Vonage question - multiple sockets on vonage

Discussion in 'General Tech & Gadget Forums' started by guygamps, Jan 30, 2009.

1. guygamps

guygamps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - currently I have two phones and broadband with Virgin Media.

Line 1 rental - £11, talk unlimited £25 - 5 sockets around the house - big house, 3 wired phones, and 4 DECT phones

Line 2 rental - another £11 plus shares the talk unlimited of line 1 - only 1 socket in my office.

Then I pay £25 per month for Broadband, I have negotiated a small monthly re-bate over those costs, but still it is a lot.

The cost of running line 2 I get back from my employer (I work from home and only use it for work)

but line one which is for personal and family is costing £36 plus calls to mobiles which are not included.

Virgin broadband (NTL as was) has been 100% reliable, it is fast, good quality, has no download limits, and although not the cheapest I am basically happy with it, but their phone line costs seem OTT. so been thinking about VOIP.

idea is to keep one line (in fact - line 2), and broadband, but nothing else from virgin.

I called Vonage, told them I am thinking of replacing line 1 with Vonage £5.99 per month package. Specifically asked the sales person if after successfully testing it, I could install in such a way alll my sockets around the house would go through vonage, was told yes no problem - I could wire the vonage router to nearby socket in such a way this would work... we even discussed if this needed to be the master socket and I was told no.

Got it, tried it , with just one phone plugged in to Vonage adaptor and then to my router, and I like it. So I called them and said "now to go to next step, connect to my socket so all the sockets work on vonage throughout the house.

Was told this isn't possible, only works in North America

Wow, what a load of nonsense. I could of course purchase a DECT phone with 5 handsets, but my experience is (we are a large family) that people nevr put them back on their chargers, however many you have, and you really need at least one wired phone on each floor, otherwise phone rings, and you run around trying to find a handset!

So, basically I was mis-sold it, I am in a free trial period so no problem I can cancel.

but I like it, I like what it does, and like the potential for saving £30 per month over virgin, and it can be done in USA, can it be done with a bit of know how here?

anyone any experience with that?

Thanks

Guy

2. guygamps

guygamps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone?