shown, i will brick up the projection screen end when I decide which room.

If you can advise which you would go for, and whether 5.1 or 7.1 would work. I wish I had the width of room 2 and the depth of room 1. Kind regards

Attached Files:

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,485
    If it was me, I would go for the 13 x 20 room, with a 10ft wide 2.39 screen (possibly a little larger), with two rows of seats at around 10 feet and 15 feet. That leaves you around 4 feet behind the rear seats away from the rear speakers. You might want to get the projector and experiment with screen size and seating distances to find your personal preference.

If you build a false wall you can fit the speakers in the wall and have an acoustically transparent screen with no visible speakers. This will cut down on the room length by the depth of the false wall though.

I would go for a 7.1.4 Atmos speaker arrangement (4 ceiling speakers), and also fit wide speakers as well. Maybe pre-wire for 6 ceiling speakers.

If you went for the other room, the screen would be pretty much wall to wall, but you'd have more room for the false wall (if you wanted that) and more room behind the second row for a bar if that was something you'd like in there as well. Seems to be quite common in the US.

The wider room allows more space between the screen and walls (less light reflecting back from the walls onto the screen) and more (or larger) seats and aisle space. Columns would be less intrusive as well if you have them, and there is more space for wall treatments. Overall, wider seems a better choice of the two IMHO.

Gary

3. warjam1945

warjam1945

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I second what lightfoot says, he knows his stuff. Your room is close to the size of mine at 13 x 20 and i am doing what lightfoot suggested as in false wall, 2 rows and atmos setup.

4. 28061

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    Agree