1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Volunteer wanted ........

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by theritz, Jul 23, 2003.

1. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The FAQ is lacking a definitive post on how to hook up a range of equipment to a projector - as we regularly get a "how do I hook up...x...x...x..x...x to my PJ ?" threads, this would be a helpful addition.

While there have been relatively few direct contributions to the FAQ, it continues to clock up hits, so hopefully it's doing it's thing. I'm anxious to keep it up-to-date, and have added links from posts where it has occured to me that an item might be of wide interest.

Now requesting an experienced volunteer to write a piece on this subject, covering ProV, Iscan etc, Scart switching, routing through AV amp, PS2, X-box, SKY, PC etc. with the options available and hopefully a few diagrams. If the resultant piece is too big for the FAQ, I'm sure we could persuade Admin to carry it on the forum as an additional sticky/whatever.

My set-up is fairly simple, so I'm not really geared up to write a piece such as this - hence the request for a volunteer.

Any takers..... ??

Sean G.

2. Chaos Star

Chaos Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    You hit the nail on the edd there "definitive". The FAQ is a vague collection of posts, with some threads having conflicting advice and others that dont seem to go anywhere. Not slating it, I found many a handy tip in there :).

Need some definitive articles that will give novices all the information they need.

Would be good if all main projectors had their own FAQ.

Various Screens Discussed:

Paint wall Ice storm
    Home made Black out
    >etc
    Electric

Connections covered in depth

Projector Mounting

Calibration

Tweeking (filters etc)

Jeez wait a minute then we would have nout to talk about.

;)

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The FAQ might well be a collection of posts but it was assembled to point people towards technical information and threads dealing with the various popular projectors, as well as threads dealing with recurring themes. There are also links leading offsite (with Admin agreement) to technical explanations for the info-hungry.

That's the point, in part, of this request for a volunteer - I don't believe it is possible to give novices "all the information they need" - peoples budgets needs and circumstances are all different, but there are areas, such as connecting stuff up, where a decent exposition on the topic would be of assistance to newcomers and regulars alike.

As for the rest of your post, there are already links in the FAQ to posts dealing with mounting projectors, filters, and constructing home-made screens. If there is anything you'd like to contribute or a piece you'd like to write for the FAQ, it would be very welcome, no doubt.

Otherwise, volunteer/s still required.............

Sean G.

4. Chaos Star

Chaos Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Just pointing the Volunteer/s in the right direction :) , my literacy level is far to low to assemble an article.

5. frog

frog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently on the painful road to getting connections sorted out at home, wanting to connect PC (HCPC), DVD, TiVo to projector. Currently using S-video, but RGB/VGA seems the way forward. There is sooo much information out there, but everything relates to a slightly different piece of equipment and typically doesn't match your particular setup.
    i guess I could go out and buy everything I need, but trying to do it on a budget am I looking for DIY alternatives.
    I will happily contribute my findings once I have got somewhere. At the moment, things are not looking promising.

Cheers

6. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Any of the regulars feel like taking this on ??

Bump !

Sean G.

7. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Come on ladies & gents........surely someone is up for this :)

Would do it myself (maybe still will :smashin: ) be it not for time constraints :(

Your forum needs you.

:smoke:

8. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hello,

I will give this a go. It shall take a few days, and when done I shall e-mail it to theritz to check over.

Wish me luck.

Rob

9. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Rob,

Thanks - when you've done, drop me a PM - we'll get Kramer to cast an eye over it - I'm not particularly strong on this subject.

Thanks again - much appreciated.

Sean G.

10. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How's it coming along Pulsar?

:)

11. Mirablo

Mirablo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It would be nice to have a checklist with all the things too look for when demoing a PJ and also when ordering. its all too easy to get tangled in the ooooh aaaah at a demo and not end up with whats best for you .. mabe its just me but things like 1:1 mapping what signal youre going to be able to feed it get a demo of it on that .. no good seeing them on a HTPC if you dont have one? things like that. also what you need to buy with the PJ and questions to ask when buying. just so ppl can go for a demo armed with the right questions. mabe its just common sence and i have none if so ignore my waffle :D

12. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Mirablo,

Thanks for the suggestion. I would hesittate to try and write a "what to look out for" guide to buying a projector, other than to advise people to figure out their budget, see as many demos of models in that budget, get a home demo if possible, and make a choice informed by your own eyes.

The issue of seeing PJs demoed using specific kit is a different issue. In my (limited) experience, demo's have been pretty poor, with shared or indifferent signals running the PJ. I have never seen a PJ demoed commercially using a hcpc. I know that there are dealers with excellent demo facilities, and would expect that these would be explaining what kit they were using.

The issue of "what you need to buy" with a PJ really depends on what you've already got...... the issue has been covered fairly regularly in response to newcomers, and I don't think there's a "one size fits all" answer.

Maybe I'm biased because I read everything I could lay my hands on before getting into FP - I'd be happy to hear from anyone with a different view who'd like to write a "Guide for First-Time Buyers".

All the best,

Sean G.

13. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hi Guys,

Sorry for being so quiet, give me about 2 days, and I will have something for you to look at at.

Cheers

Rob

14. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Rob,

Good to hear from you.......... don't be in any great rush - it'd be great to get something underway, but you ain't under any pressure from anyone here.

All the best,

Sean.