Volvo S30 anyone?

Whitley Lad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there any Volvo C30's out in forum land can give me their experiences (good and bad)?
I'm going to be changing my VW Passat in the next few months and quite like the look of the little Volvo.

Any drivers comments would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Can a mod. please change to C30.:facepalm:

Haven't driven one, but I think they look smart.
Volvo were doing a good finance deal on them too.
Something like £199 a month for a good spec one, IIRC.
:thumbsup:

I really like these too, was another car we looked at for my girlfriend. With the scrappage deal they were offering something like 25% off on a 1.6 R Design making it £12.5k.

A friend has just brought a fully spec'd D5 R Design in white although i think they look better in two tone.

I really like these too, was another car we looked at for my girlfriend. With the scrappage deal they were offering something like 25% off on a 1.6 R Design making it £12.5k.

A friend has just brought a fully spec'd D5 R Design in white although i think they look better in two tone.

Could you ask your mate how he finds it please.I'm angling for the R Design 2.0 petrol myself.

Could you ask your mate how he finds it please.I'm angling for the R Design 2.0 petrol myself.

She loves it, only had it a couple weeks and i plan to get a drive at some point soon. The D5 has some poke aswell with its 180bhp.

Volvo do some of the best OE stereos around, if you upgrade to the Dolby Surround system.
Might not be an option on the C30, I don't know.
It's much better than the Bose option on an Audi, for example.

Looks like a no can do for me- the Co2 emission figure is too high for my companies liking, unless I get the diesel variant.

unless I get the diesel variant.

Is that a problem?
Whether you got for the 1.6D or the 2.0D, either will have a load more torque than their petrol counterparts.
Which makes them more relaxing to drive, as you're not having to constantly change gears etc.
You should go drive a 1.6 petrol and 1.6 diesel for comparison.
You'll see what I mean.
The petrol will need constant gearchanges and revs to go quickly.
The diesel won't.

Here's some facts for you.
Volvo's website has a good 'performance comparison' tool.

C30 1.6 petrol.
100PS @ 6000 rpm (power)
150nm @ 4000 rpm (torque
0-60 11.8 seconds
Top speed 115 mph

C30 1.6 diesel
109ps @ 4000 rpm (power)
240nm @ 1750 rpm (torque)
0-60 11.3 seconds
Top speed 118 mph

Really, unless you absolutely hate diesels, you'd be daft not to go for the diesel.
It's faster and more powerful in every respect.:thumbsup:
The massive lump more torque is what you'd really notice.
240nm is the same amount of torque as Volvo's 2.0 turbo petrol engine.:smashin:

Last edited:
Thansk for the factoids mate:). TBH with you I have had diesels for the last 9 years and my current Passat is a diesel too- I really did just fancy a change back to petrol. Having said that I may well have another think about the Volvo.
The other thing that is annoying me is that due to a change in company policy we now have to keep our vehicles for 4 years instead of 3. I'm not sure if I might hanker back for a 'bigger' bodied car within that time frame.
But I do love the look of the S30, especially in R Design.

Thansk for the factoids mate:). TBH with you I have had diesels for the last 9 years and my current Passat is a diesel too- I really did just fancy a change back to petrol. Having said that I may well have another think about the Volvo.
The other thing that is annoying me is that due to a change in company policy we now have to keep our vehicles for 4 years instead of 3. I'm not sure if I might hanker back for a 'bigger' bodied car within that time frame.
But I do love the look of the S30, especially in R Design.

If you want slightly bigger, consider the S40. Like the C30, the S40 uses the Ford C1 platform - the same as the Focus, which is an excellent and highly rated chassis. The S40 will be a little bigger and more 'grown up' if you like.

Both are extremely decent motors. If my budget stretched, I'd have either in R Design with the D5 engine.

I wouldn't go for the S40 or V50.
They must be due for replacement soon, they've been out for ages.
I remember test-driving one in 2005, and it hasn't changed much/any since then.:eek:
Nothing more annoying than getting a new car, then finding out a new one comes out soon after.:facepalm:

Boss at work just got a fully loaded S40, and theres me thinking he wasnt that old. :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom