Quantcast

Von Ryan's Express Blu-ray Review & Comments

Garrett

At Sinatra insistence the end was change from the book in which Ryan got away, but at the time it was in vogue that the hero died.

silouette

I bought it ages ago in the original guise, sadly yet to watch it as a friend reminded me of the ending and can't bring myself to watch. ( I luckily usually forget what happens in most films so always a treat to re watch later)

Evinger

Thanks for the Honest Review Cas. Always was a great Sunday Afternoon Movie, and doesn't sound like it's worth picking up the Disk, from what you wrote :)

Garrett

I hope you don't mind Cas adding a bit of extra info, but Frank Sinatra was not the only singer on the train, the lady (brunet in the film) was also a singer.

mark6226

An excellent movie. Bluray looks OK
It was sinatra who insisted that the ending be changed. He told the studio that unless they changed the ending that he wouldn't do the movie
Apparently he wanted to avoid any possibility of a sequel
Sadly the ending just about ruins an excellent movie
I dont expect sinatra cared about that

encaser

Cheers for the review and walk down war torn memory road, Cas - my dad took me to see Where Eagles Dare as a nipper which was fantastic on the big screen.
This is indeed a classic and one I loved during the 70s when all the war films were still shown with regularity and caused schoolboy walks with and when that happened etc. with friends.
Shame, as you say, it hasn't got more than a pressing for HMV cheap cash.

Evinger

Cheers for the review and walk down war torn memory road, Cas - my dad took me to see Where Eagles Dare as a nipper which was fantastic on the big screen.
The intro scene of Where Eagles Dare with the JU 52 flying between the Mountains & with that fantastic stirring Theme Tune playing in the background still gives me cold chills! :D